Your question

Installing Vista on a new pc

Tags:
  • Laptops
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows Vista
May 1, 2009 12:57:21 AM

I had a dell laptop inspiron 1525 with Vista Home Premium. Recently I got a new pc and i also got Windows Xp Professional as a birthday gift. can i install xp in laptop and vista in the pc. By the way the warranty of the laptop is over. Is it legal to do this? I have heard that vista uses Hardware Id to recognize the syatem and this may not work in the new pc. Please help :cry:  :cry:  :cry: 

More about : installing vista

May 1, 2009 1:01:11 PM

So you're planning to switch oses on both computers. That's fine as long as you have the legit keys. They are on the CD holders or a label on the bottom of a laptop.

Just format both the harddisks prior to installing the OSes.
m
l
May 1, 2009 1:51:31 PM

When you put that Vista disk it may or may not work for reasons you stated.
If it does work be certain to have the correct drivers handy as it is almost certain that it will put the drivers for the laptop on the new PC.

Be sure to do the new PC first in case it doent work so you can use the laptop to get online.
m
l
May 9, 2009 12:33:08 AM

I hve heard that Dell sells OEM versions of Vista and it is illegal to use it with another computer. Is this true?
m
l
May 9, 2009 2:24:19 AM

anoopknayak said:
I hve heard that Dell sells OEM versions of Vista and it is illegal to use it with another computer. Is this true?

It is only illegal to install that OEM license on more than 1 computer.

Dell OEM license can be transferred to another motherboard or even a different machine, by activating through Microsofts Telephone Activation, been there done that for people many, many times.

The WinXP to the laptop won't be a problem as long as all the essential drivers for the laptop are able to be downloaded from the laptop website.

The Dell Vista laptop to desktop however will definitely be a problem if the laptop has a restore CD or DVD, that restore disk will install all the laptop drivers, so if Vista can even get you to the desktop, you'll have to have the proper drivers on hand and ready to install starting with the chipset M/B drivers first.

Personally the laptop to desktop install I don't think will work, but if it does I'll be glad to be wrong for you, and let us know what happens?
m
l
!