Dumb question - accent mark

May 27, 2005 2:54:52 PM

I have the accent mark on my Compaq computer but I can't figure out how to
type one over top of a letter. Can anyone help?

Robert
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 2:54:53 PM

In news:ZwGle.13804$eR.2449@fe05.lga,
Robert <projecttoday@yahoo.com> typed:

> I have the accent mark on my Compaq computer but I can't figure
> out
> how to type one over top of a letter. Can anyone help?

You mean like à?

You don't type accent marks *over* a letter. You type an accented
character. The character "à" is a different character from "a"

There are several different ways to type accented characters,
some easier than others. If you do this much, you may want to do
what I do. I use a little freeware background program called
AllChars. This lets me (in all applications) type many common
special characters (many of these are used in other languages) by
pressing the ctrl key followed by a two character mnemonic
combination.
For example, for ñ the two characters are ~ and n. For ç it's c
and , For ü it's u and "

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 3:03:32 PM

Accents etc are available in various fonts.. open up 'Character Map' to see
them..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Robert" <projecttoday@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have the accent mark on my Compaq computer but I can't figure out how to
>type one over top of a letter. Can anyone help?
>
> Robert

Related resources
May 27, 2005 3:21:52 PM

I already have accent marks on my keyboard. I just need to type it over the
letter.
> Accents etc are available in various fonts.. open up 'Character Map' to
> see them..
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Robert" <projecttoday@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I have the accent mark on my Compaq computer but I can't figure out how to
>>type one over top of a letter. Can anyone help?
>>
>> Robert

Anonymous
May 27, 2005 3:21:53 PM

Robert wrote:
> I already have accent marks on my keyboard. I just need to type it
> over the letter.

Can't be done, unless you are using a different language input for the
keyboard or unless you use Mike's solution to copy/paste the letter with the
accent mark already in place from the Character map utility.
--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

http://www.dts-l.org/
May 27, 2005 4:06:27 PM

I'm sorry to hear that. I was banging my head into a wall trying alt,
cntrl, shift, typing the letter first, typing the accent first ...
"Ronnie Vernon MVP" <ronv@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Robert wrote:
>> I already have accent marks on my keyboard. I just need to type it
>> over the letter.
>
> Can't be done, unless you are using a different language input for the
> keyboard or unless you use Mike's solution to copy/paste the letter with
> the accent mark already in place from the Character map utility.
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
> http://www.dts-l.org/
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 4:06:28 PM

Robert wrote:
> I'm sorry to hear that. I was banging my head into a wall trying alt,
> cntrl, shift, typing the letter first, typing the accent first ...

Character Map also gives you a keyboard shortcut for each available
character. This makes it very fast and easy to insert special characters.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

http://www.dts-l.org/
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 6:36:48 PM

Robert

The keys on your keyboard are NOT accents.. they are the forward slash and
backslash separators..

Unless, of course, you are using a keyboard other than English in which case
you need to go to Regional and Languages in Control Panel, and select the
correct language for the keyboard..

--

> I'm sorry to hear that. I was banging my head into a wall trying alt,
> cntrl, shift, typing the letter first, typing the accent first ...
> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" <ronv@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Robert wrote:
>>> I already have accent marks on my keyboard. I just need to type it
>>> over the letter.
>>
>> Can't be done, unless you are using a different language input for the
>> keyboard or unless you use Mike's solution to copy/paste the letter with
>> the accent mark already in place from the Character map utility.
>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
>> http://www.dts-l.org/

May 28, 2005 6:49:29 AM

Thanks.
> In news:ZwGle.13804$eR.2449@fe05.lga,
> Robert <projecttoday@yahoo.com> typed:
>
>> I have the accent mark on my Compaq computer but I can't figure out
>> how to type one over top of a letter. Can anyone help?
>

> You mean like à?
>
> You don't type accent marks *over* a letter. You type an accented
> character. The character "à" is a different character from "a"
>
> There are several different ways to type accented characters, some easier
> than others. If you do this much, you may want to do what I do. I use a
> little freeware background program called AllChars. This lets me (in all
> applications) type many common special characters (many of these are used
> in other languages) by pressing the ctrl key followed by a two character
> mnemonic combination.
> For example, for ñ the two characters are ~ and n. For ç it's c and , For
> ü it's u and "

> Please reply to the newsgroup

May 28, 2005 6:49:56 AM

Where is Character Map?
> Robert wrote:
>> I'm sorry to hear that. I was banging my head into a wall trying alt,
>> cntrl, shift, typing the letter first, typing the accent first ...
>
> Character Map also gives you a keyboard shortcut for each available
> character. This makes it very fast and easy to insert special characters.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
> http://www.dts-l.org/
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 2:50:11 PM

In news:YvUle.606$HN1.165@fe02.lga,
Robert <projecttoday@yahoo.com> typed:

> Thanks.

