security from mac to pc

samolo

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
Hi to everyone interested on helping me. First of all thank you, any comments will be appreciated.
Now going to the problem. I have a iMAC running mac os X (10.3.xx) and i have a laptop running XP (sp2). I tried with success sharing internet from the iMAC connected to ethernet to my laptop. This was done when no security was enabled. But when I tried to secure the network with a simple 64-bit WEP password, I could not connect the laptop to the iMAC. I sincerely do not know what is the problem. I tried different times with different articles I found over the net, but no one worked.

I need some help.

brw02005

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
Yeah first off WEP is not secure can be broken 3 minutes guess it's better than nothing. Ad-hoc networking is tricky especially when dealing with different chipsets never mind different operating systems. I suggest just buy a WRT54G router for $50 on newegg and set up WPA2 encryption. Believe me if your work at a job with the hours you'll spend trying to fix the ad-hoc you might as well just get a router. It will also give you better throughput for file sharing between computers.