How to turn ON registry editing

I need to delete a registry item but XP by default turns this funtion off. I
get an "Error While Deleting Key" message when attempting to delet a folder.

How do I turn it ON?

Thanks
MikeT
3 answers Last reply
More about turn registry editing

    On Fri, 27 May 2005 10:50:11 -0500, Windows XP wrote:

    > I need to delete a registry item but XP by default turns this funtion off. I
    > get an "Error While Deleting Key" message when attempting to delet a folder.
    >
    > How do I turn it ON?
    >
    > Thanks
    > MikeT

    Is the key or one of the subkeys it contains protected by permissions?
    While logged on with an account that belongs to the administrator group,
    right click on a registry key and select permissions. Edit permissions to
    give the Administrator group the necessary permissions to perform the
    failed operation.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Yeah, I've checked permissions are set correctly and I still cannot delete a
    KEY?!

    > On Fri, 27 May 2005 10:50:11 -0500, Windows XP wrote:
    >
    >> I need to delete a registry item but XP by default turns this funtion
    >> off. I
    >> get an "Error While Deleting Key" message when attempting to delet a
    >> folder.
    >>
    >> How do I turn it ON?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> MikeT
    >
    > Is the key or one of the subkeys it contains protected by permissions?
    > While logged on with an account that belongs to the administrator group,
    > right click on a registry key and select permissions. Edit permissions to
    > give the Administrator group the necessary permissions to perform the
    > failed operation.
    >
    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    In this case, in addition to the Administrators group, add your username and give it full control of the key in question.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "Windows XP" <mike@feedbackhost.com> wrote in message news:O69UeltYFHA.3636@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > Yeah, I've checked permissions are set correctly and I still cannot delete a
    > KEY?!
    >

    > "Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 27 May 2005 10:50:11 -0500, Windows XP wrote:
    >>
    >>> I need to delete a registry item but XP by default turns this funtion
    >>> off. I
    >>> get an "Error While Deleting Key" message when attempting to delet a
    >>> folder.
    >>>
    >>> How do I turn it ON?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> MikeT
    >>
    >> Is the key or one of the subkeys it contains protected by permissions?
    >> While logged on with an account that belongs to the administrator group,
    >> right click on a registry key and select permissions. Edit permissions to
    >> give the Administrator group the necessary permissions to perform the
    >> failed operation.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Sharon F
    >> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User