Help with windows xp pro activation

niloc6873

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
I have just installed windows xp pro on to my computer it worked fine but now it needs to be activated. I have tried using the product key that came on the coa sticker with the disk but it will not work. The disk I have says it is a dell reinstall disk. I am lost now can anyone tell me does this make a difference. The computer i have put it on is not a dell and came with windows xp home on it but the reinstall disk that came with my system would not work. I have been told that I need to change the hard drive so that it is clean. Is this right. I have also been told to reformat the old hard drive and then reinstall the xp pro but I dont know how to do this.
Please help.

I doubt very much that you can use a DELL OEM disk to install XP on a different computer. That copy is tied to the old Dell motherboard, and you won't be allowed to activate it. Activation is something that happens online, where your installation is verified by Microsoft.

Why didn't the disk that came with your system work?

niloc6873

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009

I dont know I tried to install it and it said it could not copy files then would not finish loading.