Intake vs exhaust quetion

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
hello everyone

ok, so i have this crap computer case with only 2 rear exhaust ports, but no intake ones. i've heard that you should always have intake fans. i could make the back ports into intake fans by flipping them around, however. so what should i do?
1 intake +1 exhaust?
dual intake?
dual exhaust?

HotFoot

Distinguished
May 26, 2004
If you leave the rear fans as exhaust, are there holes/screens for air to come in through other parts of the case? What case do you have?

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
hello everyone

ok, so i have this crap computer case with only 2 rear exhaust ports, but no intake ones. i've heard that you should always have intake fans. i could make the back ports into intake fans by flipping them around, however. so what should i do?
1 intake +1 exhaust?
dual intake?
dual exhaust?

if you have 2 fans, one being exhaust and one as intake, both in the back, they will fight each other and make the pc worse.

Find out your CPU and GPU temps... you can use TAT/CoreTemp/Everest for CPU and ATI Tool for GPU.

anticupidon

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
please post a pic with your case to give the best advice
until let's see
first of all this issue intake vs outtake is a serious one
if you have 2 exhaust fans and you add an intake fan you will have a negative pressure in the case
to summarize read this topic
still to add a fan or two is a very easy mod
after reading the topic above you'll decide whta's best for you
my opinion ...go for, it start modding ...and the cheap cases are the best to begin with.... :twisted:

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
thanks for the replies. i read the topic above, and negative case pressure seems to make more sense. i already have the pci slots removed to cool the video card a bit more, so having negative case pressure will make cool air be drawn over it, cooling it further.

i cant post a pic of my case, since, frankly i dont even know what brand it is! i can tell you that it has holes (grills?) on the side panels, close to the front, on either side. the back can hold two 80mm case fans.

Technically the intake is not really needed. It is mostly to cool your Hard drive which are usually situated directly behind the intake fan. 2 Exhaust fans should be good for any case. As long as they are at the top of the read. This way they suck out all the hot air that raises and pulls cool aid in frome where it can. The negative pressure will take care of pulling in air.

utaka95

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
On a couple of different cases I tried intake fans and both times cpu temps rose as much as 2-3 degrees C. I stick with exhaust fans only.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Do a little mod and install an intake 120mm fan on the side and front if possible. The side intake works best if directed to the components such as the cpu and gpus as it can cool very effectively as to compare to just exhaust alone.

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
well if you have a few free 5.25 drive bays you could add a bay cooler as an intake fan. plus you cold add some pci slot exaust fans. I use these:

scythe kama bay

thermal take dual slot blue led exaust fan

But they do make some single 5.25 bay coolers which push alot of air.

impressive cooling solution. What, does your case have no other fans? What else besides these do you need besides a dedicated CPU and GPU cooler?

leadtrombone

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
I have one of the scythe fans, and it help draw air across my heat pipe cooler. I had a similar bay cooler in an older matx case I had acouple of years ago. The way I look at case fans is to have equal intake to exaust flow with fans rotating in mid to low speeds I like to have in the range of 40 to 60 cfm to airflow in a case.