Opinion needed for a new build

Falki

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
Hello,

My old gaming configuration expired and I'm looking for something fresh to fill it's spot. Through some research and consulting with more knowledgeable people, together we've managed to piece together this build. I'm looking for some opinions before finally settling for what's been chosen and ordering it. It's almost 2/3 more expensive than I originally intended but... oh well.

MBO: ABIT, s. AM2, KN9 Ultra, nFORCE 570 Ultra
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+, 2200 Mhz, 1 Mb c. (Windsor)
Memory: 2x 1GB, DDR2, PC-6400, 800 MHz, KINGMAX
Cooler: ZALMAN, CNPS 8000 (socket AM2)
PSU: Chieftec, 450W ATX2, GPS-450AA-101A
Case: Neon CX-8058, 400 W, ATX 2, black (something very cheep and from the same store was needed)
Graphic: PCI-E GAINWARD, BLISS 7900GS 500+ MHz PCX 256 DDT3
HDD: SEAGATE Barracuda 250 GB, serial ATA-II 7200.10, 16MB c.

Don't know how much use would be to write price tags for all the components since I'm not from US, so I won't.

Build is primarily for gaming, and other multimedia entertainment so any comments in that direction would be lovely.

Thanks in advance! :)

Jdm240sx

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
ditch the psu and the case

get centurion 5 or xion solaris case

for PSU refer to mplichfamily's thread

my picks are FSP Bluestorm II 500 W
and antec trio 550w

Falki

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
Thanks.

As for as the case goes, I only took it cause it's quite cheap and it plays little importance to me... looks aren't really important, as long as it can hold everything in :)

I've seen the PSU thread and I'll check it out... although 500W or 550W seems a bit over the top, no?

ethel

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
Seeing as gaming is your primary use, you should spend more on the graphics card.

If you have a budget to keep to (as most of us do!), perhaps reduce the CPU and put the difference into the card.

I agree with you about the case - it's a nice to have - although it will stay with you for a long time.

BushLin

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Seeing as gaming is your primary use, you should spend more on the graphics card.

Dude, is that your stock response? 7900GS is more than fine for just about every DX9 game at top detail and resolution. Why spend bid time for DX10 when there are no games out yet?n In the future when there are plenty of DX10 games are around, the 8800 will be pennies.

My only real objections if I can find to this system would be the PSU being close to the edge so unless no upgrades are planned a beefier supply would do nicely. At 250GB there's not much cost difference to a 320GB or 400GB drive but whether that's worth it depends on your planned use.

proof

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
AMD Build Recomendations:

Cooling: Removeale of IHS
Reason: Because you can and it will decrease temps much more than lapping.

Memory: Crucial Ballistix
Reason: These modules are garunteed to use D9 chips which allows for both higher voltage and higher frequencies. However, another advantage of these chips is that they will accept much lower timings as opposed to Promo chips used by other companies. Now, timings are not that important to Intel folks, but AMD *coughfanboiscough* get the most performance from their RAM with tighter timings as opposed to higher bandwidth.

ethel

Distinguished
May 20, 2006

Dude, is that your stock response?

No, generally I tailor my responses to the OP's question.

7900GS is more than fine for just about every DX9 game at top detail and resolution. Why spend bid time for DX10 when there are no games out yet?n In the future when there are plenty of DX10 games are around, the 8800 will be pennies.

The OP said he was buying a PC for gaming. I never mentioned a DirectX 10 card, but the 7900GS 256MB costs £120 where I come from and you can pick up a X1950XT 256MB for only £10 more.

That's more than worth it in my opinion if you're going to use your PC for gaming as the X1950XT is a vastly superior card.

Falki

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
Thanks for all the replies :)

PSU: @Jdm and others - I'm convinced and I'll pick a better one... probably a Fortron one (seen it on mplichfamily's thread).

CPU: @Ethel - price difference between 3800+ and 4200+ isn't much, hence I picked it. If I cut down expenses here, I won't gain much (IMO) :?

Graphics: @Ethel & others - I've originally intended to pick the X1950XT (256) one, and it really does cost about 24$ more, but it's not available in my store... do you think the X1950XT is that much better? would it be worth switching?

HDD: @BushLink - You were right, cost difference between the 250GB and 320GB one isn't much, so I'll probably upgrade my original pick.

Cooling: @Proof - did you mean "removable of IHS"? what do you mean mate?

Memory: @Proof - I've googled Cruical Ballistix and it looks interesting. However it's not available in any store where I live.

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
The Geil set is not bad, not their best but you do not have too many choices
The blue storm II is good, not sure if 350W will be enough for the system and some upgrades later.

proof

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
The silver part of the processor is called an IHS (Integrated Heat Spreader). On almost all AMDs they are removeable to allow the bare core to be exposed. This is the best option for decreasing temperatures in an AMD.

ethel

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
Graphics: @Ethel & others - I've originally intended to pick the X1950XT (256) one, and it really does cost about 24$ more, but it's not available in my store... do you think the X1950XT is that much better? would it be worth switching?

The X1950XT is definitely worth the extra money in my opinion. It's a far superior card to the 7900GS. Check out the Toms VGA charts link below and put both cards in:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/graphics/charts.html

Good luck with your build!

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
He siad he can't buy the card there.
How about a better 79xx model? I don't feel it is worth $24 plus whatever extra taxes and shipping to get a x1950XT.

Falki

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
Hmm, the charts really do show much greater FPS increase with the X1950XT.
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/graphics/charts.html?modelx=33&model1=724&model2=712&chart=296

Switching to ATi seems a better choice, especially now since "HGspot" ran out of memory cards I wanted. By getting the G. card in another store I can also get better memory cards (and not necessary more expensive).

@Proof - thanks for the explanation, it's a lot clearer now! Bare core cooling will definitely remain an option if the regular paste + heatsink won't be enough. I won't trouble you with the memory cards tho :wink: - Europe is far away :wink:.