Sign in with
Your question

What is better, Vista or XP?

Last response: in CPUs
May 29, 2007 2:28:50 PM

So what is the better OS of the two? XP or VISTA???

I've had vista ultimate for 4 months now and have finally figured out the majority of the BUGS. However I expect more bugs to bite...

More about : vista

May 29, 2007 2:46:27 PM

You make the pros and cons, what you get and what you lose; did Vista give you any thing XP did not (aside from the cool graphics and trendy options of course)?! Did it adversely affect your system in any way.
IMO, it's always wise to wait at least one year for a new Windows OS, till it has been cleared by bugs and patched properly and of course, hardware has caught up; currently, only the most recent hardware is fully optimized for it and even with the latest price drops, the comfortable 4G of RAM is hardly the norm, that's why some vendors come up with artifices like flash RAM, advanced HDD swapping etc.
I am not saying that Vista is horrible, it's just that for the moment, XP offers the same compatibility while consuming far less RAM and reacting faster.
May 29, 2007 3:04:51 PM

Best OS is OS X with its 111% guarantee of never getting a virus or malware.
Also xp and vista just don't work you gotta spend hours upon hours looking for drivers and installing your software and then updating the OS. I mean OS X just works no need to ever worry about drivers and all the software you need is preinstalled. Its the very obvious choice that OS x will rock your world. Who has all the time todo updates and install drivers? I know you don't so just get what works.
Related resources
May 29, 2007 3:14:14 PM

Quote:
Also xp and vista just don't work you gotta spend hours upon hours looking for drivers and installing your software and then updating the OS. I mean OS X just works no need to ever worry about drivers and all the software you need is preinstalled. Its the very obvious choice that OS x will rock your world. Who has all the time todo updates and install drivers? I know you don't so just get what works.

I challenge you to read the first post again. Then, once that amazingly hard task is done, I challenge you to locate where OS X is listed.
...man, I hate internet trolls.

Ok, back on topic. I say that for now, XP is better... I wouldn't adopt Vista until SP1, for all the reasons that m25 already listed.
May 29, 2007 3:19:05 PM

Quote:

Trooooooooooooling.

Man no way vista could be better than XP, b4 some SP's come out.

Remember XP b4 SP2? OMG... terrible. After SP2 best TCO S.O. And i think we'll see a SP3 soon, to finish the job on XP.

In my opinion 1 more year until Vista start to be good for users.
May 29, 2007 3:21:14 PM

I am not trolling I am spreading the gospel of the greatness of Apple around if you consider this trolling then I am truly sadden.
May 29, 2007 3:21:33 PM

Quote:

....cool. I'll read all the info available on OSx and decide from there. You are right no one HAS time to do updates ect. However, to solve one problem opens up potential solutions to other problems which arise.
May 29, 2007 3:22:24 PM

Quote:

....cool. I'll read all the info available on OSx and decide from there. You are right no one HAS time to do updates ect. However, to solve one problem opens up potential solutions to other problems which arise.
May 29, 2007 3:29:21 PM

Just to show you how much i don't know.

Do they even sell OS X seperately? I mean, can you build a PC, with an Intel CPU and buy and load OS X?
May 29, 2007 3:35:08 PM

Chower , i just don't like people like you, what do they call them , fanboys?

Quote:
Trooooooooooooling.

Remember XP b4 SP2? OMG... terrible. After SP2 best TCO S.O. And i think we'll see a SP3 soon, to finish the job on XP.

In my opinion 1 more year until Vista start to be good for users.

he wasn't talking about Vista , but OS X, the apple OS, tiger leopard you name it !!

i instaled Vista 32bit like 3months ago and so far so good, still some very incompatibility problems with VERY FEW application, otherwise eveyrthing else tuns like in XP. as for people that keep saying VIsta needs 3Gb or 4Gb to be good, that's fu***g bull crap, i have 1.5GB of ram and it runs very well, even when playin games like FEAR it runs good. (Pd 805 + x800 xl) please stop that whining and exagerating too much, Vista is really a good OS and it will only get better, sure it need more hardware but not as some people might make you think, it uses far more less hardware.

