Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How to find CPU temp?

Last response: in CPUs
May 28, 2007 3:27:39 PM

Please pardon the newbie question, but how do I know what temperature my CPU is running?

Is this a software thing or do I have to have some device connected to the CPU or MOBO?

I'm running an AMD X2 3800 on an ASUS A8N5X.

Thanks.

More about : find cpu temp

May 28, 2007 3:39:55 PM

When your within windows, yes. You would need some kind of software that would read your temp sensors.

The Asus CD should have it's own temp app for the MB, or you could use other free apps off the web:

Core Temp

Speedfan

When you boot/reboot your PC, you can obtain your temps within the bios which should have some kind of health monitor. Keep in mind that when your in the bios, your CPU will have a load on it vs being within windows. So you should see lower temps while in windows, rather then in the bios.
May 28, 2007 7:52:31 PM

Thanks Grimmy.

I downloaded Core Temp 0.95 and found out that my cores were running between 30 and34 C with not much going on and up to 42 c when I loaded a bunch of financial programs with lots of 2D charts (I have 2 monitors). Mostly between 30 and 33 C.

By the way, Grimmy is one of my all time faborite cartoons. I've actually written Mike Peters a couple of times to compliment his Grimmy cartoons and received replies both times. He's very nice. I have one of his cartoons about "Sleep Disorders In Cats" up on the fridge. If you have a cat, you'll know what I mean.

Thanks again.

gar
Related resources
May 28, 2007 8:10:41 PM

Your temps are absolutely normal. All is well. Asus should have provided you the PC Probe software with that board. It will give the same readings (or close) to what you got from Core Temp.
May 28, 2007 8:22:00 PM

Thanks Nim.

ASUS may have provided the temp check software, I just may not have noticed or found it.

I have a tendency to NOT read manuals. Usually I just plug things in and forge ahead. If it doesn't work, I bumble around till I figure it out.

Thanks again.
May 28, 2007 9:31:45 PM

Quote:
I have a tendency to NOT read manuals. Usually I just plug things in and forge ahead. If it doesn't work, I bumble around till I figure it out.

Tsk, what a terrible thing to do

*whistles self-conciously*
May 28, 2007 9:37:23 PM

Quote:
...I have a tendency to NOT read manuals. Usually I just plug things in and forge ahead. If it doesn't work, I bumble around till I figure it out...
If that was true, you wouldn't be here asking for help...
May 28, 2007 9:45:24 PM

Quote:
Thanks Grimmy.

I downloaded Core Temp 0.95 and found out that my cores were running between 30 and34 C with not much going on and up to 42 c when I loaded a bunch of financial programs with lots of 2D charts (I have 2 monitors). Mostly between 30 and 33 C.

By the way, Grimmy is one of my all time faborite cartoons. I've actually written Mike Peters a couple of times to compliment his Grimmy cartoons and received replies both times. He's very nice. I have one of his cartoons about "Sleep Disorders In Cats" up on the fridge. If you have a cat, you'll know what I mean.

Thanks again.

gar

I remember watching those cartoon as a kid, and enjoyed them. I decided to use that name for a linux box I used a long while back when I was getting into linux, and thought why not for forumz nick. :D 

I actually named my other linux box goose, that my dad used to use. :lol: 

those temps look very good, like the other guys mentioned. I actually put systems together without reading the manual, but lately since things are changing, I do glance through them on particular things (pin outs or headers).

And sometimes I end up reading the manual once the PC is up and running downloading the PDF file on it. :lol: 
May 29, 2007 3:17:59 PM

"If that was true, you wouldn't be here asking for help..."

That's at least partially true.

Thank the tech God's for Tom's and you guys.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 16, 2010 6:04:38 AM

ghosting badass said:
garryhope did u eat your weetabix this morning? i swear to god ur a fuckin dirty crack smoker, wtf are u talkin bout cats for, u dirty pig, get a bath

wots a cpu? com puter utility? i have over 20 yeears experience on a computer and i know a lot but not this thng
August 26, 2010 8:06:32 AM

I have been looking over the temp threads and I am a little worried about my system temps,
granted I am not housing all my bits in a freezer from wallmart but I think I am running
to hot. Any advice would be welcomed.

Nvidia GT9600
AMD Phenom II x4 940 3.01GHz
x1 120mm Case Fan
PSU Scythe Stronger 700w
Gelid Tranquillo Quiet CPU Cooler
NZXT Hush Black Silent Case

4 GB Ram
x2 HDD
x1 DvD
Dual monitors.

Cpu @ 49 degrees celcius
mobo @ 45 degrees celcius
Fan @ 1548 rpm
Vcore @ 1.41v
+12V @ 12.16v

Temps taken sat at the desktop. I am not overclocked in anyway.
a b à CPUs
August 26, 2010 1:02:18 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!