How to block users from using certain programs/commands

me88

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
hello

I am running xubuntu on my laptop. i want to block certain programs such as the settings manager and the home directory for the non admin account that i created. i also want to block that desktop user from typing in certain commands like rmdir

a step by step guide would be great

thank you

The simplest way to do this is to change the permission on the program files that you want to protect. For example, for rmdir, open a command prompt and type:

cd bin
chmod o-x rmdir

(The location of the command will change depending upon the command and distribution.) you should test the change as thoroughly as you can as blocking one command may have uninteded consequences.

Most distributions provide a file manager that lets you make this change in a gui.

me88

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
i can't find a gui version in xubuntu to do what i am asking. does anyone know if that is possible in xubuntu or how to make that possible in xubuntu? the reason why i am asking is because i want the non admin account to only be used for the absolute basics like surfing the internet, listening to music, watching videos and doing office work. i even want to block the terminal from the non admin account

me88

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
do you know what distribution of linux i can use instead that is easy for someone use who is not tech savvy and/or idiot proof? i'm starting to think that i am putting in way to much time in to making my system idiot proof. what distribution of linux do you use?

I agree, but if that's what the OP wants to do.... But he needs to be aware that blocking certain commands may break others. If he wants to be really secure he could set up a chroot environment for the user that contained only the allowed commands; but I'm guessing this wouldn't fit within his comfort level.

me88

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
is there by any chance that there is some type of bash script, perl script or python script that i can run at start up that will block what i want to block? if so please post it hear :D