Blank Dvd not recognized

I purchased a dvd burner a few months back.. and have not been able to burn
a dvd disk successfully. every time I start to.. the program asked me to
insert a blank dvd.. which I do! I get the response ... please enter the
blank dvd.. I have inserted both dvd-rw or dvd+rw to no avail..here is the
burner info... I spent a lot of money for something I can't use.. yes it
will play pre-recorder Dvd's ... but that's it.. thanks in advance! Rainy

ROM:12x, CD:32x/16x/40x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)
11 answers Last reply
More about blank recognized

    "Rainy" <rainydays38@sweetwrapz.net> wrote in message
    > I purchased a dvd burner a few months back.. and have not been able to
    burn
    > a dvd disk successfully. every time I start to.. the program asked me to
    > insert a blank dvd.. which I do! I get the response ... please enter the
    > blank dvd..

    Have you tried another make of DVD/RW?

    What program are you using to burn the DVD?

    I was using nero... I can't afford to go out and buy different dvd's...:)
    Rainy "CWatters" <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> wrote in message

    > "Rainy" <rainydays38@sweetwrapz.net> wrote in message
    >> I purchased a dvd burner a few months back.. and have not been able to
    > burn
    >> a dvd disk successfully. every time I start to.. the program asked me to
    >> insert a blank dvd.. which I do! I get the response ... please enter the
    >> blank dvd..
    >
    > Have you tried another make of DVD/RW?
    >
    > What program are you using to burn the DVD?

    forgot to say.. I did use one of my techs when he was trying to figure it
    out... and it was different... still did not recognize it... Rainy
    >I was using nero... I can't afford to go out and buy different dvd's...:)
    >Rainy "CWatters" <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> wrote in message
    >>

    >> "Rainy" <rainydays38@sweetwrapz.net> wrote in message
    >>> I purchased a dvd burner a few months back.. and have not been able to
    >> burn
    >>> a dvd disk successfully. every time I start to.. the program asked me
    >>> insert a blank dvd.. which I do! I get the response ... please enter the
    >>> blank dvd..
    >>
    >> Have you tried another make of DVD/RW?
    >>
    >> What program are you using to burn the DVD?

    You might try checking Nero forums and forums specific to the DVD burner
    manufacturer. It may be a driver issue or there may be a firmware update
    available for that burner. Also, are you making sure you are putting the DVD
    in the drive right side up?

    "Rainy" wrote:

    > I was using nero... I can't afford to go out and buy different dvd's...:)
    > Rainy "CWatters" <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> wrote in message
    > >

    > > "Rainy" <rainydays38@sweetwrapz.net> wrote in message
    > >> I purchased a dvd burner a few months back.. and have not been able to
    > > burn
    > >> a dvd disk successfully. every time I start to.. the program asked me to
    > >> insert a blank dvd.. which I do! I get the response ... please enter the
    > >> blank dvd..
    > >
    > > Have you tried another make of DVD/RW?
    > >
    > > What program are you using to burn the DVD?

    Yes i have the drive right side up :) Will check out the forums thanks for
    the input... Rainy
    "Kathea Banshou" <KatheaBanshou@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > You might try checking Nero forums and forums specific to the DVD burner
    > manufacturer. It may be a driver issue or there may be a firmware update
    > available for that burner. Also, are you making sure you are putting the
    > DVD
    > in the drive right side up?
    >
    > "Rainy" wrote:
    >
    >> I was using nero... I can't afford to go out and buy different dvd's...:)
    >> Rainy "CWatters" <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> wrote in message
    >> >

    >> > "Rainy" <rainydays38@sweetwrapz.net> wrote in message
    >> > burn
    >> >
    >> > Have you tried another make of DVD/RW?
    >> >
    >> > What program are you using to burn the DVD?

    "Rainy" <rainydays38@sweetwrapz.net> wrote in message
    > I was using nero...

    Sorry if you know this but....

    a) was this copy of nero supplied with the DVD drive or another drive
    already in your PC? I believe OEM vers are only designed to work with the
    supplied drive.

    otherwise

    b) Are you selecting "DVD" at the top left of the "New compilation" wizard?

    Like I said sorry if you know this stuff.

    yes I am... also a program came with my burner, and it doesn't work
    either... I have had nero for a long time... 'm sorry I can't
    remember the name of the burner program... I haven't used it in a long
    time... since it didn't work... paid a lot of money for this
    program that only plays dvds does not record them.. :(Rainy

    > "Rainy" <rainydays38@sweetwrapz.net> wrote in message
    >> I was using nero...
    >
    > Sorry if you know this but....
    >
    > a) was this copy of nero supplied with the DVD drive or another drive
    > already in your PC? I believe OEM vers are only designed to work with the
    > supplied drive.
    >
    > otherwise
    >
    > b) Are you selecting "DVD" at the top left of the "New compilation"
    > wizard?
    >
    > Like I said sorry if you know this stuff.

    This sounds like it could be a faulty drive. Check your warranty.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Rainy" <rainydays38@sweetwrapz.net> wrote in message
    >I purchased a dvd burner a few months back.. and have not been able to burn
    >a dvd disk successfully. every time I start to.. the program asked me to
    >insert a blank dvd.. which I do! I get the response ... please enter the
    >blank dvd.. I have inserted both dvd-rw or dvd+rw to no avail..here is the
    >burner info... I spent a lot of money for something I can't use.. yes it
    >will play pre-recorder Dvd's ... but that's it.. thanks in advance! Rainy
    >
    > ROM:12x, CD:32x/16x/40x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)

    As Kathea mentionted, it could be a firmware (driver) problem or it could be
    a software problem (multiple incompatible burning software on your system). I
    would try this. 1) Uninstall all burning software, update your firmware,
    re-install the burning software for your drive.

