Best CPU (and case maybe) Solution for my Sonata II Rig...

Blacklava

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
Hi guys and girls,

Assuming price is not an object (as purchasing cooling is not that expensive, in the grand scheme of things), how can I make my rig cooler? Right now, it's idling at about 95 degrees F. No clue, but that seems kind of warm:

Antec Sonata II (stock 120mm rear exhaust fan)
Intel C2D E6300 (stock cooling)
Enermax Liberty 620 watt w/modular cabling
250 GB 7200 rpm SATA 2 Seagate Barracuda HD
Lite On 16X DVD/RW CD/RW Sata 2 drive
Sapphire Radeon X1950XT 256MB
2 GB PC667 Patriot RAM

I have the ability to install another 120mm intake fan in the front and 2 other 80mm fans. Off the top of my head, I didn't think purchasing more fans was absolutely necessary, but I guess that's why I'm here.

Maybe another 120mm fan? If so, which brand.

I definitely think I need cooling for my CPU. Which do you guys suggest that would safely fit in my case. I know the Thermalright Ultra is king, but I'm afraid it may not fit. If you don't think it fit, what do you suggest? Thank you for all of your help.

'Lava

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
35ºc is fine, you could double that temp and the computer would still be use able.

If you do want better cooling get an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, they're $22 at Directron (IIRC).

Also, you might want to replace the hsf on the 1950xt. That cards runs hellaciously hot. You could probably drop the ambient case temp by a couple degrees by getting a new one.

A PCI slot fan or two would help as well. Their name is kinda misleading, since most don't get their power from a PCI slot, they just screw onto the expansion slots on th back of the case, venting hot air.