Sign in with
Your question

Internet Cutting out

Last response: in Wireless Networking
November 25, 2007 4:34:10 PM

Hey everybody, I hope you are all doing well. I have a problem that I have been living with for 4 months and im finally so sick of it im trying to do something about it here it is. Basically every few minutes my internet cuts out for a second, its not enough to really interrupt web surfing or to sign you out of a messenger, but its enough to freeze whatever online computer game im playing for 10-20 seconds (Usually Team Fortress II). In the game my screen will freeze, and say connection error in the top left corner, and then all of a sudden the game plays in fast foward for a second and catches up and I can play normal again, now I got so sick of this that I stopped using my computer and started playing xbox360 and using xbox live to play games, and this problem has been happening there also. But on xbox it completley drops the game, and usually I can rejoin right back into it (Minus score and experience I might have earned in the match). Im at the point where im not even using my computer or games anymore, I come home at night and sit and watch infomercials because gaming is just going to stress me out. Anybody have any idea what is causing this?

I have tried the following, turning off the pcs in the house and just running xbox in the possible event that one of the pcs has some kind of malware thats eating up the bandwith. I still had the same problem. I have tried hooking the xbox directly to the router instead of connecting wirelessly and it still has the same problem. Im thinking there might be a problem with the actual cable signal coming to the house or maybe im crazy? Is there some router setting I might have bungled in setting this all up?? Any help or input is appreciated, thanks in advance and have a great thanksgiving.

Anybody?? Cable guy came recently, said the line was split to many times, and fixed it said I should be all set, still having the same exact problem, anyone have any ideas>?>?

I have also downloaded Ping Plotter and set it to ping google every 15 seconds and every few hours I get clumps of 100% packet loss which is what im assuming is the connection cutting out, I can send copys of the data if anyones interested.

I posted this in the general networking forum and have had no responses, really looking to get some help if anybody has any ideas, thanks.

More about : internet cutting

January 20, 2008 5:03:54 AM

I have the same problem. My connection drops for no reason. I have a D-Link DIR-655. My wireless was fine when i used a Linksys wireless G w/speedboost. Im not usre about the wired part. I do have trouble transfering large files from my laptop to my desktop wired and unwired. Im not sure if it is because of the xp on laptop and vista on desktop is the problem there
Anonymous
January 31, 2010 12:01:43 AM

Hi, I try to play World of Warcraft but have been unable to due to 20 second dropouts and I come back to my group being dead.

I've called Sudden Link about 30 times they either blame my router, the game, my modem, my computer, the wiring of the cable in my house.. I've replaced all of those and tried different games, no router, different computer, new modem.

Asking around other WoW players at work with the same Internet they have the same exact problem also.
Related resources
February 5, 2010 7:16:57 PM

Hi,

I am with Suddenlink. Do you have drop out issues while just surfing the net? I would like to help resolve the issue you are having. Please feel free to contact me at tina-AT-suddenlink-DOT-com. Thanks!
March 5, 2011 4:05:03 AM

rx7000 said:
Hey everybody, I hope you are all doing well. I have a problem that I have been living with for 4 months and im finally so sick of it im trying to do something about it here it is. Basically every few minutes my internet cuts out for a second, its not enough to really interrupt web surfing or to sign you out of a messenger, but its enough to freeze whatever online computer game im playing for 10-20 seconds (Usually Team Fortress II). In the game my screen will freeze, and say connection error in the top left corner, and then all of a sudden the game plays in fast foward for a second and catches up and I can play normal again, now I got so sick of this that I stopped using my computer and started playing xbox360 and using xbox live to play games, and this problem has been happening there also. But on xbox it completley drops the game, and usually I can rejoin right back into it (Minus score and experience I might have earned in the match). Im at the point where im not even using my computer or games anymore, I come home at night and sit and watch infomercials because gaming is just going to stress me out. Anybody have any idea what is causing this?

I have tried the following, turning off the pcs in the house and just running xbox in the possible event that one of the pcs has some kind of malware thats eating up the bandwith. I still had the same problem. I have tried hooking the xbox directly to the router instead of connecting wirelessly and it still has the same problem. Im thinking there might be a problem with the actual cable signal coming to the house or maybe im crazy? Is there some router setting I might have bungled in setting this all up?? Any help or input is appreciated, thanks in advance and have a great thanksgiving.

Anybody?? Cable guy came recently, said the line was split to many times, and fixed it said I should be all set, still having the same exact problem, anyone have any ideas>?>?

I have also downloaded Ping Plotter and set it to ping google every 15 seconds and every few hours I get clumps of 100% packet loss which is what im assuming is the connection cutting out, I can send copys of the data if anyones interested.

I posted this in the general networking forum and have had no responses, really looking to get some help if anybody has any ideas, thanks.

Your cable company can check your modem your router your signal from every outlet, remember everytime you split a line signal is lost. Cable company has new spliters out try them. Watch the cabble man all his leads are long and tightened with a wrench. Make sure your modem and router match your needs. Have the cable company check the signal of there's to the house, than inside the house to see if signal is lost, its usually free. Have the cable man come to your house they can tell you whats wrong and how to fix it. Also Gaming runs your prossessor real hot. The cooler it runs the faster it is. I have 5 connections and run black ops zombies and world of warcraft and the same time and have no problems.
March 3, 2012 1:27:08 AM

pile said:
I have the same problem. My connection drops for no reason. I have a D-Link DIR-655. My wireless was fine when i used a Linksys wireless G w/speedboost. Im not usre about the wired part. I do have trouble transfering large files from my laptop to my desktop wired and unwired. Im not sure if it is because of the xp on laptop and vista on desktop is the problem there

I have the same D-Link router and spent the money bc I was led to believe that this would mitigate dropping issues. Without fail, wi-fi drops every night around the same time and intermittently throughout the day... pisses me off. Tempted to get the "Geeksquad" in to check this out.

Suggestions?

W/O Wireless in Fundas
!