Quote:

if you have a good antivirus and a firewall, you have no worries about viruses or spyware unless if you are hunting them. Vista works out of the box with a huuuuge variety of hardware because many drivers are instaled automaticaly during the first install, you can still however use the updated drivers from the manufacturer website. is it a big deal ? noo not at all. you don't keep doing that everytime but only once in a while.

but let me tell you two very good reason to consider windows:

if you are a gamer, you cannot forget windows.
99% of softwares are developed for windows!! you got a huuuuuge selection of everything you need.
May 29, 2007 3:38:46 PM

Quote:
Do they even sell OS X seperately? I mean, can you build a PC, with an Intel CPU and buy and load OS X?

The answer is NO. OSX is a proprietary OS, it is not sold seperately and it is illegal to install it on non apple PCs.

If you want apples OSX, then you are forced to buy apple hardware. (why do you think you dont need to find drivers? they only need to make a few because your locked into their hardware). As i understand it though, you can upgrade the video card to a third party one!

Vista is pretty nice, I like it. Espically the new Media Center. As mentioned above, driver support is already AMAZING, even during RC2 beta. I installed RC2 on 3 different computers (including a cheap laptop with 512mb of ram and integrated graphics) and they all ran smooth on a fresh install; vista found every driver save for a modem... and even found drivers for my HP officejet printer. And dont let me forget... Vista even installs significantly faster than OSX, and XP.

EDIT: Also note that windows update actually works in vista! it really finds new drivers and installs them. I know i was excited when it first worked, maybe you ill be too :) 
May 29, 2007 3:38:52 PM

I hate how mac fans are obsesed by OSX10, anyone can see that its a dodgy Unix distro, with a rediculas price tag. ITs essenciall linux so why isnt it FREE?

anywho back to the storry, im gonna say Vista is better, now here the thing it not that much better than people where hoping, and people where judging before launch.

I have vista on my newest PC and i use it more than XP as it works well and is a little smoother than XP.

If your building a new PC get vista there no point not to, however if you have XP running smoothly on a preexisting machine, i recommend not upgrading until SP1
May 29, 2007 3:44:17 PM

Quote:
Chower , i just don't like people like you, what do they call them , fanboys?

Quote:
Trooooooooooooling.

he wasn't talking about Vista , but OS X, the apple OS, tiger leopard you name it !!

YEAH I WAS talking about VISTA, if I wanted info on OSx I would have asked about OSx... So shake it off.

Funny thing, for so many nerds they sure are ignorant.
May 29, 2007 3:49:32 PM

Quote:
blah blah blah ....spreading the gospel of the greatness of Apple around... blah blah blah

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha... oh, I haven't had a good laugh like that in a while.

Quote:
If your building a new PC get vista there no point not to, however if you have XP running smoothly on a preexisting machine, i recommend not upgrading until SP1

This thread in a nutshell.
May 29, 2007 3:51:37 PM

Quote:

The answer is NO. OSX is a proprietary OS, it is not sold seperately and it is illegal to install it on non apple PCs.

If you want apples OSX, then you are forced to buy apple hardware. (why do you think you dont need to find drivers? they only need to make a few because your locked into their hardware). As i understand it though, you can upgrade the video card to a third party one!

