Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Question about the Hisense Hdtv settop box and the dolby d..

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 1:47:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

HI,
The picture is outstanding with this unit and I do not own a hdtv but a
analog tv set. My question is is when I hook the optical output from
from the HDTV receiver to my dolby digital receiver optical input I do
not get any sound. I have also hooked to the
DVD/tv RCA jacks on my Stereo and get Dolby Prologic surround.
I have turned the optical off and on and do not get any sound. I plug
in my DVD player and the receiver highlights the dolby digital signal
and enjoy the full dolby digital effect. Any one else experience this
problem? I have contacted USDIGITAl but they
have not responsed to any messages.
thanks
JJ
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 5:05:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

JJohnson318 wrote:
>
> HI,
> The picture is outstanding with this unit and I do not own a hdtv but a
> analog tv set. My question is is when I hook the optical output from
> from the HDTV receiver to my dolby digital receiver optical input I do
> not get any sound. I have also hooked to the
> DVD/tv RCA jacks on my Stereo and get Dolby Prologic surround.
> I have turned the optical off and on and do not get any sound. I plug
> in my DVD player and the receiver highlights the dolby digital signal
> and enjoy the full dolby digital effect. Any one else experience this
> problem? I have contacted USDIGITAl but they
> have not responsed to any messages.
> thanks
> JJ


This may be your Problem:

Both Your Audio & Walmart receiver port(s) must be set to:
Bit Stream..... not to the PCM options......
for Dolby Digital Sound to be Processed....
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 7:18:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

thanks for the response. I have a pioneer receiver and I looked thru
the instruction manual and it has a automatic response to what ever it
is hooked into it. It
has a PCM optical input. Both my dvd players can be changed to
bitstream instead of pcm and the receiver accepts it. I cannot manually
change the setting on thePioneer receiver. The settop box has no
instructions that I can tell for changing to bitstream. One thing I
noticed is that there is nothing on the Hisense box itself with the
Dolby digital logo. I have played with this for two weeks and cannot
get a dolby digital signal to recognize the HDTV receiver.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 10:05:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

JJohnson318 wrote:
> thanks for the response. I have a pioneer receiver and I looked thru
> the instruction manual and it has a automatic response to what ever it
> is hooked into it. It
> has a PCM optical input. Both my dvd players can be changed to
> bitstream instead of pcm and the receiver accepts it. I cannot manually
> change the setting on thePioneer receiver. The settop box has no
> instructions that I can tell for changing to bitstream. One thing I
> noticed is that there is nothing on the Hisense box itself with the
> Dolby digital logo. I have played with this for two weeks and cannot
> get a dolby digital signal to recognize the HDTV receiver.
>

I have a Pioneer VXS-D814 with a Hisense STB and get Dolby Digital over
the optical link with no problem. There is no setting for the Hisense
unit (that I can find) to change the signal output format. One thing I
have noticed with the particular Hisense unit I have is that with a weak
or intermittent signal the audio output will occasionally stop working.
The only solution is to unplug the unit from the wall outlet and
reconnect. Powering the unit on/off with remote or front panel
pushbutton does _not_ fix the problem with the audio once it is lost.
Buggy firmware, IMO. System info. shows: USDigital software version
2.5.57(2.4.18-7).

Nick
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 1:33:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

In article <-sydnWwphJRAtXrcRVn-3g@bresnan.com>,
Nick Birrer <nickbirrer.eats.spam@bresnan.net> wrote:

> JJohnson318 wrote:
> > thanks for the response. I have a pioneer receiver and I looked thru
> > the instruction manual and it has a automatic response to what ever it
> > is hooked into it. It
> > has a PCM optical input. Both my dvd players can be changed to
> > bitstream instead of pcm and the receiver accepts it. I cannot manually
> > change the setting on thePioneer receiver. The settop box has no
> > instructions that I can tell for changing to bitstream. One thing I
> > noticed is that there is nothing on the Hisense box itself with the
> > Dolby digital logo. I have played with this for two weeks and cannot
> > get a dolby digital signal to recognize the HDTV receiver.
> >
>
> I have a Pioneer VXS-D814 with a Hisense STB and get Dolby Digital over
> the optical link with no problem. There is no setting for the Hisense
> unit (that I can find) to change the signal output format. One thing I
> have noticed with the particular Hisense unit I have is that with a weak
> or intermittent signal the audio output will occasionally stop working.
> The only solution is to unplug the unit from the wall outlet and
> reconnect. Powering the unit on/off with remote or front panel
> pushbutton does _not_ fix the problem with the audio once it is lost.
> Buggy firmware, IMO. System info. shows: USDigital software version
> 2.5.57(2.4.18-7).
>
> Nick

I have a slightly later version 2.5.59(2.4.18-7) and have also
experienced problems with Dolby Digital on weaker signals. My surround
sound receiver will switch back to Dolby Pro Logic for a short period
and then return to Digital. Very consistent with one station I receive
(KTLA-DT in Los Angeles), but then I'm using an indoor antenna (that
will change this weekend) from almost 90 miles away.

I've also had the box lock up twice in the two months I've had it.
Unplugging it was the only way to reboot, and it came up working fine
afterwards.

To the original poster: If you're not getting any output through the
optical connection I suspect the US Digital box isn't working. Is there
a red light coming out of the optical Toslink connector on the back of
the STB? If not, there's no optical signal coming out.

- Merle
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 6:11:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Hi,
yes, I have been getting a red light. From the posts I have read so
far, I have been lucky. The only other thing I have been thinking is I
am not getting the full signal from the tv station, the signal meter on
the stb is just a tad below full, would that make a difference? I am
approx 22 miles from the stations, and have a outdoor antenna.
!