Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need help installing nvidia drivers for linux mint 14

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
Share
February 13, 2013 2:51:05 PM

I can only boot from the live version of linux mint 14 using nomodeset, i need to install drivers for my graphics card on linux because it wont boot the one that i have installed, i dont know how and which one to install, i have asus gtx 8800 and i have no experience with linux, can someone tell me the steps i have to take to install drivers on my live version of linux to my hardrive to my installed version linux?

Thanks
a b 5 Linux
February 13, 2013 3:35:48 PM

Glad you are able to boot now!
1.)add the xorg-edgers repository to apt list
2.)update system with 'apt-get update'
3.)install the nvidia packages needed

  1. sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
  2. sudo apt-get update
  3. sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings


this should install latest nvidia driver

edit: i see you are in the live environment, in that case you need to 'chroot' in to your installed version first (you should learn to do this anyway to fix a broken system). Or like i mentioned in your other post, simply append 'nomodeset' to your kernel options when at the grub boot list.

This thread, first post, has info on how to do it (very easy)
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132
find part bolded "How to temporarily set kernel boot options on an installed OS (not wubi)"
February 13, 2013 4:26:24 PM

skittle said:
Glad you are able to boot now!
1.)add the xorg-edgers repository to apt list
2.)update system with 'apt-get update'
3.)install the nvidia packages needed

  1. sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
  2. sudo apt-get update
  3. sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings


this should install latest nvidia driver

edit: i see you are in the live environment, in that case you need to 'chroot' in to your installed version first (you should learn to do this anyway to fix a broken system). Or like i mentioned in your other post, simply append 'nomodeset' to your kernel options when at the grub boot list.

This thread, first post, has info on how to do it (very easy)
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132
find part bolded "How to temporarily set kernel boot options on an installed OS (not wubi)"

THANKS!!! I LOVE YOU FULL HOMO!!
Related resources
February 13, 2013 4:33:49 PM

Also does linux need any antivirus software? and why does the cursor disappear when i dont move it? its so annoying, is there any way that i can disable that? And also why is the screen size only 1024 x 768, in windows 7 it was bigger? :S
a b 5 Linux
February 14, 2013 5:25:38 AM

zcosmin said:
Also does linux need any antivirus software? and why does the cursor disappear when i dont move it? its so annoying, is there any way that i can disable that? And also why is the screen size only 1024 x 768, in windows 7 it was bigger? :S


generally linux doesnt need antivirus like most windows installations, but you can run 'clamav' if you want.
cursor disappear? sounds like a cinnamon specific issue.. doesnt do that for me with openbox. hope someone else will know.

if you use vesa drivers, you wont get full resolution. install nvidia drivers then to set your desktop resolution, suggest install and run 'arandr'
  1. sudo apt-get install arandr
February 14, 2013 6:05:27 AM

Guys if you do, sudo apt-get remove unclutter it will make your cursor not disappear and thanks for all the help skittles i would select your answer the best but its a discussion :L
March 7, 2013 2:49:42 AM

zcosmin said:
Also does linux need any antivirus software? and why does the cursor disappear when i dont move it? its so annoying, is there any way that i can disable that? And also why is the screen size only 1024 x 768, in windows 7 it was bigger? :S



There is a BitDefender product that works with Linux (BitDefender for Unices)... That being said, I've never had a problem with viruses in Linux, but it doesn't hurt to have extra protection.
March 7, 2013 2:38:47 PM

There is really no need for antivirus in Linux. Linux requires you to login as super-user to install any programs. It will not change your system without your approval. In fact this is one of the huge advantages that Linux has over Windows.
a b \ Driver
a b 5 Linux
March 7, 2013 2:47:27 PM

Aristotelian said:
Linux requires you to login as super-user to install any programs. It will not change your system without your approval. In fact this is one of the huge advantages that Linux has over Windows.

That reply is not true. Just as with Windows, you can easily install programs in Linux without having root privileges.
a b \ Driver
a b 5 Linux
March 7, 2013 4:49:52 PM

I presume that you are referring to pint 1. It is incorrect; the most popular Linux distribution, Ubuntu, makes user administrators by default (via the "sudo" command) just as surely as Windows 7. Both systems will ask for confirmation of potentially destructive commands. But, whereas it is common for Windows users to be unable to install programs (particularly in an enterprise environment), almost any Linux installation will allow users to install programs in their home directory. And Windows allows far more sophisticated control of permissions than Linux.

The major reasons that Windows is (apparently) less secure than Linux are (i) Linux users are generally more knowledgeable and (ii) Windows is a bigger target. This seems to be changing as Linux dumbs down.
March 7, 2013 5:22:58 PM

Yes, Ubuntu logs you in automatically as the primary user, but don't you still have to enter a password any time you make a system change?

Regardless, I have run Ubuntu for about 3 years now, never installed antivirus, never gotten a virus. The last time I had Windows, my wife got a virus every other month. After the last one, I made the switch and never looked back.
March 11, 2013 1:00:13 PM

You will only need a firewall for linux, since there are no viruses/threats for linux..
!