    To uninstall the software, START>CONTROL PANEL>ADD REMOVE PROGRAMS

    To update your drives firmware, 1st check what firmware version your drive
    is currently at.

    START>right click MY COMPUTER>click PROPERTIES>click the tab HARDWARE>click
    DEVICE MANAGER>click the + sign beside DVD/CR ROM DRIVES>right click on the
    drive>click PROPERTIES>click the tab DETAILS>

    You will see your drives name followed by a long underscore, next is the
    firmware version currently installed, then more underscore and other stuff.
    Make a note of the firmware version then go to the manufacturers website and
    search for firmware (driver) updates for your drive. If you need to update
    the firmware (which you probably do) make sure you follow the manufacturers
    instructions EXACTLY. If you don't you could toast your drive.

    Once you've updated your drive to the most current firmware (driver) version
    then install the burning software that came with your drive.

    NOTEKY

    "Rainy" wrote:

    > I purchased a dvd burner a few months back.. and have not been able to burn
    > a dvd disk successfully. every time I start to.. the program asked me to
    > insert a blank dvd.. which I do! I get the response ... please enter the
    > blank dvd.. I have inserted both dvd-rw or dvd+rw to no avail..here is the
    > burner info... I spent a lot of money for something I can't use.. yes it
    > will play pre-recorder Dvd's ... but that's it.. thanks in advance! Rainy
    >
    > ROM:12x, CD:32x/16x/40x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)

    And then check for updates for your burning software and install them too.

    NOTEKY

    "NOTEKY" wrote:

    > As Kathea mentionted, it could be a firmware (driver) problem or it could be
    > a software problem (multiple incompatible burning software on your system). I
    > would try this. 1) Uninstall all burning software, update your firmware,
    > re-install the burning software for your drive.
    >
    > To uninstall the software, START>CONTROL PANEL>ADD REMOVE PROGRAMS
    >
    > To update your drives firmware, 1st check what firmware version your drive
    > is currently at.
    >
    > START>right click MY COMPUTER>click PROPERTIES>click the tab HARDWARE>click
    > DEVICE MANAGER>click the + sign beside DVD/CR ROM DRIVES>right click on the
    > drive>click PROPERTIES>click the tab DETAILS>
    >
    > You will see your drives name followed by a long underscore, next is the
    > firmware version currently installed, then more underscore and other stuff.
    > Make a note of the firmware version then go to the manufacturers website and
    > search for firmware (driver) updates for your drive. If you need to update
    > the firmware (which you probably do) make sure you follow the manufacturers
    > instructions EXACTLY. If you don't you could toast your drive.
    >
    > Once you've updated your drive to the most current firmware (driver) version
    > then install the burning software that came with your drive.
    >
    > NOTEKY
    >
    > "Rainy" wrote:
    >
    > > I purchased a dvd burner a few months back.. and have not been able to burn
    > > a dvd disk successfully. every time I start to.. the program asked me to
    > > insert a blank dvd.. which I do! I get the response ... please enter the
    > > blank dvd.. I have inserted both dvd-rw or dvd+rw to no avail..here is the
    > > burner info... I spent a lot of money for something I can't use.. yes it
    > > will play pre-recorder Dvd's ... but that's it.. thanks in advance! Rainy
    > >
    > > ROM:12x, CD:32x/16x/40x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)

    thanks so much.. I will definitely try this :) Rainy
    "NOTEKY" <NOTEKY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > And then check for updates for your burning software and install them too.
    >
    > NOTEKY
    >
    > "NOTEKY" wrote:
    >
    >> As Kathea mentionted, it could be a firmware (driver) problem or it could
    >> be
    >> a software problem (multiple incompatible burning software on your
    >> system). I
    >> would try this. 1) Uninstall all burning software, update your firmware,
    >> re-install the burning software for your drive.
    >>
    >> To uninstall the software, START>CONTROL PANEL>ADD REMOVE PROGRAMS
    >>
    >> To update your drives firmware, 1st check what firmware version your
    >> drive
    >> is currently at.
    >>
    >> START>right click MY COMPUTER>click PROPERTIES>click the tab
    >> HARDWARE>click
    >> DEVICE MANAGER>click the + sign beside DVD/CR ROM DRIVES>right click on
    >> the
    >> drive>click PROPERTIES>click the tab DETAILS>
    >>
    >> You will see your drives name followed by a long underscore, next is the
    >> firmware version currently installed, then more underscore and other
    >> stuff.
    >> Make a note of the firmware version then go to the manufacturers website
    >> and
    >> search for firmware (driver) updates for your drive. If you need to
    >> update
    >> the firmware (which you probably do) make sure you follow the
    >> manufacturers
    >> instructions EXACTLY. If you don't you could toast your drive.
    >>
    >> Once you've updated your drive to the most current firmware (driver)
    >> version
    >> then install the burning software that came with your drive.
    >>
    >> NOTEKY
    >>
    >> "Rainy" wrote:
    >>
    >> > I purchased a dvd burner a few months back.. and have not been able to
    >> > burn
    >> > a dvd disk successfully. every time I start to.. the program asked me
    >> > insert a blank dvd.. which I do! I get the response ... please enter
    >> > the
    >> > blank dvd.. I have inserted both dvd-rw or dvd+rw to no avail..here is
    >> > the
    >> > burner info... I spent a lot of money for something I can't use.. yes
    >> > it
    >> > will play pre-recorder Dvd's ... but that's it.. thanks in advance!
    >> > Rainy
    >> >
    >> > ROM:12x, CD:32x/16x/40x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)

DVD DVD Burner Burner Microsoft DVD RW Windows XP