Sign in with
Your question
Closed

An impossible to move Trojan

Last response: in Windows Vista
April 25, 2009 3:31:27 PM

System - Vista 32Bit Sp1

Anti Virus - Avast Home Edition 4.8 Up to date.

Virus - win32:adloader-ac [Trj]

Problem - The recommendation is to move it to the chest. can't be done because of "There is not enough space on the disk" "cannot process "C:\Windows\Memory.DMP" file.

Scan with other program - The program Malwarebytes - Anti malware didn't find the this Trojan in it scan.

Backgroung - 2 weeks ago while trying to open a game's installation file Avast let me know that a Trojan was trying to get in the computer.

The next day the computer started doing problems that included not responding, restarting by it self etc'.

Appearently the Trojan erased all Microsoft's updates and restore points.

For some reason the boot-time scan didn't track this Trojan.

Hope it wasn't to long.

Thank you.

More about : impossible move trojan

April 25, 2009 7:17:13 PM

Quote:
The recommendation is to move it to the chest. can't be done because of "There is not enough space on the disk" "cannot process "C:\Windows\Memory.DMP" file.
How much free disk space is available? Did you install Windows Defender? If not, give it a try as it might be able to detect and remove that trojan: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/def...
Score
April 26, 2009 1:39:48 PM

When I've tried to process the Trojan, I have had 70 GB of free space in the disk. Also I've got 4 GB of RAM that I think should be enough.

About Windows defender, it is installed and lets me know that my computer is running normally.

I tried to use Ad-Aware (Aniversary Edition) yesterday to deal with the Trojan, and he or didn't find it, or couldn't process it (eventough it (Ad-Aware) said that he managed to fix all of the problems that he found).
Score
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 26, 2009 1:45:32 PM

What makes you believe that you have a Trojan if Windows Defender and Ad-Aware can't find anything wrong? Is Avast Home Edition the only one that found it?
Score
April 26, 2009 1:52:15 PM

Indeed!

Something that I discovered a minute ago: the Trojan does appear in the virus chest, but Avast also finds it as a Trojan in his scan.
Score

Best solution

a b 8 Security
April 26, 2009 2:40:19 PM

Are you running your scans in Safe Mode?
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/safemodevista.html
April 26, 2009 2:42:59 PM

No
Score
April 26, 2009 3:34:39 PM

l_r_c_t said:
Indeed!

Something that I discovered a minute ago: the Trojan does appear in the virus chest, but Avast also finds it as a Trojan in his scan.
False detections are possible, particularly if Avast is the only one finding it.
Score
April 26, 2009 4:12:04 PM

Alright, I agree that falst detections are possibles, but the computer I think that works slower that he it worked before of the Trojan appearance.
Score
April 26, 2009 4:41:32 PM

I won't blame Avast, but when I tested it on a system that isn't very powerful (P4 2.8, Vista 32-bit and 2 GB), it slowed down the computer quite a bit and I quickly uninstalled it. I noticed the same issue on an even less powerful laptop. Why not disable Avast for a few minutes to see if it helps?
Score
April 26, 2009 4:58:35 PM

I'm sure that the problem isn't with Avast. I have a good computer (I think) 4 GB 160 GB internal disk, Core 2 duo E4500. before the opening of the installation file that was infected (the game's installation file, as written in the main post) the computer worked just fine, afterwards it started to work slowly, and all the sympthoms I mentioned before.
Score
April 26, 2009 5:16:07 PM

Then your only options are:

1. Find a tool that will clean up your system (not successful so far);
2. Restore from the last backup if the system wasn't yet infected;
3. Complete reinstall.
Score
April 27, 2009 1:28:40 PM

1. Actually I'm using a combination of a few tools and I think that they do a pretty good job.

2. As I mentioned in the main post the Trojan I think erased all the restore points.

3. What do you mean in "Complete reinstall"?
Score
April 27, 2009 11:36:33 PM

A complete reinstall means starting from scratch. Restoring from the last known good backup (assuming that you have one) is the easiest solution.
Score
April 28, 2009 1:50:40 PM

l_r_c_t,

Did Avast give you the file path of the infection?

You can use online scanners which use multiple AV engines to give you a more complete assessment of the suspect file.

http://www.virustotal.com/

http://virusscan.jotti.org/

If you have the file path and the infected file name handy can you post it also. You can post the online scan log too if you wish.
Score
April 28, 2009 1:51:37 PM

If you use one of the above sites you will need to browse to the file and upload it.
Score
April 30, 2009 12:17:41 PM

Thank you. I will do it in the next few hours.
Score
April 30, 2009 12:45:27 PM

www.malwarebytes.org

Free, you run it once and it's pretty darn powerful and thorough, it saved my ass a few times.
Score
May 1, 2009 8:49:51 AM

Malwarebytes, is a program that I'm using for a long time, and it doesn't recognize the Trojan.

Score
May 1, 2009 9:43:11 AM

Probably because it's not a Trojan then. You could just try to delete it yourself I guess. I think Trojans are one of the few forms of malware that can simply be deleted, unlike viruses. Don't quote me on that though.
Score
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 17, 2009 7:25:00 PM

Avast gives you 3 options. 1-Move to Chest, which doesn't work.
2-Move to Recycle Bin, I didn't try this. 3-Delete.
I deleted it and have had no problems so far. Avast said it had been deleted successfully.
Score
January 27, 2012 11:29:46 PM

Best answer selected by mousemonkey.
Score
January 27, 2012 11:29:50 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!