e6400 @ 3.2ghz, but i want more, so much more !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moximus

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
I currently have -
e6400 @ 3.2 ghz - 1.375v
Asus P5N-E SLi - North Bridge @ 1.56v
Corsair TWIN2X 6400 800mhz 1gig - stock volts
Zalman CNPS9700LED for cpu cooling.
Also installed a heatsink fan on the southbridge chipset since it had nothing on it !
I have also flashed on the latest bios.

I know this is already pretty high for air cooling and the 800mhz ram is running perfectly in sync, but, I know there is always a but, I WANT MORE !
I realize that buying some faster ram would solve my problem straight away but I have only purchased this setup 3 months ago and am not made of money.

Is it worth trying to overclock the ram? I have read that the ram runs at 2.1volts standard, I haven't tried putting the volts up in it yet because if the gain is going to be minute I don't think its worth it.

BUT, if someone would be able to shed some light onto my setup, maybe I am doing something wrong else where and would be able to optimize it in other ways I am not sure, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am relatively new to overclocking and this is my first system I have really had a go at and so far I am enjoying learning more and more about all this stuff !

Thanx,
MoX

lmimmfn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
forgive me if im wrong, but shouldnt you be running that CPU at a higher voltage to go higher? i know my 6400 is at 1.47v @3.5Ghz( i didnt change it, board upped it itself ), also that northbridge voltage looks too high, but maybe you need it that high? i hope you have a fan on it

lmimmfn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
sorry, my bad,i had to double check that its on 1.416v on full load( bad memory & im at work, but thats what CPU-Z reports, i dunno if its readings are 100% correct? )? that still to high? i know for a 6400 its supposed to be 1.375

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
forgive me if im wrong, but shouldnt you be running that CPU at a higher voltage to go higher? i know my 6400 is at 1.47v @3.5Ghz( i didnt change it, board upped it itself ), also that northbridge voltage looks too high, but maybe you need it that high? i hope you have a fan on it

IMO 1.47 is waaaaaaaaaaaaay too high.

No, if his temps are still good. 1.47 is no problem. My vcore is 1.49, water cooled of course, and the CPU stays very cool even under load.

He is air cooling so he really shouldn't go over 1.45v because that will push the heat on the cores way up under load.

He's trying to get blood out of a turnip unless he gets some water cooling and pushes his vcore up. It may run higher but won't be stable without that vcore bump and you can't bump the vcore unless you have excellent cooling.

lmimmfn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
No, if his temps are still good. 1.47 is no problem. My vcore is 1.49, water cooled of course, and the CPU stays very cool even under load.

He is air cooling so he really shouldn't go over 1.45v because that will push the heat on the cores way up under load.
at 1.416v on air my idle is 33 degrees, 41 on full load for an hour, and system temp is 40, that sound ok? seems decent enough to me tbh

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
What is the system used for and what performance are you trying to increase?

If you are a gamer, then the CPU OC will likely gain you little.
You may need to look into OC'ing your graphics card more than your CPU.

Also if price is a concern, then trying to push your system to the limit should be as well. Do you really want to risk your parts to go from 132FPS to 134.2 FPS?

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006

at 1.416v on air my idle is 33 degrees, 41 on full load for an hour, and system temp is 40, that sound ok? seems decent enough to me tbh

Be careful with what you use to monitor your temps. With Nvidia Ntune my CPU temp is only 36C which is 4C above ambient case temp of 32C, under load it only goes up 5C to 41C, Orthos 100% both cores and immediately drops back down on halt.

However Riva Tuner software sensors each individual Core. This shows one care idles at 41C and one idles at 43C, under load one cores goes to 50C and one goes to 51C.

So you see, if you use a program that monitors the die temps than they will appear low but if you use a program that monitors core temps, per core, the temps are higher. Those are the ones I like to keep an eye on personally.

lmimmfn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
Be careful with what you use to monitor your temps. With Nvidia Ntune my CPU temp is only 36C which is 4C above ambient case temp of 32C, under load it only goes up 5C to 41C, Orthos 100% both cores and immediately drops back down on halt.

