How to install ubuntu on netbook with new ssd

skweegi

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
Hello, thanks for any help you can provide.

I have a samsung netbook that I wanted to rejuvenate, so I tossed in a SSD and I am attempting to install Ubuntu.

Intel Atom N450 CPU
Samsung 120GB SSD 840 Series
2gb Crucial Ram

The SSD is installed and the BIOS recognizes it without fault.

I downloaded Ubuntu to a thumb drive from here: Download Ubuntu Desktop | Ubuntu
I plugged the thumb drive into a USB port and started the netbook.
I get an error message that says this: "Pen Drive Without Operating System. Remove Pen Drive and Reboot. Operating System Not Found".

I have changed the boot order back and forth between the SSD and USB with no change in results.

Notes:
#1 This is a netbook with NO CD/DVD drive. I cannot install the drivers for an external drive until I have an operating system, so Ubuntu on disk does not seem to be an option.
#2 This is a completely new and blank SSD, I cannot download and install directly from ubuntu.com
#3 I have found advice on the web encouraging me to use a pc currently using Ubuntu and create a system image disc. I do not currently have a pc with ubuntu already installed so this is a problem.
#4 I would be willing to try another Linux setup like Fedora if that has a workaround for this issue.
#5 I would be willing to install just about any free operating system via thumbdrive if only temporarily so I could then install ubuntu, fedora, etc.

Thank you for any help
Matt

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
How exactly did you get the OS on your thumb drive? You should download the ISO, then use a program called Universal USB Installer to put the OS on your thumb drive. It will make a bootable installer.

Re #5: Installing via thumb drive as mentioned above is all you need to do, no need to do any other installation.

skweegi

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012

Thanks, I simply went to ubuntu.com and used their download feature via firefox, then transferred the file(s) over to a thumb drive.

I assumed (incorrectly I suppose) that all I needed to do was insert that thumbdrive, make sure the boot order was correct, and turn on the computer. Basically, that's what I've done anytime I've installed from an ubuntu cd or windows cd.

So, once the "Universal USB Installer" is downloaded to my laptop (windows), then what?
Can I once again install the download directly from ubuntu.com or do I need to find someone with ubuntu already installed and make "system image disc" (or save to thumbdrive)?

Thanks

I prefer lili over UUI, easier, constantly updated, checks md5's...
http://www.linuxliveusb.com/
The guide has everything you need to know.
http://www.linuxliveusb.com/en/help/guide

TL;DR:
1.)plug in usb drive
2.)select distro from list (you can use an already downloaded .iso, or lili can automatically download a fresh one for you)
3.)click install button (optionally format drive)
4.)reboot+select usb drive from boot menu

basically it copies the contents of the .iso to the usb drive and makes it bootable.

skweegi

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
Took me until this weekend to get back to this project, but I wanted to make sure I updated you guys.

After a first attempt that ended with some kind of corrupted file, I started over and it installed fine.

Besides having a working Ubuntu netbook, I have a thumbdrive ready to do more installs.

Thank you very much for your knowledge and willingness to take a few minutes out of your day to help someone else.

Cheers!