JimmehBeam

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
It's been a long time since I built a new computer like 5 years or so. currently running p4 2.0 ghz if that tells you anything.

I was looking at parts on newegg and it gives me a choice of sata 3.0 or ata100 whats the difference and which should I get I want to use the intel core duo but all the MSI mobo's are ata100

JimmehBeam

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
Ok I got it, I didn't understand the specs I guess sata is standard and ide is optional. this is gonna be harder than I thought. thanks guys computer technology is flyin past me. I better get caught back up before my kids get wind of it :p

sl33py_rob

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
SATA is definitely going to offer best forward compatibility. A lot of the newer chipsets (bearlake, 965 - intel especially) don't have a ATA controller integrated. To support ATA 100/133 they are using an add on chip for this - which you can disable for a faster boot on a lot of mobo's if you aren't using ATA.

Finding ATA drives down the road is going to get tougher as it is phased out in favor of SATA. SATA drives are typically going to be a bit faster (depends, and maybe unperceptive), higher density, faster etc. plus like everyone else has said - better airflow w/ small sata cables.

Go SATA, and stay away from MSI mobos!

good luck!

rob

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Even though you can buy MB's and HD's that are SATA3....there is no such offical computer standard.

It is only an interface to the HD anyhow and most HD's (for home users)do not use all the bandwith of a ATA-100 line.

I buy whatever costs less when I need a new drive.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
the only difficult part is i have always been a seagate guy... hmm

It's not difficult Seagate bought Maxtor not the other way around. Seagate still makes high quality drives. You want to go with SATA 3gb that is where the industry is headed although current drives still don't use all the 1.5 interface.

sl33py_rob

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
sorry guys. didn't mean to stir things up. the two i stay away from maxtor and MSI - here's why. (i know seagate bought maxtor - luckily)

Maxtor - i've had 100's of drives die - either brand new never powered on or w/in months of new. Absolute crap drives, and i will never knowingly purchase one. (external enclosures hard to tell... i typically build my own for that reason)

MSI - another work experience. several hundred MSI mobo's w/ bad caps (yeah i know we had bad dell, +hp, boards w/ same issue). It wasn't even the bad caps, so much as the service from MSI during the issue. dell and hp were great about getting them replaced.

that's it. bad experience w/ those two, so i avoid them. When i see a great review of an MSI mobo (heard great things about the 965 plat), i just steer to another that works as well, even if it's a bit more $.

my .02

rob