However Riva Tuner software sensors each individual Core. This shows one care idles at 41C and one idles at 43C, under load one cores goes to 50C and one goes to 51C.

So you see, if you use a program that monitors the die temps than they will appear low but if you use a program that monitors core temps, per core, the temps are higher. Those are the ones I like to keep an eye on personally.
Excellent, thanks for the tip, i need to check that out, after an orthos run my temps drop right back down also, but i need to check what riva tuner says, id prefer to have a lower voltage, but its the board itself on auto that has set it at the current voltage( i hate messing with volts lol ) but maybe on auto its just being safe?

lmimmfn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
Will do, and i would be 100% sure you are right, but my assumption on the temps was that there are two readings, the internal core temp( TAT will measure ), and the external temps that e.g. ntune will measure and that the absolute highest a core 2 would go before dying completely is around 78-80 degrees but that anything over 60 is bad, 65 is terrible and dodgy

Ive rarely looked at the intel core temps because i assumed that theyre directly proportional to the external temps, and approx 20 degrees higher in the core, but im willing to accept being absolutely and completely wrong on the issue

lmimmfn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
Thanks for the reminder on the TJunction temps guys, i ran orthos for an hour and it was 65 degrees for both cores( which i presumed it would be between 60-65 ), anyways thats running high for my liking with summer and what not, so

Oh and TAT doesnt run on vista 64bit, used speedfan, core temp and Rightmark CPU clock to find which was more accurate, theyre all spot on and return the same temps, anyways i reduced the overclock will try and get back up to 3Ghz+ keeping cores under 60degrees and volt at 1.375

purdueguy

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
Sell the e6400 and get the e4400 if you want more. The e4400 has a multiplier of 10 where the e6400 is only 8. I'd say that would be a cheap upgrade.

lmimmfn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
Yeah I knew that was right temps for you.
Speedfan and TAT read within 1c of each other on my machine and they measure at the same junction so I know they are right. My bios and gigabyte software both read my cpu as 15c less. 8O
yeah to be honest i knew about the difference but only have this rig up and running for just over 3 weeks not and never went back to the core temps and simply forgot all about it, the lower value is the Tcase temp while the higher is the tjunction if i remember correctly. Anyways im gonna start at the start again( have to anyway, X-fi popping and need to try a bios update ), going back up but at least i know its capable of it :)

I hit a wall at 3.0 GHZ and had to increase to 1.4125v to get 3.2GHz. Dude.. Sit on it at the speed you have. If it's stable be happy you are running faster than the freaking x6800. If you want MORE POWER. Wait till July 22nd and get a Q6600 when the price comes down. But you said you aren't made of money. So I take it you aren't planning to do that. And remember with overclocking you run the risk of frying something as well. I would think if you "aren't made of money" you would take reason over risk at this point. There isn't anything that CPU is going to run and choak at unless you are calculating Pi or folding@home.

lmimmfn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
damn i noticed that my mobo deault settings are too high, 1.4 for vcore, 1.4 for FSB( ill see if i can lower that once i get CPU sorted ). Anyways, working back up im at 51degrees for a 2.9Ghz overclock :). Fan settings were also set stupidly high, 100% for over 70C 8O

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Sell the e6400 and get the e4400 if you want more. The e4400 has a multiplier of 10 where the e6400 is only 8. I'd say that would be a cheap upgrade.

Allendale core will require a higher voltage to achieve the same OC and tops out around 3.2-3.3 GHz, very few get much above 3.4. Conroe is a much better core.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
At stock I idle at 19c and load at 35c

In OC mode I idle at 24-25c and load at 42c.

The load delta of 8c he was referring to is indicative of inaccurate temps, but a load temp of 41c isn't that hard to achieve. :wink:

Moximus

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Thanx to everyone who replied to my questions etc.

Well I will just leave it at 3.2ghz, gotta be happy with that i guess ;)

TRENDING THREADS