Sign in with
Your question

Problem....Copying between two system via wireless...overload

Last response: in Wireless Networking
November 25, 2007 3:39:45 AM

Hello- did searches and came up empty.

Here's the situation. I've got 5 systems @ home. One is still running 2000 (hard wired) and when I attempt to share a directory and copy files from it to a wireless notebook it essentially hangs the notebook until I eject the PCMCIA card. Happens on all files no matter what the size is. The router is a netgear 108 and the PCMCIA card is a netgear 108. In addition I've tried this on a entirely different notebook with a non-netgear PCMCIA adapter and I get the same results. When I the system is in the "hang mode" the router and PCMCIA card are flashing like crazy. (BTW, I have copied files from another system next to the W2K box but running XP)

This is what I've done:
1) Several Virus scans on all systems + spybot... all coming up clean. Including in SAFE mode scans
2) On the W2K system I replaced the NIC cable.... no change
3) On the W2K system I replaced the NIC card.... no change
4) As mentioned above I've used two separate notebooks both with unique PCMCIA cards... no change
5) Disabled firewalls on systems...no change
6) Disabled Windows zero configuration and installed the netgear software... no change
7) Run Hijackthis... nothing unusual.
8) Of course reset all devices like the router... still no change

Using the W2K box on the web is not a problem. I can download all I want and everything appears fine. I hate reloading systems and that's the last thing I can do. Any ideas?

Typically I solve these type of problems but I'm stumped. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

brian
November 25, 2007 4:34:38 AM

Sounds to me like a software problem deep in windows 2000. I suggest a reinstall of windows. Wait for others to suggest or ideas before you do this though. Since it's NIC independent it's not the drivers so it has to be how the windows OS is handling networking. A good test would be to book up an ubuntu live cd and see if you can transfer files. If it works that completely rules out hardware and means you have to find a way to patch the glitch in windows or reinstall the OS.
November 25, 2007 5:53:08 AM

Yeah I figured so; however, I'll probably go with Vista or XP instead. I just get tired of reloading os, software, etc. That techno fun is gone :( 
Brian
Related resources
November 25, 2007 6:05:31 PM

Oh I highly suggest nlite for xp if you would like to automate your windows install. Took me a couple weeks playing around with it and loading up the images on vmware to get the settings right but I got windows set up with firefox, itunes, utorrent, k-lite codec pack, and peerguardian automatically installed and cut my windows xp size with all updates to 2.5 gb. It also just formats the disk then doesn't bother you until it's done installing. I can get a computer up and running in 40 min now with that.
November 26, 2007 2:35:33 AM

Reloading seems to be the answer. I finally put this box on XP

Thanks for the tips
!