Sign in with
Your question

RAID with KS and AAKS harddisk

Last response: in Storage
May 29, 2007 8:22:58 AM

Currently I got a Thecus N4100 NAS with a RAID 5 setup.

I intend to add one more new HDD into the RAID architecture. The current Harddisks used are the WD-500 KS harddisks. However the only available Harddisk available are the WD-500 AAKS ones.

From my understanding, RAID is best done with Harddisk of the same make and model. Also with the same hardware specifications. Am I right to assume that?

But the KS and AAKS are different in which the AAKS is newer and has a higher data transfer rate. (There might be other differences that I am not aware of)

Does anyone have any idea if mixing two different generations of WD harddisk but of same model line will result in any problems?

Regards

More about : raid aaks harddisk

June 8, 2007 6:39:44 AM

I'm doing research for my new quiet computer.

SPCR rates the WD 5000KS very highly in terms of having low-noise characteristics. I looked up the drive on the wdc web-site and they say that the KS has a buffer-to-disk transfer rate of around 750Mb/s, where the AAKS rates around 930Mb/s (mega bits / sec). I think everything else is pretty darn equal.

I've seen a KS for about $111. The lowest AAKS I've seen is about $115 [newegg, go figure 8].

Get the AAKS if you can, but I don't think it matters too much. Hope that answers your question.

Of course, there's also the WD5000YS which is designed specifically for RAID configurations. Near as I can tell, the only real feature is the 1.2 million hours MTBF. There is about a $30 premium as well.

--M
June 17, 2007 7:02:31 PM

You want 2 (or more) identical part numbers. Go with the AAKS, and get NCQ (Native Command Queing) to take a few % of CPU load away.

my2c

f61
!