What is better, Vista or XP?

Ssoulrunner

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
So what is the better OS of the two? XP or VISTA???

I've had vista ultimate for 4 months now and have finally figured out the majority of the BUGS. However I expect more bugs to bite...

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
You make the pros and cons, what you get and what you lose; did Vista give you any thing XP did not (aside from the cool graphics and trendy options of course)?! Did it adversely affect your system in any way.
IMO, it's always wise to wait at least one year for a new Windows OS, till it has been cleared by bugs and patched properly and of course, hardware has caught up; currently, only the most recent hardware is fully optimized for it and even with the latest price drops, the comfortable 4G of RAM is hardly the norm, that's why some vendors come up with artifices like flash RAM, advanced HDD swapping etc.
I am not saying that Vista is horrible, it's just that for the moment, XP offers the same compatibility while consuming far less RAM and reacting faster.

chowner

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007
Best OS is OS X with its 111% guarantee of never getting a virus or malware.
Also xp and vista just don't work you gotta spend hours upon hours looking for drivers and installing your software and then updating the OS. I mean OS X just works no need to ever worry about drivers and all the software you need is preinstalled. Its the very obvious choice that OS x will rock your world. Who has all the time todo updates and install drivers? I know you don't so just get what works.

Peffse

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2007
Also xp and vista just don't work you gotta spend hours upon hours looking for drivers and installing your software and then updating the OS. I mean OS X just works no need to ever worry about drivers and all the software you need is preinstalled. Its the very obvious choice that OS x will rock your world. Who has all the time todo updates and install drivers? I know you don't so just get what works.
I challenge you to read the first post again. Then, once that amazingly hard task is done, I challenge you to locate where OS X is listed.
...man, I hate internet trolls.

Ok, back on topic. I say that for now, XP is better... I wouldn't adopt Vista until SP1, for all the reasons that m25 already listed.

malkaviano

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2007

Trooooooooooooling.

Man no way vista could be better than XP, b4 some SP's come out.

Remember XP b4 SP2? OMG... terrible. After SP2 best TCO S.O. And i think we'll see a SP3 soon, to finish the job on XP.

In my opinion 1 more year until Vista start to be good for users.

chowner

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007
I am not trolling I am spreading the gospel of the greatness of Apple around if you consider this trolling then I am truly sadden.

Ssoulrunner

Distinguished
May 27, 2007

....cool. I'll read all the info available on OSx and decide from there. You are right no one HAS time to do updates ect. However, to solve one problem opens up potential solutions to other problems which arise.

Ssoulrunner

Distinguished
May 27, 2007

....cool. I'll read all the info available on OSx and decide from there. You are right no one HAS time to do updates ect. However, to solve one problem opens up potential solutions to other problems which arise.

michaelst

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Just to show you how much i don't know.

Do they even sell OS X seperately? I mean, can you build a PC, with an Intel CPU and buy and load OS X?

abasoufiane

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
Chower , i just don't like people like you, what do they call them , fanboys?

Trooooooooooooling.

Remember XP b4 SP2? OMG... terrible. After SP2 best TCO S.O. And i think we'll see a SP3 soon, to finish the job on XP.

In my opinion 1 more year until Vista start to be good for users.

he wasn't talking about Vista , but OS X, the apple OS, tiger leopard you name it !!

i instaled Vista 32bit like 3months ago and so far so good, still some very incompatibility problems with VERY FEW application, otherwise eveyrthing else tuns like in XP. as for people that keep saying VIsta needs 3Gb or 4Gb to be good, that's fu***g bull crap, i have 1.5GB of ram and it runs very well, even when playin games like FEAR it runs good. (Pd 805 + x800 xl) please stop that whining and exagerating too much, Vista is really a good OS and it will only get better, sure it need more hardware but not as some people might make you think, it uses far more less hardware.

if you have a good antivirus and a firewall, you have no worries about viruses or spyware unless if you are hunting them. Vista works out of the box with a huuuuge variety of hardware because many drivers are instaled automaticaly during the first install, you can still however use the updated drivers from the manufacturer website. is it a big deal ? noo not at all. you don't keep doing that everytime but only once in a while.

but let me tell you two very good reason to consider windows:

if you are a gamer, you cannot forget windows.
99% of softwares are developed for windows!! you got a huuuuuge selection of everything you need.

Do they even sell OS X seperately? I mean, can you build a PC, with an Intel CPU and buy and load OS X?
The answer is NO. OSX is a proprietary OS, it is not sold seperately and it is illegal to install it on non apple PCs.

If you want apples OSX, then you are forced to buy apple hardware. (why do you think you dont need to find drivers? they only need to make a few because your locked into their hardware). As i understand it though, you can upgrade the video card to a third party one!

