Dell e6600

Tunez

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
Hi, i have a dell 9200 with an e6600, i am going to build a new pc (first build) and im giving the dell to a friend. Is it possible to take the e6600 out and put it into the system i will be building and put in a slower processor? to save me money?

Also can i take out one of the harddrives and use it?

Thanks

Ssoulrunner

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
8the E6600 is a 775 pin cpu, as long as your new mobo is a 775 pin mobo there should be no problems hooking them up. What are you going to be using your chariot for??? :roll:

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
8the E6600 is a 775 pin cpu, as long as your new mobo is a 775 pin mobo there should be no problems hooking them up. What are you going to be using your chariot for??? :roll:

wow, thats not true is it? make sure you get a compat chips set, ie 965, 8650, 680.

and yes GFX card must remain in the smae slot type, APG or PCI Ex

you can replace you HDD with your old one, but i always like getting new ones

Hi, i have a dell 9200 with an e6600, i am going to build a new pc (first build) and im giving the dell to a friend. Is it possible to take the e6600 out and put it into the system i will be building and put in a slower processor? to save me money?

Also can i take out one of the harddrives and use it?

Thanks

It's exactly what I did. I got an E4300 and put it in the Dell case( after updating to the latest bios ) and used both of the harddrives that were in my XPS 410.
I'm beginning to think that Dell gets the bottom of the barrel chips though, as I can't get it to run stable past 3.15.
It could just be my lack of cpu overclocking knowledge.

Ssoulrunner

Distinguished
May 27, 2007

wow, thats not true is it? make sure you get a compat chips set, ie 965, 8650, 680.

and yes GFX card must remain in the smae slot type, APG or PCI Ex

you can replace you HDD with your old one, but i always like getting new ones

Why? Do you disagree?

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Really???? VGA is not interchangeable with PCI. Don't confuse the newbies..

I was saying that it's possible to take a video card out of one pc and put it in another, not jam a PCI card into and AGP slot.

Interchangeable parts are components of any device designed to specifications which insure that they will fit within any device of the same type

See? That's what I ment by interchangeable. And why did you only comment about the gfx card? It's not like you can jam a skt478 proc in an lga775 socket, or a sata hdd or optical drive in an IDE slot.

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
8the E6600 is a 775 pin cpu, as long as your new mobo is a 775 pin mobo there should be no problems hooking them up.

This is fundementally wrong. Check the motherboard vendor for the chipset. Check the chipset specifications to make sure Core2Duo 1066mhz chips are supported. Granted, there are some motherboards that will support Core2 chips that don't say so, but many older boards will not work with it.

Intel is not like AMD. You can't drop and run a chip if the socket is the same.

Tunez

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
thanks for the replies

one more question, doesnt involve cpus but whilst im here... i have 4 gigs of 533mhz ram in the 9200 (2 gigs came from dell) would it be worth putting them into the new system and buy 1 gig of cheap ram to put in the dell or would it be worth upgrading to 4 gigs 800mhz ram?

Thanks

Tunez

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
well i heard (cant remember were from) that dell use poor quality parts in there systems and cannot be overclocked. i dont understand much about overclocking and i was planning on giving it a go on the new build.

So the dell parts should be alright for overclocking?

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
No, my post says the exact opposite, atleast I think it does...

It's not that Dell uses poor quality parts, it's just that Dell's arent ment to be oc'ed, so they use cheaper, easier to get parts that work fine for non-oc'ed computers. Like the ram, they're not going to use D9GMH D9's in their modules, all it's going to do is jack up the price of their systems. They're going to go with a company like Elpida, who makes IC's that work fine, but arent made to be clocked up. 'Cource, that only applies to parts that Dell has direct controll over. So an Intel CPU or ATi gfx card in one of their computers is going to be the same as the one you can buy off Newegg.

Tunez

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
o yea sorry, misread it... i bought 2 gigs from a crucial website that sed it was compatible with the dell... if i find the exact spec of the ram is there anything i should look out for in the spec to see if it would be alright for overclocking?

what speeds should the 533mhz ram clock to?

also if i buy an extra 2 gigs do the voltages of the ram etc have to the the same aswell or just the 533?

thanks for the quick replies... much appreciated!! :lol:

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Eh, it depends on how well the ram oc's. Ideally, you want to run the ram and cpu in a 1:1 ratio, and 533mhz ram is already 1:1, since 533mhz ram actually operates at 266mhz, but since it's double data rate memory it can complete 2 operationg per clock, making it's effective speed 533mhz and the C2D's use a quad pumped 266mhz FSB, totally 1066.

It would be best for compatibility to use the same sticks as the ones you have now. Sometimes different sticks don't work well together, especially if the IC's are different. You can use different ram with the stuff you have now, but it'll be forced to run at the same speed, timings, and voltage as your current 2gb set.

Tunez

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
ahh ok get that now

but for warranty purposes on the dell id like to keep the original 2 gigs in there, so there shouldnt b a problem with buying nu ram as long as it is 533mhz....

Stagletto

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
Hi peeps, first time on the forums and saw this topic.

I have a Dell Dimension 9200 as well, exactly the same setup as the guy who started the topic. Is there a pretty much totally safe way of overclocking this? Ive read about the E6600 going up to 3ghz stably with stock cooling... wouldnt mind a little performance boost for nothing!

Something else ive noticed on CPU-Z, my mulitplier changes from 6.0x to 9.0x every now and then (usually sits at 6.0x when idling). Is this the CPU or the Dell mobo responding to CPU requirements (ie, it changes the multiplier when the CPU gets loaded)?

Cheers all 8)

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Yeah, replace the mobo. The BIOS in Dell computers don't have any oc'ing options at all. You should probably replace the psu as well...

That's normal, it's called speedstep. The cpu clocks itself down when not in heavy use to save power.

bliq

Distinguished
ahh ok get that now

but for warranty purposes on the dell id like to keep the original 2 gigs in there, so there shouldnt b a problem with buying nu ram as long as it is 533mhz....

If you care about the warranty, you probably shouldn't pull anything out of it that came with it. Replacing the processor is probably a violation of warranty. It's not a hard case for Dell to make that a processor swap like that with a non-Dell supplied part could be the cause for a multitude of problems.

The change in the multiplier is caused by Intels Speedstep, it cannot be turned off on the Dell. You cannot overclock it and you cannot change out the motherboard on that box. Best bet is to do like I did and pull the parts to build your own.