Is my motherboard socket damaged? Flash the BIOS?

silentdream

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2005
Hello everyone,

While I was working in my computer, I tried to get this tank of a heatsink/fan off my processor so I can upgrade the processor to a duel core. It was so hard to come off, in doing so, I pulled the processor up along with the heatsink/fan. I did not have the opportunity to lift the processor out by first lifting the handle on the ZIF socket. There are no bent pins on the processor I took out. However, I am concerned I might have damaged the socket. What do you guys think?

Also, my board is a socket 939 and currently have a single core 3800+ processor. I want to go to a duel core, do I need to flash the BIOS first? Can I install the duel core first, then flash the BIOS? I will put in the duel-core assuming I didn't damage the socket on the board. I will put back the single core processor and see if the computer boots with it to make sure the socket is still intact. Would I be able to run the processor for a minute of two without a heatsink/fan?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ron

Hello everyone,

While I was working in my computer, I tried to get this tank of a heatsink/fan off my processor so I can upgrade the processor to a duel core. It was so hard to come off, in doing so, I pulled the processor up along with the heatsink/fan. I did not have the opportunity to lift the processor out by first lifting the handle on the ZIF socket. There are no bent pins on the processor I took out. However, I am concerned I might have damaged the socket. What do you guys think?

Also, my board is a socket 939 and currently have a single core 3800+ processor. I want to go to a duel core, do I need to flash the BIOS first? Can I install the duel core first, then flash the BIOS? I will put in the duel-core assuming I didn't damage the socket on the board. I will put back the single core processor and see if the computer boots with it to make sure the socket is still intact. Would I be able to run the processor for a minute of two without a heatsink/fan?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ron

It was so hard to come off, in doing so, I pulled the processor up along with the heatsink/fan.

Gently twist or rock the heatsink and work it loose gently from the processor. Don't forcefully pull the heatsink directly from the cpu.

However, I am concerned I might have damaged the socket. What do you guys think?

You can bend the procerssor pins easily. Try reinstalling a processor and check for damage to the socket.

I want to go to a duel core, do I need to flash the BIOS first?

It depends on which MB and BIOS you have. Look up processor support on your MB'swebsite. You should list your specs and at least give your MB information when asking a question about BIOS and CPU support?

I will put in the duel-core assuming I didn't damage the socket on the board.

Be sure to install the heatsink fan too.

I will put back the single core processor and see if the computer boots with it to make sure the socket is still intact.

Again, be sure and apply thermal paste and install the HSF when you are testing the processor.

Would I be able to run the processor for a minute of two without a heatsink/fan?

Not recommended. You will damage the processor.

silentdream

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2005
I did damaged the processor. Some pins are bent and it doesn't fit into the socket properly. Since I can't flash the Bios now for a duel core processor, I don't want to buy a single core,just to flash and then replace it with a duel core. I've decided I will go with a new intel motherboard. Nothing against AMD. I will get a new case, motherboard, cpu and memory. Question, DDR 400 can't be used on an intel motherboard right?

Also I am looking for recommendations on these components: Intel Duel core motherboard with SLI, (case with pull out motherboard tray so I can install motherboard and many components before I put it into the case), Duel core CPU and finally DDR2 Ram. I am trying to keep everything under $500.

Thanks for your help.

Ron