Sign in with
Your question

Blue Screen - tcpip.sys

Last response: in Networking
September 17, 2007 5:38:06 PM

All day, while internet browsing, I've noticed my browsing speed getting slower, and slower. My ISP is Comcast, and I average around 30 Mbps Down and 3 Mbps Up. I decided to check my running processes in task manager, and sure enough, I notice that iexplorer.exe is utilizing 989,000+ kb of memory! WTF! I closed all tabs in IE, restarted the browser, and iexplorer.exe was using around 40 MB. As I continued to browse, the memory utilization continued to increase.

Later, I received a DRIVER_IRQL_LESS_THAN_OR_NOT_EQUAL BSoD. The only file named was tcpip.sys. Until I receive some feedback, I'll uninstall/reinstall the ethernet controller drivers. However, I suspect it has something to do with the memory. I restored the clock speeds of the CPU and memory back to factory settings. I guess it could be a problem with my Linksys Wireless G Router drivers as well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Michael

More about : blue screen tcpip sys

September 17, 2007 9:33:34 PM

Try netsh -winsock reset

This will reset your TCP/IP stack which might help with the issue.

Top that off, make sure your Internet Options doesn't have an insane amount of space associated to store your browsing habits, cookies, etc. The more you browse, the more it stores, the slower it will become.
September 19, 2007 5:05:15 PM

riser said:
Try netsh -winsock reset

I successfully reseted the Winsock Catalog. I'll monitor the processes throughout the day and see how much memory iexplorer.exe is utilizing.

riser said:
Top that off, make sure your Internet Options doesn't have an insane amount of space associated to store your browsing habits, cookies, etc. The more you browse, the more it stores, the slower it will become.

It's using only 50Mb. I think that's the default.

Thanks Riser.

-Michael
Related resources
September 19, 2007 10:51:49 PM

Are you using Xp or vista?
I had the DRIVER_IRQL_LESS_THAN_OR_NOT_EQUAL BSoD with a linksys WUSB54G. I think it was to do with the PC running out of memory (i was running vista bisness on less then 1Gb) anyway I was using opera, and it kept on craping out on me.
I never got down to finding the source. Though since your using eithernet and i was wireless, I was pretty sure it was the Linksys drivers, well i guess i have to find another tree, Oh and i dont use a linksys router, so i dont think thats your problem.
September 19, 2007 10:55:44 PM

Why the **** cant I edit my goddamn posts anymore?!?
anyway I'd say its more likely a bug with vista rather then a hardware issue
January 4, 2009 2:55:52 PM

Why is it necessary to block foul language and allow outright cursing on a public forum?! Shame on you moderator as well as those that cannot seem to find proper words to express your thoughts!
!