Vista is pretty nice, I like it. Espically the new Media Center. As mentioned above, driver support is already AMAZING, even during RC2 beta. I installed RC2 on 3 different computers (including a cheap laptop with 512mb of ram and integrated graphics) and they all ran smooth on a fresh install; vista found every driver save for a modem... and even found drivers for my HP officejet printer. And dont let me forget... Vista even installs significantly faster than OSX, and XP.

EDIT: Also note that windows update actually works in vista! it really finds new drivers and installs them. I know i was excited when it first worked, maybe you ill be too :)

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
I hate how mac fans are obsesed by OSX10, anyone can see that its a dodgy Unix distro, with a rediculas price tag. ITs essenciall linux so why isnt it FREE?

anywho back to the storry, im gonna say Vista is better, now here the thing it not that much better than people where hoping, and people where judging before launch.

I have vista on my newest PC and i use it more than XP as it works well and is a little smoother than XP.

If your building a new PC get vista there no point not to, however if you have XP running smoothly on a preexisting machine, i recommend not upgrading until SP1

Ssoulrunner

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
abasoufiane said:
Chower , i just don't like people like you, what do they call them , fanboys?

Trooooooooooooling.

he wasn't talking about Vista , but OS X, the apple OS, tiger leopard you name it !!

YEAH I WAS talking about VISTA, if I wanted info on OSx I would have asked about OSx... So shake it off.

Funny thing, for so many nerds they sure are ignorant.

Peffse

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2007
blah blah blah ....spreading the gospel of the greatness of Apple around... blah blah blah
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha... oh, I haven't had a good laugh like that in a while.

If your building a new PC get vista there no point not to, however if you have XP running smoothly on a preexisting machine, i recommend not upgrading until SP1
This thread in a nutshell.

Ssoulrunner

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
The answer is NO. OSX is a proprietary OS, it is not sold seperately and it is illegal to install it on non apple PCs.

If you want apples OSX, then you are forced to buy apple hardware. (why do you think you dont need to find drivers? they only need to make a few because your locked into their hardware). As i understand it though, you can upgrade the video card to a third party one!

Vista is pretty nice, I like it. Espically the new Media Center. As mentioned above, driver support is already AMAZING, even during RC2 beta. I installed RC2 on 3 different computers (including a cheap laptop with 512mb of ram and integrated graphics) and they all ran smooth on a fresh install; vista found every driver save for a modem... and even found drivers for my HP officejet printer. And dont let me forget... Vista even installs significantly faster than OSX, and XP.

thats what I figured cept it's amazing how some of these people know absolutley everything, except the question you ask them???

Spidubic

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006

There is a quote that is going to come back to bite you. The only reason you don't get any virus or malware is because there are so few Mac users the hackers can't be bothered. If they ever made a concerted effort to nail the Mac OS you would be in serious trouble.

SPARTAN-117

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
If you're currently running XP on a PC then wait to upgrade to Vista after they release SP1 for the thing. If you're doing a new build I'd recommend this: install XP then use the Vista transformation pack to convert it to a near Vista mock-up. Yes you won't have all the neat features like Bit-Locker and IPv6 support but you'll have the Vista GUI and several of Vista features like the side-bar. If you don't like XP after the Vista transformation pack then just uninstall the pack and wait for Vista SP1.

Ssoulrunner

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
the question wasn't weather I thought it was better, the question was directed to all of youse so I could have feed back. And there may be others out there that are looking for answers to many questions this one question may answer.

abasoufiane

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
must be that OSx system thats confusing you. Being the question was about XP and VISTA and apple wasn't even brought up.

yep, one guy asked about Vista VS Xp , and the other answered OSX.

anyway i replied in my first post to both matters, vista vs xp and windows vs apple and for that last one it was just because i hate fanboys.

spaztic7

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
Ok... This is what I learned from this thread...

If your computer is on XP, don't upgrade until SP1 for vista. (ehh.... I put it on my old system and it runs just as well if not better)

If you build a new system, get Vista for it! (I totally agree!!!)

If you are a few and... well... oddly proud that you have a mac; you can't buy OSX it without buying a mac, really upgrade the hardware, game on it like you can on a PC, can't get a virus (like said before, in windows, just get a good firewall and anti-virus), and you must give in to Steve Jobs will. (I hate mac with a passion)

But most important of all,

Boo creepy foot doctor, HOORAY BEER!

spaztic7

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
I posted the same message twice, so I edited the text out, but listen the the guy who posted just after me about the majority and such.

Wylkell

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Yes, OS X (along with HPUX, AIX, and many other "low population" operating systems) get's the benefit of not running on most computers in the world. You see, if i'm going to write a virus, should i write one for 90% of the computers on the internet, or should i write one for one of the smaller fractions of that last 10%? Not a hard choice. Windows suffers the majority of ills because it is the majority OS.

If your OS of choice had the majority, the exploits for it would be coming out of the wall as well. Look at firefox. It's starting to get hit with more exploits now that internet explorer isn't the insane majority anymore. It's not just about the state and securness of your code.

And yes, your trolling.