You're welcome. Glad to help.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

>> In news:ZwGle.13804$eR.2449@fe05.lga,
>> Robert <projecttoday@yahoo.com> typed:
>>
>>> I have the accent mark on my Compaq computer but I can't
>>> figure out
>>> how to type one over top of a letter. Can anyone help?
>>

>> You mean like à?
>>
>> You don't type accent marks *over* a letter. You type an
>> accented
>> character. The character "à" is a different character from "a"
>>
>> There are several different ways to type accented characters,
>> some
>> easier than others. If you do this much, you may want to do
>> what I
>> do. I use a little freeware background program called
>> AllChars. This
>> lets me (in all applications) type many common special
>> characters
>> (many of these are used in other languages) by pressing the
>> ctrl key
>> followed by a two character mnemonic combination.
>> For example, for ñ the two characters are ~ and n. For ç it's
>> c and
>> , For ü it's u and "
>>

>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 9:12:04 PM

you actually need the *character* already with the accent mark - try the
"Character Map" which is a Windows utility. You then need to select the
character you want, select, copy and paste into your document. It is
tedious, but it's the only way I know to do it - my K/bd does not come with
the marks you're talking about.

>I already have accent marks on my keyboard. I just need to type it over
>the letter.
> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> Accents etc are available in various fonts.. open up 'Character Map' to
>> see them..
>>
>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>> "Robert" <projecttoday@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>I have the accent mark on my Compaq computer but I can't figure out how
>>>to type one over top of a letter. Can anyone help?
>>>
>>> Robert

Anonymous
May 28, 2005 9:18:50 PM

Under Accessories in Windows (Start Menu) - or whereever you've arranged it
to be in your own system

> Where is Character Map?
> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" <ronv@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Robert wrote:
>>> I'm sorry to hear that. I was banging my head into a wall trying alt,
>>> cntrl, shift, typing the letter first, typing the accent first ...
>>
>> Character Map also gives you a keyboard shortcut for each available
>> character. This makes it very fast and easy to insert special characters.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
>> http://www.dts-l.org/

Anonymous
May 28, 2005 9:19:31 PM

The answer was in my post.

Entering International Characters - Character Map
Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Character Map and
transfer via the clipboard.

"Robert" <projecttoday@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Where is Character Map?
> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" <ronv@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > Robert wrote:
> >> I'm sorry to hear that. I was banging my head into a wall trying alt,
> >> cntrl, shift, typing the letter first, typing the accent first ...
> >
> > Character Map also gives you a keyboard shortcut for each available
> > character. This makes it very fast and easy to insert special
characters.

> > --
> >
> > Ronnie Vernon
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows Shell/User
> >
> > In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
> > http://www.dts-l.org/

May 29, 2005 9:25:25 AM

Thank you.
"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> The answer was in my post.
>
> Entering International Characters - Character Map
> Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Character Map and
> transfer via the clipboard.
>

> "Robert" <projecttoday@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Where is Character Map?
>> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" <ronv@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> >
>> > Character Map also gives you a keyboard shortcut for each available
>> > character. This makes it very fast and easy to insert special
> characters.
>> >
>> > --
>> >
>> > Ronnie Vernon
>> > Microsoft MVP
>> > Windows Shell/User
>> >
>> > In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
>> > http://www.dts-l.org/

May 29, 2005 9:25:47 AM

Thank you.
"Andrew Murray" <SPAMadmurray@BUSTER.iinet.net.au> wrote in message
news:o 5STFZ2YFHA.1868@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Under Accessories in Windows (Start Menu) - or whereever you've arranged
> it to be in your own system
>
> "Robert" <projecttoday@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Where is Character Map?
>> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" <ronv@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Character Map also gives you a keyboard shortcut for each available
>>> character. This makes it very fast and easy to insert special
>>> characters.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Ronnie Vernon
>>> Microsoft MVP
>>> Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
>>> http://www.dts-l.org/

Anonymous
June 6, 2005 12:04:03 PM

Hi Robert,

To my knowledge, the only way to use your accent mark key is to chang your
keyboard language to Spanish or any other language that uses it. This you can
do via the Control Panel, but it will also change many of your other keys. A
better way of using accents is maintaining your ALT key down while you use
your number keys to write accented vowels. á-160, é-160, í-161, ó-162 and
ú-163. If you're using Word, you can also find accented vowel by going to
INSERT, SYMBOL, and choosing the LATIN subset

Good Luck!
Jasmin, Microsoft Master

!