Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade from Debian Squeeze to Wheezy?

Tags:
Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
February 28, 2013 5:35:16 PM

Hi All,

I'm attempting to build a web and streaming server using Debian Squeeze. Over the last few days a friend brought his Raspberry Pi (running Raspbian I believe.. he says its a version of Wheezy that he uses) to me to see if we can setup some streaming tests using minidlna. Well, this is where my frustration began...

I tried to install minidlna on Squeeze using this Zeldor Guide and couldn't get very far. I downloaded the minidlna package it refers me to in the article on the Server, but when it was done downloading a browser window popped up open with "etc" and "usr" folders. I could not find any install / setup icons, so I went back to the guide and started doing the command line commands. The "tar" command to compile the package worked fine, but when I used the command:

cd minidlna-1.0.22/

... I get an error saying that directory does not exist. So, I checked the file I downloaded and the version was actually 1.0.25 so I ran the command again, but as:

cd minidlna-1.0.25/

... still the same error. So, I checked a few other websites and tried this guide. When the command:

sudo apt-get install debian-multimedia-keyring

... was used I got an error saying it is unable to locate the keyring. So basically, when I attempt like the second line of commands, I just get errors. I follow these guides exaclty (it seems to me anyway) and I just get errors and I'm fed up, lol..

So, I tried to do research on other streaming services like the Plex Server (which is highly recommended, but there is no Debian version that I can find), using Raspbmc on the Pi, or this Squeeze package Rygel (which is supposed to be very similar to minidlna?). I attempted to install the Rygel and just got errors again. Needless to say, I'm a bit frustrated and almost ready to throw away the whole project...

Ideally, I'd like to have ONE single device that can connect to my Linux home server to stream movies, music, and videos that it hosts, and can stream Netflix and Amazon Instant Video (which I know the Pi cannot do). Also, I'd like to be able to add a dual band wifi adapter so my streaming devices can run on the less crowded 5ghz band which is supposedly better for streaming and gaming. I would love to find a cheap Blu Ray player that can do this, but from what I'm reading none are dual band capable and they mainly use DLNA (which I cannot figure out how to install....)

Any suggestions and help you guys can give is greatly appreciated as I'm about to go crazy trying to figure this out, lol. Thanks in advance!
February 28, 2013 5:59:58 PM

Ok first, you really need to ask your self if you are up to the tasks at hand because currently it seems your just blindly following commands you found on the internet with no idea what they do.
"tar" for example, does not compile. Its more like a zip/unzip utility.

Also I would be willing to bet the "error saying that directory does not exist" arises because you either:
1)downloaded static version instead of source
2)did not use the correct file name in tar
3)didnt cd to correct directory (do you know what 'cd' does?)
...or all of the above
Anyway here is the correct commands:
download this, the source version not the static version. minidlna_1.0.25_src.tar.gz/
Yup you need to make sure you have this file "minidlna_1.0.25_src.tar.gz" before you can untar it.
  1. ##"tar -xzvf minidlna_1.0.25_src.tar.gz" extracts the file to folder names minidlna_1.0.25
  2. ##cd minidlna_1.0.25, changes to that directory.
  3. ##make, calls a script in that folder 'makefile' that does the actually compiling.
  4. ##make install, install the files to the correct directories.
  5. tar -xzvf minidlna_1.0.25_src.tar.gz
  6. cd minidlna-1.0.25
  7. make
  8. sudo make install

I STRONGLY encourage you to actually learn what those commands are doing, please don't just blindy follow some guide you find...

#############
ps: since ubuntu is built ontop of debian, its quite probable that you can just use the ubuntu package.
However some kind fellow on the plex forums has created a repository that contains a prebuilt debian package, you should use this instead.
http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/51427-plex-me...
m
l
February 28, 2013 7:36:46 PM

skittle said:
Ok first, you really need to ask your self if you are up to the tasks at hand because currently it seems your just blindly following commands you found on the internet with no idea what they do.
"tar" for example, does not compile. Its more like a zip/unzip utility.

I do feel that I am up to the tasks at hand. I have SOME familiarity with Linux, but I am definitely new so no, I do not know what all of the commands are/do. As everyone tells me, it is best to learn by doing/trying. And, I'm not following random articles.. most of them are referred to me or have a lot of credit from online communities (for example, the Zeldor Guide was posted on several forums).

skittle said:
Also I would be willing to bet the "error saying that directory does not exist" arises because you either:
1)downloaded static version instead of source
2)did not use the correct file name in tar
3)didnt cd to correct directory (do you know what 'cd' does?)
...or all of the above

It was the static version as I saw no other files to download, although I did not check any type of archives for the version they referrenced in the article. I just followed their links... I used the file name of the file downloaded from the website, so I would assume that would be the correct name in tar.

