Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Streaming Video (Internet) Causes Vista 64 bit Home Premium to Crash

Last response: in Windows Vista
April 21, 2009 9:51:55 PM

I have an odd issue. I have a Vista 64 bit system, 1000 W power supply, 8 gigs of ram.

Game runs beautifully. I can game for hours, push the limits..but i have a strange issue. Using Chrome, I.E Firefox or Safari, every once and a while watching internet streaming video, the computer freezes 100%. I thought this was a flash issue for a while but on netflix i switched to a microsoft silver light 'viewer', and it happened again even then. I can go hours sometimes, days and never experiance the issue, then sometimes ill have the issue early into watching a simple ccn video.

Whats oder is watching dvds or anything, ive never ever had the issue. Its just media im watching in a web browser for some reason. Any idea what it could be?

When the machine freezes it will keep replaying the last instance of whatever audio was playing (very annoying!) and needs a hard reboot.
April 21, 2009 11:27:54 PM

List your system specs. including CPU. MB, RAM, Video card, etc. Could be hardware related. Install the latest video card driver. In BIOS, be sure to set the RAM voltage to the required voltage specified by the RAM Mfg. BIOS will default PC26400 to 1.8v., your DIMMS may require more voltage than default. Download the latest version of Adobe Flash Player. Flash Player does not run on Internet Exploer 64 bit. Use default Explorer for streaming video using Adobe flash player.

http://www.adobe.com/
Score
July 22, 2009 1:07:52 AM

I have the same problem. It only happens when I watch streaming videos in full screen. It does not crash at once, the video output gets a bit garbled (blocky and fuzzy). Less than a second after I leave full screen, the video freezes, sounds repeat, and ctrl+alt+dlt does not work. I have to hard reboot. No BSOD, no recovery.

My specs:

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz, 2666 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS P5N-D ACPI BIOS Revision 0203, 12/26/2007
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 2.00 GB

Adapter Type GeForce 9600 GT, NVIDIA compatible
Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT
Adapter RAM 512.00 MB (536,870,912 bytes)
Installed Drivers nvd3dumx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2um
Driver Version 7.15.11.8250

Thanks,
Michael
Score
Related resources
August 3, 2009 1:26:41 AM

Hi Guys,

I have one possible solution. Unplug everything you have added to your system besides the mouse and keyboard.

I spent all day on this and I'm kicking myself for not seeing the obvious. I usually don't write on forums to give help, but I've seen a lot these with the flash issue and thought i would show my findings or two cents because i would have loved to have found it a lot earlier.

I have a new system that that i would contend to be quite nice. I have a Radeon HD 4650, which is above average video card, and can handle playing back new games and 1080p movies.

I was utterly flustered with the fact that anything with flash in it would crash my browsers with error messages ranging from shockware to flash activex. I read a forum which said that your ram could be crap or its not getting enough voltage to it and it dies while trying to decode the flash. That's when i noticed forums that talked about video cards that are showing blocking and artifacting ( specifically pink and green markings) from being too old or too weak (from voltage.) Which my card was doing also.

So i started to read all this info on overclocking and how to go about changing your bios to allow more voltage. That's when i stumbled upon power supply issues, where systems are made with just the bare minimum of wattage on the PSU and if something is allocating more power to certain devices i.e. flash, usb powered objects, ipod, external harddrives, and just basically anything else you might have plugged into your computer, it will not have enough wattage left over to appropriately power your video card.

So thus, unplug all the crap that's connected to your computer. No matter how minute you think it is, even if it has a ac adapter and is powered via other means, unplug it.

Now granted that you have the latest version of Firefox or IE and have the latest version of flash, you will be able to see if the fllash crash problem is coming from a low wattage PSU.

Your friend and mine,
Matthew B.