Vista is pretty nice, I like it. Espically the new Media Center. As mentioned above, driver support is already AMAZING, even during RC2 beta. I installed RC2 on 3 different computers (including a cheap laptop with 512mb of ram and integrated graphics) and they all ran smooth on a fresh install; vista found every driver save for a modem... and even found drivers for my HP officejet printer. And dont let me forget... Vista even installs significantly faster than OSX, and XP.

thats what I figured cept it's amazing how some of these people know absolutley everything, except the question you ask them???
May 29, 2007 3:51:42 PM

goddamn i'm confused now
May 29, 2007 3:54:29 PM

Quote:

There is a quote that is going to come back to bite you. The only reason you don't get any virus or malware is because there are so few Mac users the hackers can't be bothered. If they ever made a concerted effort to nail the Mac OS you would be in serious trouble.
May 29, 2007 3:55:11 PM

If you're currently running XP on a PC then wait to upgrade to Vista after they release SP1 for the thing. If you're doing a new build I'd recommend this: install XP then use the Vista transformation pack to convert it to a near Vista mock-up. Yes you won't have all the neat features like Bit-Locker and IPv6 support but you'll have the Vista GUI and several of Vista features like the side-bar. If you don't like XP after the Vista transformation pack then just uninstall the pack and wait for Vista SP1.
May 29, 2007 3:56:04 PM

well you have owned it for 4 months now... which do you think is better? thats all that really matters.
May 29, 2007 3:56:25 PM

Quote:
goddamn i'm confused now

must be that OSx system thats confusing you. Being the question was about XP and VISTA and apple wasn't even brought up.
May 29, 2007 4:04:00 PM

the question wasn't weather I thought it was better, the question was directed to all of youse so I could have feed back. And there may be others out there that are looking for answers to many questions this one question may answer.
May 29, 2007 4:04:39 PM

Quote:

must be that OSx system thats confusing you. Being the question was about XP and VISTA and apple wasn't even brought up.

yep, one guy asked about Vista VS Xp , and the other answered OSX.

anyway i replied in my first post to both matters, vista vs xp and windows vs apple and for that last one it was just because i hate fanboys.
May 29, 2007 4:09:44 PM

Ok... This is what I learned from this thread...

If your computer is on XP, don't upgrade until SP1 for vista. (ehh.... I put it on my old system and it runs just as well if not better)

If you build a new system, get Vista for it! (I totally agree!!!)

If you are a few and... well... oddly proud that you have a mac; you can't buy OSX it without buying a mac, really upgrade the hardware, game on it like you can on a PC, can't get a virus (like said before, in windows, just get a good firewall and anti-virus), and you must give in to Steve Jobs will. (I hate mac with a passion)

But most important of all,

Boo creepy foot doctor, HOORAY BEER!
May 29, 2007 4:10:43 PM

I posted the same message twice, so I edited the text out, but listen the the guy who posted just after me about the majority and such.
May 29, 2007 4:10:45 PM

Quote:

Yes, OS X (along with HPUX, AIX, and many other "low population" operating systems) get's the benefit of not running on most computers in the world. You see, if i'm going to write a virus, should i write one for 90% of the computers on the internet, or should i write one for one of the smaller fractions of that last 10%? Not a hard choice. Windows suffers the majority of ills because it is the majority OS.

If your OS of choice had the majority, the exploits for it would be coming out of the wall as well. Look at firefox. It's starting to get hit with more exploits now that internet explorer isn't the insane majority anymore. It's not just about the state and securness of your code.

And yes, your trolling.
a b à CPUs
May 29, 2007 4:10:55 PM

I will buy Vista one of these days because I am a programmer and want to learn about the new goodies in Vista such as Windows Presentation Foundation or Silverlight. Eventually this can lead to making money, you know...

If you're just looking for a reliable OS with fewer bugs and good driver support and the best fps in games and less DRM contamination then go with XP, at least for this year.
May 29, 2007 4:12:57 PM

Quote:
the question wasn't weather I thought it was better, the question was directed to all of youse so I could have feed back. And there may be others out there that are looking for answers to many questions this one question may answer.

You know, I was going through some of the topic's I replied to and found this on the topic of 'Overclocked CPU lifetime':

Quote:
I thought this was a forum to discuss hardware for computers. No disrespect guys, however I don't believe any of us want to read about your lovers spats. Sounds like you should both grow up. Oops, maybe this is Opra!!!!