(and, "cd" changes directory... as I said, I am new but I know a good bit of the basic commands as I've only been at this for a month or so...) The file downloaded to my User's "Downloads" directory, so when I was trying to 'cd' I made sure I was in the "Downloads" directory when in command line while attempting this part so it would 'cd' from the Downloads directory to the "minidlna-1.0.25/" directory. I still ran into errors.

skittle said:
Anyway here is the correct commands:
download this, the source version not the static version. minidlna_1.0.25_src.tar.gz/
Yup you need to make sure you have this file "minidlna_1.0.25_src.tar.gz" before you can untar it.
  1. ##"tar -xzvf minidlna_1.0.25_src.tar.gz" extracts the file to folder names minidlna_1.0.25
  2. ##cd minidlna_1.0.25, changes to that directory.
  3. ##make, calls a script in that folder 'makefile' that does the actually compiling.
  4. ##make install, install the files to the correct directories.
  5. tar -xzvf minidlna_1.0.25_src.tar.gz
  6. cd minidlna-1.0.25
  7. make
  8. sudo make install

I STRONGLY encourage you to actually learn what those commands are doing, please don't just blindy follow some guide you find...

#############
ps: since ubuntu is built ontop of debian, its quite probable that you can just use the ubuntu package.
However some kind fellow on the plex forums has created a repository that contains a prebuilt debian package, you should use this instead.
http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/51427-plex-me...

I have already seen this Plex forum thread. It was another area I ran into errors. It was around the command:

sudo curl http://shell.ninthgate.se/packages/shell-ninthgate-se-k... | sudo apt-key add -

... that the erros appeared. I believe it said something about the keyring (like the Gigatech one I posted). I will attempt it again tonight and bring back to the forum any errors I run into. (I beleive it had something to do the "curl" command.)
m
l
Related resources
February 28, 2013 8:08:04 PM

on the sourceforge page, it defaults to the static version on the main page. However if you navigate to the 'files' menu, you can view the sub directory for the newest file version where you can choose source or static version. I also gave you a direct link in the preview post.

because you downloaded the static version, then thats where the 'no directory' errors come from. the static version does not extract to ../downloads/minidlna-1.0.25, but rather it extracts to ../downloads/usr/* as it only contains prebuilt binary files.

As an aside note, when posting that you are getting errors it is always useful to post the output from your terminal to pastebin.com or similar paste website. Otherwise no one knows exactly what the issue is.
m
l
February 28, 2013 9:20:09 PM

skittle said:
on the sourceforge page, it defaults to the static version on the main page. However if you navigate to the 'files' menu, you can view the sub directory for the newest file version where you can choose source or static version. I also gave you a direct link in the preview post.

because you downloaded the static version, then thats where the 'no directory' errors come from. the static version does not extract to ../downloads/minidlna-1.0.25, but rather it extracts to ../downloads/usr/* as it only contains prebuilt binary files.

Ok. That was an issue I had as well, lol. I didn't know where the program files were being extracted to, so I didn't know what to do. Also, I think I figured out the "curl" problem. The link you gave me wasn't the one I was on, but it had the same code (at least VERY close). It is here, but this one didn't show me to install "curl" although I should have thought to just try it...

skittle said:
As an aside note, when posting that you are getting errors it is always useful to post the output from your terminal to pastebin.com or similar paste website. Otherwise no one knows exactly what the issue is.

Thanks. I will look into this after my attempts tonight. I have watch the kid for a bit first.
m
l
March 1, 2013 12:19:17 AM

when using tar, sometimes it is useful to use the 'v' paramter, meaning verbose. it shows what exactly it extracts and to where.
m
l
March 1, 2013 1:13:04 AM

"ls" is pretty useful too.
m
l
March 1, 2013 2:07:17 PM

skittle said:
when using tar, sometimes it is useful to use the 'v' paramter, meaning verbose. it shows what exactly it extracts and to where.

Thanks. It was handy.

And, I thank you for your help. It seems to me that it did install (although it accesses my minidlna.conf file from /home/myuser/Downloads/etc directory. I tried to drag and drop the config file to the /etc directory, but it will not allow it... I assume it is ok where it is at because everything seemed to go ok. I didn't see any errors from using your code above.

Although, I ran into problems with missing libraries... I used one of my sources from above to install the libraries (which were the same as listed in the terminal window) and then continued with your code and everything worked out. But, the source I was using wanted me to run a couple extra commands to have the PC read the config file and launch DLNA server:

$ sudo minidlna -f /etc/minidlna.conf
$ sudo minidlna -R

... and the first of the two worked fine. But, the second command (to rescan my media) gave me errors... I will have to attempt it again tonight to paste the errors. It was getting quite late last night when I made it to this point.
m
l
March 1, 2013 2:10:29 PM

Ijack said:
"ls" is pretty useful too.

I need to get some more practice with what I can do with this command. I basically only know that I can list the files in the directory I'm in and such. I tried to use the filename with this command to search the whole PC for it:

ls <filename>

but I didn't get very far, haha.
m
l
March 1, 2013 3:33:27 PM

You only need to know one Linux command - "man". For further details, open a terminal and type "man man".
m
l
!