Ubuntu vs Windows Home Server 2011

Altiris

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
I am not sure which OS to get, currently my budget is $400 and I have a build after tax+shipping that is $318 (Pentium G630, 8GB ddr3, 500GB HDD). I am deciding either Ubuntu or Windows Home Server as a home server. I want to be able to do Backups of the server itself and backups of other computers on the network to the server (almost sure a 500GB drive wont be enough lol but its okay). I also want to have the feature of creating a VPN and also creating Remote Desktop and connecting to another PC using remote desktop. Windows Home Media Server might be a plus for me although I doubt I will use that so disclude that as a feature. I will also want to run a Minecraft, Call of Duty4, and maybe Counter Strike Source dedicated server (not at the same time). Which OS seems to be the best for my needs, please inform me if one OS can do something or can't.

Thanks!

(Side note, should I go for the Pentium G640 or the AMD Athlon ii x4, on andatech CPU benchmarks the Pentium peforms very close and sometimes better than the Athlon at single threaded applications, however a faster clock speed (G630 is 2.7ghz and Athlon x4 is 3.0ghz which should I get?)

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

Up to this point you've spent $318. Can't comment on the games but the rest works easily on the Ubuntu server. From what you describe (games aside) I'd install full Ubuntu and add LAMP (the actual server install) afterwards which is pretty painless, many short guides on the net just google LAMP install Ubuntu. Then I'd add WEBMIN to administer the network and Apache OpenMeetings for the communications. OpenMeetings allows you to have chat rooms and White Boards where you can place images, documents and you can even draw on it or share desktop views. You could also consider Ejabberd if you want Instant Messenger for the local network. After all that you've added a whopping $0 to your expenses leaving you $82 your favorite snacks or charity.

Altiris

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
I have another question, I was looking in Windows Home Server and a bunch of reviews aresaying that there aren't many features and there are some things that are stupid about it.

I would like to know if Ubuntu can do these things
1. Backup itself and other computers on a network
2. Run an FTP server that lets clients use FileZilla Client to connect
3. Run a Web Server to host a website
4. Run a Mail Server (really the last feature I need), how would other people sign into it, is there a client for it?

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

Yes to all.

The most complicated for me was setting up the mail server but there are options depending on what you want to do. As for connecting you get to take your pick of clients just as you would in windows. Outlook, Thunderbird any of them will work.