Score
December 4, 2009 10:15:22 AM

Update:

My computer still crashes. Not every time, but sometimes. I have never had a crash with DivX in full screen. I can watch movies, play high end games (Crysis, UT3), etc. But, a flash video in full screen crashes the system.
Score
Anonymous
December 10, 2009 4:27:09 AM

miguelito said:
Update:

My computer still crashes. Not every time, but sometimes. I have never had a crash with DivX in full screen. I can watch movies, play high end games (Crysis, UT3), etc. But, a flash video in full screen crashes the system.

I have the exact same problem...

More details about my computer

Component Details Subscore Base score
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Extreme CPU X9650 @ 3.00GHz 5.9 5.9
Determined by lowest subscore

Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB 5.9
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 5.9
Gaming graphics 2815 MB Total available graphics memory 5.9
Primary hard disk 37GB Free (466GB Total) 5.9
Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate

System
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer NVIDIA
Model 132-CK-NF79
Total amount of system memory 4.00 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 4

Storage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 932 GB
Disk partition (C:)  37 GB Free (466 GB Total)
Disk partition (D:)  237 GB Free (466 GB Total)
Media drive (E:)  CD/DVD
Media drive (F:)  CD/DVDCD/DVD
Media drive (G:)  CD/DVDCD/DVDCD/DVD

Graphics

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280
Total available graphics memory 2815 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 1024 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 1791 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.16.11.9107
Secondary monitor resolution 1680x1050
Primary monitor resolution 1680x1050
DirectX version DirectX 10

Network

Network Adapter NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet
Network Adapter NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet
Network Adapter Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter
Network Adapter Realtek RTL8192u 802.11n Wireless LAN USB 2.0 Network Adapter

Score
Anonymous
January 20, 2010 7:04:30 PM

Does the BSOD occur around the same time that you screen saver will activate? Try disabling the screen saver during play back manually, or automatically like in media player.

miguelito said:
I have the same problem. It only happens when I watch streaming videos in full screen. It does not crash at once, the video output gets a bit garbled (blocky and fuzzy). Less than a second after I leave full screen, the video freezes, sounds repeat, and ctrl+alt+dlt does not work. I have to hard reboot. No BSOD, no recovery.

My specs:

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz, 2666 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS P5N-D ACPI BIOS Revision 0203, 12/26/2007
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 2.00 GB

Adapter Type GeForce 9600 GT, NVIDIA compatible
Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT
Adapter RAM 512.00 MB (536,870,912 bytes)
Installed Drivers nvd3dumx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2um
Driver Version 7.15.11.8250

Thanks,
Michael

Score
February 4, 2010 1:30:37 AM

No, I do not use a screen saver. And, I did not get BSOD's I got hard crashes.

I found a solution to my problem. If you right click on the flash screen and untick "enable hardware acceleration" then everything works fine. I found out about two months ago, but I was not sure right away (when it used to happen, it did not happen every time.)

So, disable hardware acceleration for flash videos, in the flash settings and it should work.
Score
March 1, 2010 9:32:44 PM

My girlfriend's computer has the same problem; video freezes after a while with last sound repeating, needs hard reboot

ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO AM3 AMD 785G Motherboard
Rosewill RP500-2 500W ATX12V v2.01 Power Supply
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
PNY 8800 GT 516 MG

unchecked enable hardware acceleration, still freezes
Score
June 15, 2010 2:47:41 PM

I am having the same problem, only happens with flash video. I installed 4 sticks of ram = 8g late last summer, if i remember right that is about when i started having the system lockups, hard reboot is only way around it.

Divx video doesnt do it so far neither does playing any games or watching dvd's. I do run dual monitors though and my PSU is 600 watts. I have a quad core, new 250gt nvidia card and just installed a brand new Chiltech Ultra cooler.

My cpu was under load running in the mid to high 70's now runs in th 40's but the problem still is happening. I am at a total loss now as to what to do, I have unchecked hardware acceleration in the flash videos and it still crashes.

I have done stress tests and memory diagnostics and the only thing that seemed to be a problem was the cpu was getting to hot to run the full tests. I think I am going to look at what my ram voltage is and look up the required voltage to see if that might be a cause.

If anyone else has anymore advice they can give me then by all means please do.
Score
!