Sign in with
Your question

My acer laptop wont turn off

Last response: in Windows 7
August 8, 2011 2:49:47 PM

Hello,
my laptop will not shutdown or resart. it just wont do it no matter how many times i click for it to.

More about : acer laptop wont turn

a c 205 D Laptop
a c 353 $ Windows 7
August 8, 2011 5:10:46 PM

If this just happened, hold down the power button to shut it down, turn it on again and see if it works right the second time.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
August 8, 2011 6:44:15 PM

Have you tried the power button? I mean if even that doesn't work, pulling the plug should do the trick.

Anyways, if it's not shutting down, but it's not hung up either (meaning you can still use the computer) then there's likely some process in the background that is preventing the shutdown process.

Typically, all properly functioning legal programs should not cause such behavior, which leads me to believe that you've probably got a virus of some sort.

Try some of these

Free anti-virus:
-avast
-AVG
-Microsoft Security Essentials

Free anti-spyware/anti-malware:
-malware bytes
-spybot search & destroy
-super anti-spyware

Free startup utilities:
-McAfee Avert Stinger
-Avira Rescue CD, Tutorial
-Kaspersky Rescue CD
m
l
August 9, 2011 8:58:06 PM

viruclean found at www.rizone3.com is better... catches more of viruses and malware than any I have found yet. It is free as well and there are many other nice programs there. It also might be a registry issue or a broken program.... Try ccleaner as well and do the registry repairs in it. It might do the trick. If that doesn't work, hit ctrl+alt+del when it locks up and check the task manager to see if there is a program that says not responding. If task manager does not function, my guess is windows boot file broke.... easiest fix is reinstall windows as a repair install (in anything but windows 7 that would mean reinstalling any installed software.... but windows 7 just repairs the broken bits).
m
l
!