Good monitor, have high budget.

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
Hey guys,

I purposed to have a new build hopefully done a little after July 22nd, when Intel's new P35's come out, and the Core 2 Extremes get their price slash.

Anyways, I'm in the market for a new monitor. I currently use a Samsung 204B, and love it to death. I paid 430 for it, brand new when it first came out. Was one of the first monitors with a response time lower than 8ms that was higher than 19's.

But, I can't reuse it in my next build due to the fact that I wont have one then for my current computer.

I took a liking to this one, but if someone else can find a better one for about the same price, that would be great:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001234

Forgot to add, I have about $500 Ill use in my budget for a monitor.

Thanks. :D

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
Dell Ultrasharp 2407WFP is the best there is, its $569 at Dell.com and a little over budget but well worth it in my opinion. If i were in the market you are this is what i would get. But if you have a slight preference for Samsung monitors i don't see anything wrong with it. I'd search around for a review for any nitpicks about it.

Malatar

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
Let me throw in a vote for the Dell Ultrasharp 2407WFP as well... I built a friend's machine with one of them and it's simply phenomenal. 1080p movies, lots of different inputs, card reader/USB hub, and it rotates 90 degrees for reading text etc. Max resolution is 1920x1200, and the text is crystal sharp with the DVI input from his 8800GTS.

I took a liking to this one, but if someone else can find a better one for about the same price, that would be great:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001234

Congratulations!!!

You have just selected the first 24" LCD monitor to use a TN panel; I believe it is 6-bit.

TN panels are known for having low response times compared to higher end panel technologies like P-SVA, M-PVA, and S-IPS. A lot of gamers place low response times and low price high on their list when it comes to monitors. That leads many people to buy 6-bit TN panels.

To me 6-bit TN panels are inferior and I would be damned if I were to ever buy one. I expect a certain level of image quality for the money I spend. That's why I have a very harsh view (pun not intended) on TN panel tech.

TN Panels-

Good: Low Price, very fast response times.
Bad: Everything else like image and color quality, viewing angles.

P-MVA, S-PVA, S-IPS Panels-

Bad: Price and response times are not as low as TN panels.
Good: Everything else.

If you want a good quality 24" LCD monitor that's not going to tear you an new one then look at the Dell 2407. That monitor is currently on sale for around $570 before shipping and taxes.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Check out this guide, it's pretty good.

If I had $500 to spend on a monitor, I would just get 2 22" ones. The difference between 24" and 22" panels isnt worth the extra cash IMO. I mean, if you NEED insanely accurate colors, a TN panel with dithering isnt going to be ideal, but for the average user it's fine. I'd still like to see a 22" monitor with true 8-bit color though...

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
So I guess I'm getting votes on the Dell 24' model then. I'm looking at the monitor now, and I don't see how much milisecond response time it has. As long as its under 8, then its fine. I hear Samsung make Dell's monitors or fund some of the parts to make them, so thats sorta why I bought my 204B in the first place.

Sounds like the Dell should be my choice over the Samsung. Either way like solider37 said, it'll be a large improvement.

Scratch that, found out it too has a 6ms response time.

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
So I guess I'm getting votes on the Dell 24' model then. I'm looking at the monitor now, and I don't see how much milisecond response time it has. As long as its under 8, then its fine. I hear Samsung make Dell's monitors or fund some of the parts to make them, so thats sorta why I bought my 204B in the first place.

Sounds like the Dell should be my choice over the Samsung. Either way like solider37 said, it'll be a large improvement.