Are you confused? If you want to talk about system OS, go to the software section:

Home -> Software -> General Discussion
May 29, 2007 4:14:52 PM

Quote:

Come on guys, don't you know a joke when you read one? It's what makes the commercials so funny. Apple seems to actually believe this stuff, while most of the rest of us like to crack these jokes.
May 29, 2007 4:22:44 PM

Quote:

only because not many people use it, if more people used it, more people would right viruses and malware for it. :wink:

Quote:

Also xp and vista just don't work

Then why are people using them and not mac?? :roll:

Quote:
you gotta spend hours upon hours looking for drivers and installing your software and then updating the OS. I mean OS X just works no need to ever worry about drivers and all the software you need is preinstalled.

only because apple doesn't let many people make hardware for them, and exsternal hardware for the mac has to have drivers installed anyways, so you still have updates and drivers for them. And No, not all the software you need is installed from the factory. (Photoshop, ETC) :p 

Quote:
Its the very obvious choice that OS x will rock your world. Who has all the time todo updates and install drivers? I know you don't so just get what works.

Sounds, like an advertisement. :evil:  Look, I like APPLES, but I like to game on my computer too, so APPLE is out of the question. :cry: 

Edit: back to topic, Thank you aevm for this post, I have a copy of Vista upgrade, and have been debating on weather I could handle the performance loss if I upgrade to it from XP, the only major game I have right now that might give me problems is oblivion. But the others are right, Vista is probably not going to be good until it's SP1.
May 29, 2007 4:37:51 PM

Quote:

You know, I was going through some of the topic's I replied to and found this on the topic of 'Overclocked CPU lifetime':

Quote:
I thought this was a forum to discuss hardware for computers. No disrespect guys, however I don't believe any of us want to read about your lovers spats. Sounds like you should both grow up. Oops, maybe this is Opra!!!!

Are you confused? If you want to talk about system OS, go to the software section:

Home -> Software -> General Discussion

Actually, Yeah, I was confused. I appologize all over the place for not being familliar with the way to post posts in this form, for as you can see the date I joined was 2 days ago. So please, please find it in the bottom of you hardware to forgive someone like me that post posts in the wronf posting section. And as for the Lovers Spats, I trust you will inform them of your disappointment for arguing in the wrong post. Once again great one I apologize. To everyone else, hey shit happens. I trust all you will forgive me.. NOT
May 29, 2007 4:40:46 PM

i know im a newbi here, but at the moment XP is way much better, specially with the current hardware. but if u have new reg, then vista is alright. the best thing is, wait couple of monthes, let them make vista more stable n as they said, (some SPs) to come out. n go ahead. it should be as good as anything.

after all, we all know, the softwares eventually gonna evolve to vista, as they did to xp in 2001+.
May 29, 2007 4:52:56 PM

I have Vista and I haven't had any problems, that I couldn't deal with, that makes me believe someone has to wait till SP 1 comes out before buying and installing it.

I was in that camp, guess it is the geek in us and knowing MS doesn't do much right the first time, but I can honestly say that this time it seems to be different or maybe just my experience.

I haven't had to search hours for drivers. If you know your gear, then you know EXACTLY where to go to get the drivers for it. I still use some XP 64bit drivers, because they work and because people like Okidata won't upgrade personal printer drivers till they have updated all their business drivers. Last time I buy one of their color laser printers, because of their lack of support, it isn't MS's fault.

Now I am only talking about Vista 64bit. I got XP 64bit after it came out and I ran into A LOT of missing driver support, took upwards to a year to get good drivers for some things, and that was waiting almost 6 months after it came out before I even bought it, then another couple of months before I decided it was time to install it.

Vista 64 isn't bad, and I don't lose many FPS because of the upgrade, and yes I do like all the luxuries, gui enhancements and such, that is provides.

I still have my 64bit XP and if I need I can always reformat and reinstall, doesn't take long.

