Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Homebuild PC for dual boot Linux

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
February 12, 2013 8:09:11 PM

Hi guys,

I am building a desktop for gaming and statistical analysis. I would like to run dual boot because Linux is superior for some academic programs.

I am already going down the SSS + HD path because I want my OS on an SSD and all my files on an HD.

My question is do you think I should dual boot windows 7 and linux on the same SSD? Or should I just get another cheap, small SSD and install Linux on that?

Cheers

More about : homebuild dual boot linux

Best solution

February 13, 2013 10:32:14 AM

I'd go with the second option - safest to keep them as separate as possible. Depends partly on capacity too. If your SSD is a 120GB, two operating systems plus software will be pretty snug. A 250GB drive would give some nice breathing room with two operating systems installed, though I'd still be inclined to have Linux on its own drive.

Keep in mind Linux will need an additional partition for swap space too, although that could go on the hard disk and just use an SSD for the OS itself.
February 13, 2013 10:45:07 AM

sam_p_lay said:
I'd go with the second option - safest to keep them as separate as possible. Depends partly on capacity too. If your SSD is a 120GB, two operating systems plus software will be pretty snug. A 250GB drive would give some nice breathing room with two operating systems installed, though I'd still be inclined to have Linux on its own drive.

Keep in mind Linux will need an additional partition for swap space too, although that could go on the hard disk and just use an SSD for the OS itself.

Yeh I could just keep a cheap 64gb ssd and put linux on that I guess.
Cheers
m
l
Related resources
February 13, 2013 5:13:16 PM

Sounds like a plan :-) I have an old 160GB split three ways for three Linux distributions (minus swap is ~50GB each) and space hasn't been any problem at all.
m
l
February 23, 2013 9:51:27 PM

Best answer selected by ageo7836.
m
l
!