RAID with KS and AAKS harddisk

quackerjk

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
Currently I got a Thecus N4100 NAS with a RAID 5 setup.

I intend to add one more new HDD into the RAID architecture. The current Harddisks used are the WD-500 KS harddisks. However the only available Harddisk available are the WD-500 AAKS ones.

From my understanding, RAID is best done with Harddisk of the same make and model. Also with the same hardware specifications. Am I right to assume that?

But the KS and AAKS are different in which the AAKS is newer and has a higher data transfer rate. (There might be other differences that I am not aware of)

Does anyone have any idea if mixing two different generations of WD harddisk but of same model line will result in any problems?

Regards

Reagan

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
I'm doing research for my new quiet computer.

SPCR rates the WD 5000KS very highly in terms of having low-noise characteristics. I looked up the drive on the wdc web-site and they say that the KS has a buffer-to-disk transfer rate of around 750Mb/s, where the AAKS rates around 930Mb/s (mega bits / sec). I think everything else is pretty darn equal.

I've seen a KS for about $111. The lowest AAKS I've seen is about $115 [newegg, go figure 8].

Get the AAKS if you can, but I don't think it matters too much. Hope that answers your question.

Of course, there's also the WD5000YS which is designed specifically for RAID configurations. Near as I can tell, the only real feature is the 1.2 million hours MTBF. There is about a $30 premium as well.

--M

f61

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
You want 2 (or more) identical part numbers. Go with the AAKS, and get NCQ (Native Command Queing) to take a few % of CPU load away.

my2c

f61