Products from ZALMAN... that I know nothing about

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/4305/vid-73/Zalman_Fatal1ty_FC-ZV9_LED_Dual_Heatpipe_Graphics_Card_Cooler.html
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1489/cpu-zal-20/Zalman_Fatal1ty_FS-C77_LED_Ultimate_CPU_Cooler_Intel_478_775_AMD_754_939_940.html
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/3884/vid-53/Zalman_Fatal1ty_FS-V7_Graphics_Card_Cooler_-_Fits_1800XT_7800_and_more.html
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5951/cst-537/Zalman_Z-Machine_GT1000_High_End_Gaming_Enclosure_-_Black.html
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5952/cst-538/Zalman_Z-Machine_GT1000_High_End_Gaming_Enclosure_-_Titanium.html
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5953/bus-102/Zalman_ZM-MFC2_Multi_Fan_Controller_-_PWM_Fan_Ready.html
http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=64&code=
http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=175&code=
http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=151&code=

Who knows anything about these products?

thnx

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
VGA coolers are GREAT, silent and efficient. Not cheap though, but top notch.

CPU flat-style flower coolers are old tech, don't bother. Go with the tower-style 9500/9700 sort of product.

Regular-style case is nice, built like a tank but waaaaay overpriced. Get a Silverstone or Lian Li instead. You're buying the name, but overpaying for it.

Noiseless cases are good, but expensive. Not too sure about having really high end components in there that will generate alot of heat. You need cooling fans and airflow for those, so I have doubts it'll work well for hot components. Regardless, a good Silverstone or Lian Li case with silent fans will perform great and be alot cheaper.

Fan controller is a fan controller, not much to say there.

Zalman used to be THE name in silent components. But of late they've been surpassed by new tech, cheaper components, and more innovative approaches. The seem to be just relying on their name and history now.....which isn't good enough for consumers. There are better CPU coolers out there, better choices for cases, cheaper products that still perform extremely well, and so forth. The only thing of that list that they really stand out above the pack is the VGA cooler, no question. Other than that, though, there are definitely better options or prices in each of the categories.

I sincerely hope Zalman makes a move to the future, or they risk falling behind even further. They used to be the innovator, now they're just the trailers. A shame. I hope they can recapture their former glory.

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
VGA coolers are GREAT, silent and efficient. Not cheap though, but top notch.

CPU flat-style flower coolers are old tech, don't bother. Go with the tower-style 9500/9700 sort of product.

Regular-style case is nice, built like a tank but waaaaay overpriced. Get a Silverstone or Lian Li instead. You're buying the name, but overpaying for it.

Noiseless cases are good, but expensive. Not too sure about having really high end components in there that will generate alot of heat. You need cooling fans and airflow for those, so I have doubts it'll work well for hot components. Regardless, a good Silverstone or Lian Li case with silent fans will perform great and be alot cheaper.

Fan controller is a fan controller, not much to say there.

Zalman used to be THE name in silent components. But of late they've been surpassed by new tech, cheaper components, and more innovative approaches. The seem to be just relying on their name and history now.....which isn't good enough for consumers. There are better CPU coolers out there, better choices for cases, cheaper products that still perform extremely well, and so forth. The only thing of that list that they really stand out above the pack is the VGA cooler, no question. Other than that, though, there are definitely better options or prices in each of the categories.

I sincerely hope Zalman makes a move to the future, or they risk falling behind even further. They used to be the innovator, now they're just the trailers. A shame. I hope they can recapture their former glory.

ya know, some of those fanless cases are like $1400!! sick...

Voodoopc used to build PCs from all of these cases. They started at 3grand... mygawd...

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
zalman makes great stuff but its not the absolute best in all products. I think they are good but overpriced.

are the vga coolers new? They dont seem to be part of the VF700 or VF900 series. At least not in the name.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Those VGA coolers are from the Fatal1ty line.......named after the famous gamer. They're Zalman's signature line......EXACT same as the regular line except red LEDs and red color coating on the fins.....and of course, the high price tag that goes along with it ;)

But the VF-700 and 900 are EXACT same as the Fatal1ty ones.....very highly recommended nonetheless (but I'd get the vanilla models), probably one of the best VGA coolers on the market, almost dead silent too. Very nice, I've owned one of each.

