[Solved] Allow windows 7 to see ubuntu

Daniel_1963

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
did a clean full install of windows 7 pro, partitioned and formatted the hard drive with windows 7 left the second partition unformatted for Ubuntu 13.
installed Ubuntu 13 second side by side with windows 7. Ubuntu moved 7 from sd1 to sd2. now when i log into windows and open computer folder i see C: drive but when i went into system to set 7 as primary OS, drop box is empty neither 7 or Ubuntu is in the drop box to select to set as default OS.

Boot screen has Ubuntu then Ubuntu advanced then windows 7, then windows Vista, which puzzles me since Vista has never been on this laptop.

I can log into either of the Two Ubuntu prompts and 7 with no problems. Of course since there is no Vista installation, if i select Vista it gives the no OS found error and reboots. Main thing I'm concerned about is getting 7 set as default OS so i don't have to arrow down, and remove Vista from the prompt.
:pfff:

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
Sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

GRUB_DEFAULT=0 gives us Ubuntu as the default because grub starts counting down the list from 0. If your Win7 is listed 5th but you want it to be the default then change GRUB_DEFAULT=0 to GRUB_DEFAULT=4

As for the Vista thing, I'd guess that it's loader is there even if the OS isn't and grub creates the list automatically.

Daniel_1963

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
papa@papa-HP-G62-Notebook-PC:~$ sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
[sudo] password for papa:

(gedit:2358): IBUS-WARNING **: The owner of /home/papa/.config/ibus/bus is not root!
update-grub

# info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration'

GRUB_DEFAULT=2
#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

# Uncomment to enable BadRAM filtering, modify to suit your needs
# This works with Linux (no patch required) and with any kernel that obtains
# the memory map information from GRUB (GNU Mach, kernel of FreeBSD ...)
#GRUB_BADRAM="0x01234567,0xfefefefe,0x89abcdef,0xefefefef"

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
#GRUB_TERMINAL=console

# The resolution used on graphical terminal
# note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
# you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
#GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

# Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to Linux
#GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

# Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries
#GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"

# Uncomment to get a beep at grub start
#GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"

i changed default to 2 because windows 7 is 3rd in list
i dont think it worked.

I dont think it worked

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

I'd be suprised if 7 was 3rd on the list since you have ubuntu's "recovery" and "mem test" usually at 2 and 3. Those count as well.

Daniel_1963

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013

I tried EasyBCD I wouldn't tell people it simplifies, gives more choices of what and how to do things but definitely not simpler.

but now that i used EasyBCD I not only have a Ubuntu boot screen now i have a windows boot screen as well another 10 sec to wait.

Daniel_1963

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013

Don't have a recovery or mem test in the list just Ubuntu, Ubuntu advanced, windows 7, then windows vista.
I'm thinking Ubuntu didn't install right since it didn't create a root. going to Google how uninstall Ubuntu and try a reinstall. i will let you know how that goes. may redo windows as well if its not an easy fix to get rid of the windows boot screen. wish me luck and thanks for all the help.

Daniel_1963

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
What i did after intense Googling on how to remove the grub. is removed the grub and did a clean install of windows 7 again. windows setup set 7 as the default os and i get the windows boot screen to boot into 7, then Ubuntu, then Ubuntu advanced, and now has two different mem test's and vista option is gone. now after i give my brain a weeks rest i will Google and see how to create the root that ubuntu install failed to create, or maybe it required me to do it for it before i installed. Not sure if it really going to matter if it has the root or not, everything seems to be working fine as is.

Daniel_1963

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
oh left out the important part on how to get rid of grub.
when you boot from your windows cd you follow the steps till you get a window with an option to repair windows. select that then follow steps till you get a window with cmd prompt. open that and type in exact sequence:

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
C:
CD Boot
Attrib bcd –s –h –r
ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
bootrec /RebuildBcd

I apologize for all the replying myself basically if the admin will be so kind to combine them into one if he wishes.

TRENDING THREADS