Sign in with
Your question

Can't boot from Vista 64-bit DVD... but XP 32-bit works fine!

Last response: in Windows Vista
May 3, 2009 2:19:19 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm having a problem with my new computer and was hoping someone would be able to help me!

I've built it all from scratch apart from my old hard disk which has XP Media Centre installed. I've got a Vista 64-bit DVD which I got from my University and am trying to do a clean install of Vista using this. However, when I try to boot from the DVD, it just doesn't even seem to recognise that it's there. I've tried to boot using my XP Media Centre disc (32-bit) and it works fine, just not the Vista one.

I've checked in the BIOS and the CD drive is first in the boot sequence, followed by the hard drive. I followed a friend's suggestion to use the XP disc to format my hard disk so that it is empty, and then try to boot from the Vista disc again... but no luck!

Has anyone ever encountered this problem before, or have any ideas on what I could do to get it to boot? Alternatively, is there any other way to install Vista 64-bit on a machine without booting from the install disc (ie. starting the install manually)? Any help at all would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
May 3, 2009 3:06:19 PM

usually a failure to boot from a DVD is related to a problem the drive is having with the burn or the media (brand/type) that was used. If you have another DVD drive you could hook up temporarily, even an external one, thios might solve your problem. If that does not work I'd try another disk.
m
l
May 4, 2009 10:22:08 PM

Does the drive read the Vista DVD from within Windows?
m
l
Related resources
May 5, 2009 1:01:40 PM

/agreed on a 'data only' mis~burn on the Vista disc. Needs to be an .iso
m
l
May 9, 2009 5:33:58 PM

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your replies!

1. I tried the disc with a different drive, and it didn't work either.
2. The Vista disc reads fine in Windows.

The latest development is that I downloaded an ISO of the Vista disc again from my university, so I know that it actually SHOULD work! I burned this onto DVD and tried again... but still no boot!
m
l
May 10, 2009 2:21:20 AM

DynamicDonut said:
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your replies!

1. I tried the disc with a different drive, and it didn't work either.
2. The Vista disc reads fine in Windows.

The latest development is that I downloaded an ISO of the Vista disc again from my university, so I know that it actually SHOULD work! I burned this onto DVD and tried again... but still no boot!

Don't want to beat a dead horse but you didn't say for sure that you burned the ISO as a disk image, as opposed to a data disk. There is not much else left to check. Tell me that you know all about the difference between burning an image and a data disk and I'll let it go. LOL
m
l
May 10, 2009 9:18:36 AM

Hi notherdude,

I assume you mean that after burning, the contents of the disc is the contents of the ISO (ie. as if it was an actual disc full of files), rather than the disc just containing the ISO file?

After burning, I can browse to it in Windows and see all the Vista files on the disc.
m
l
!