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Those VGA coolers are from the Fatal1ty line.......named after the famous gamer. They're Zalman's signature line......EXACT same as the regular line except red LEDs and red color coating on the fins.....and of course, the high price tag that goes along with it ;)

But the VF-700 and 900 are EXACT same as the Fatal1ty ones.....very highly recommended nonetheless (but I'd get the vanilla models), probably one of the best VGA coolers on the market, almost dead silent too. Very nice, I've owned one of each.

i got a VF700CU on an EVGA 7600gt that I bought form a friend 2 weeks ago for $90. I cant tell if its noisier than the stock fan on my ATI Radeon, because my case makes so much noise just idling. Probably something in the range of 45-55dBA. I think its the three 92mm fans in the case that make a Z$hitload of noise while moving so little air, that when you put your hand in from of it, you cant even tell if its on 8O . Damn dell for going for the cheapest $hit.

Does anyone know the dimensions of standard fans, so I can see what I have cooling my case? They seem big to me was thinking 120mm, but my friend says they arent big enough to be 120mm, I guess he would know, he has tow in his Sonata2. Seeing the rest of the build quality of my dell, they probably are impossibly proprietary, something like 85.8mm 8O .

Hey, now that Ive got the ball rolling, lemme lay out the complaints about the build quality of my machine (Dell Dimension XPS Gen 3 bought in Aug04):

1. Case is made from crappy and cheap plastic
2. The peice of plastic that covers the top of the case isnt attached at all. It came this way :? .
3. The bay door is painfully flimsy, I broke it off once, but got it repaired.
4. The case door is hard to close: you have to give leverage from the bottom while pushing in, while pushing the case into it. Right now, my case is open because I cant close it.
5. Its extremely noisy at both idle and full load, but it moves very little air.
6. The back slot bracket for the GPU doesnt fit in, it slides off the toolless catch mechanism. This is with both of my GPUs.
7. The original GPU (ATI Radeon X800GT) ran very hot (60C idle, 78C load)
8. The sound card (Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS 5.1)is impossible to get proper drivers for, and it has so many issues in games when you try to use positional audio i.e. EAX (particularly Call of Duty), that I have to use the software solution (Miles Positional Audio)
9. My motherboard isnt ATX or mATX, it has 6 expansion slots: PCIEx x16, PCIEx x 1, and 4 PCI, what do you make of that???
10. My PSU is a long flat rectangle that makes up a seperate container on the bottom of the case itself. WTF!?!?!
11. The XPS logo on the drive-bay; the only XPS logo on the case... is an uber-cheep decal... BOO!
12. The FrontBay headphones port got pushed into the case too far and wot work... Dell offered to come, but its not worth staying home for... they suggested me doing it myself... I listened, but after 2 of my friends and I spent 20min trying to find it... no luck :(

Things I particularly like about my rig:
1. the GPU that it came with is really cool, mot in terms of temps, but in looks: its has a red pcb, and a cooler with a graphical representation of a minotaur on it (any tips on photographing this card.. pm me!)

2. The big badge light on the front of the case that you can change the color with in the BIOS (seven colors: Red, Blue, Light Blue, Yellow, Green, White, Purple, but they have fancy names like Amethyst.. :? ) Right now its blue... it matches my saitek eclipse 1 kb and my old WD 80gb external HDs (two of em, love those hand-me-downs)

3. The cabling in the PC... all zip-tied, and clipped to the side of the case... amazing... too bad I ripped a lot of it up when my pc was 'dead'

4. The fact that my mobo has no integrated sound or video, its bare config had my sound card and video card... good looking ahead dell!

5. Its got cool stainless steel letters on the sides of the case, too bad it spells DELL 8O

Enough bitching... read what I wrote