Sign in with
Your question

Linux mint installation

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
February 11, 2013 2:20:32 PM

I installed linux mint 14 cinnamon on my usb and used a program called universal-usb-installer which exctracts the iso file in the usb, i reboot and enter the bios and change the 1st boot drive to the usb, and when i went to it said start linux and more things to go on, i clicked on start linux, it loaded and some kind of cmd popped up with commands and such, and it keeps on showing "Nouvea failed to idle channel 2 - 3 - 4" and it just does that, and sometimes it switches to a blank black screen and it switches back. I heard its something about nvidia cards (i have nvidia gtx8800)

Any help?
February 12, 2013 4:23:57 PM

help? anyone ?
m
l
February 12, 2013 5:34:08 PM

1.) don't bump your own posts please. it is bad etiquette.

2.) the nouvea driver should support your 8800gtx
http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/CodeNames#NV50

3.) when you get to the boot options, please try to use 'nomodeset', or 'xforcevesa' as boot options. You can add these parameters by pressing tab when you are at the grub boot menu.

4.) also check that the md5sum of your .iso matches the listed md5 on mint website.
alternatively try mint xfce and see if the issue persists.
m
l
February 12, 2013 7:43:31 PM

skittle said:
1.) don't bump your own posts please. it is bad etiquette.

2.) the nouvea driver should support your 8800gtx
http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/CodeNames#NV50

3.) when you get to the boot options, please try to use 'nomodeset', or 'xforcevesa' as boot options. You can add these parameters by pressing tab when you are at the grub boot menu.

4.) also check that the md5sum of your .iso matches the listed md5 on mint website.
alternatively try mint xfce and see if the issue persists.

I have tried the nomodeset and xforcevesa on start linux mint selection and it still does the same thing, i dont know exactly on which one to enter the commands, to start compatibility mode, memory test, boot from local drive, or start linux mint?
I dont know what to do on 4 with the md5sum, can you explain it to me, this is the first time tryina install linux and i have no experience i only use w7.

Thanks
m
l
Related resources
!