What could cause a Ridiculously long Windows Vista SP1 install time?

I was wondering what could cause Windows Vista SP1 64bit to install very slowly?

On my older slower system, it took about 20-30 min to install. But my new system is installing painfully slow. What could cause that?

My HDD is set up in AHCI mode.

My Sig Rig

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5
CPU: Intel Q9550 E0
Memory: Patriot PC8500 Viper Extreme 2x2
GPU: EVGA GTX 260 55NM
PSU: PC Power and Cooling 750W Continuous 820W Peak
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB
10 answers Last reply
More about what ridiculously long windows vista install time
  1. Incorrect harddisk controller settings would be my guess.

SATA Port0-3 Native Mode should be enabled in bios. If it is, try disabling it.
  2. I found vista digs in to find more stuff. Newer machines, more transistors, addresses and confusion...let it take its sweet ass time. A fast install is the worst install.
  3. Thank you everybody for your replies!

The problem was the bios for my Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 did not support my Q9550. So i updated it, and it took about 15-20 min to install.

Also: any opinions on IDE vs AHCI?
  4. Thank you everybody for your replies!

The problem was the bios for my Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 did not support my Q9550. So i updated it, and it took about 15-20 min to install.

Also: any opinions on IDE vs AHCI?
  5. AHCI enables NCQ, which in theory speeds up harddisk performance. How much is the question. Some mobos may not like certain configs like AHCI + RAID. In such cases, AHCI + No RAID usually fixes it.
  6. Quote:

15-20 min to install
    Still sounds like a long time still! you should check you running processes could be slowing down your IDE BuS Driver for advanced Task Manager You Can Download The One I Use Everyday When Needed
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SQC0NXVP
  7. BTW... i was running in IDE mode.

And i changed it over to AHCI and to my suprise it booted a little faster...

HDTune showed no difference though
  8. BTW... i was running in IDE mode.

And i changed it over to AHCI and to my suprise it booted a little faster...

HDTune showed no difference though
  9. DEVO XxCANADAxX said:
    Quote:

15-20 min to install
    Still sounds like a long time still! you should check you running processes could be slowing down your IDE BuS Driver for advanced Task Manager You Can Download The One I Use Everyday When Needed
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SQC0NXVP

Are you talking about Installing the operating System... Or just Start up time?
    Because it only takes 30 secs to start up.
  10. I think he got confused and was thinking start-up and not install.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows Vista Hard Drives