Sign in with
Your question

Windows x64 for Intel Core i7?

Last response: in Windows XP
March 12, 2009 12:54:23 AM

I am considering upgrading my system with the Core i7 920 with the X58 mobo. I am currently running Windows
XP Pro 32 bit. What benefits would I get out of upgrading to windows XP Pro x64 or Windows vista?

I realize there are some benefits to upgrading to Vista or possibly Win7 when it debuts, but how much performance
would I be sacrificing by staying with WinXP Pro 32-bit with the components I listed above. Is there any benefit to
upgrading to WinXp 64bit instead of Vista? Also, I am primarily a gamer (I don't run multiple apps at the same time very
often at all). Mainly RTS and FPS games are my main games of choice.

Thanks for any help.

More about : windows x64 intel core

March 12, 2009 7:32:32 AM

IMO, not really worth it. Upgrading to a 64bit system allows you to use more than 4GB ram, because with 32bit systems it can only use up to about 3.2GB or 3.5GB for some people apparently. But it will never be able to use up to 4GB ram or more.

But for gaming, 3GB is enough, i play a lot of new and hardcore games at high settings and i'm on a 32bit XP with 4GB ram but my system only detects about 3GB.

Games i play are e.g. Crysis Warhead, COD5, Fallout3 etc......

A bad point about changing to 64bit is the driver issues, it's quite annoying sometimes and also some apps might not work on it.
March 12, 2009 12:36:33 PM

Thanks, that was what I was wondering. Since your games choices are similar to mine I feel better about
waiting to purchase an upgrade to WinXP.
March 12, 2009 2:16:43 PM

Hold off for the Windows 7 release.

Right after Christmas I built my I7-920 computer. Initially installed Vista 64 and ran that for awhile.
Then I installed Windows 7 64bit when I received my beta CD.
All of the games(HALO 2, Call Of Duty, Battlefield 2142, Warcraft) play better on my computer now.
All my applications are working without issues. My computer is not having any driver issues.
!