As for OS-X, well if memory serves me correctly, wasn't OS X infected with a virus shortly after it came out? I am sure that has been fixed, but I believe the virii maker was making the point, even Apples computers are not invulnerable to virii if someone just wanted to make one for it, but honestly how much more pain are you putting a Mac fanatic into that they aren't already in by owning an Apple product?? :lol:  just kidding you apple fanbois :) 

Also the driver support for Apple is pretty simple considering you gotta buy what you want from Apple. You can't pick and chose which MB you want, which RAM, HD, though I gotta admit I do love their Cinema Displays :)  So looking for drivers is just running to Apples site and getting them. I do remember when Apple opened up their computers to 3rd party vendors, was the worst 6 months of Apples life. They lost sooo much money they pretty quickly ended the 3rd party hardware, and went back to properietary arch. Guess they found out they are not going to sell to many Apples at 2k a piece when someone else is willing to piece one together and sell it plus the keyboard/mouse/speakers for 1k. Apple sure did lose a lot of money during that period. :) 
May 29, 2007 5:07:47 PM

The best rule of thumb that I have followed since Windows NT4 is, never upgrade to a newer Microsoft O/S until the release of its first service pack.

Let everyone else figure out the bugs and give the hardware vendors ample time to develop mature drivers.

At this point (IMHO), the only reason to go to Vista is DX10. Are there any DX10 games released yet? None that I'm aware of, and only a couple in the wings.
May 29, 2007 5:09:42 PM

off the subject but I got my 3800 manchester @ 2.4 1.29 vcore 8)
a b à CPUs
May 29, 2007 5:18:43 PM

Ummm, congratulations, I guess?? Wouldn't it be simpler and more productive to replace that CPU with something more recent, for $60 or whatever? :lol:  :lol: 
May 29, 2007 5:21:41 PM

Ive had ultimate for bout 6 months and just recently moved back over to XP just (and this is the sole reason) because Vista is a resource hog and games run terrible on it. It was my primary OS for those 6 months, it is a great OS for everything but gaming. I love it but have almost entirely moved back to XP.
May 29, 2007 5:27:01 PM

Dude, almost all of the AMDs can overclock to 2.4.
a 3800, thats the 1.8GHZ right? or is it the 2.4? Neways. Its such an easy overclock to do, dont even need to up the vCore. Just change the mem divider, up the HTT clock, and reduce the HTT multiplier. Cant remember the numbers right now. I have taken my 4600+ to around 2.6GHz (only 200MHZ oC) but it runs unstable due to motherboard issues (it doest like high vCores)
May 29, 2007 6:05:04 PM

Quote:
Ive had ultimate for bout 6 months and just recently moved back over to XP just (and this is the sole reason) because Vista is a resource hog and games run terrible on it. It was my primary OS for those 6 months, it is a great OS for everything but gaming. I love it but have almost entirely moved back to XP.

It is even worst with Vista 64. M$ is the root of all evil for brining in this digital driver signing stuff. I hate it. I've only had Vista 64 for a few days, and I've already installed XP for a dual boot. I kind of expected that would be the case actually.

Vista is nice and purty and stuff, and it does most of the things you need it to do, but it just isn't very good for gaming with existing games right now. I am going to play my current games on XP.

Scubageek, I see you have Vista 64, have you had any luck with games? (Particularily with Gothic 3?)
May 29, 2007 6:08:51 PM

Quote:
Ive had ultimate for bout 6 months and just recently moved back over to XP just (and this is the sole reason) because Vista is a resource hog and games run terrible on it. It was my primary OS for those 6 months, it is a great OS for everything but gaming.

I am finding the exact opposite. Gaming in Vista is faster for me than XP Pro. So far I am loving Vista to the point I am actually considering formatting my XP partition to free up some space.
a b à CPUs
May 29, 2007 6:31:17 PM

If you have a low end or older computer, XP is better.
Vista is for high end computers.
Vista will slow down your computer.
But again it is better to let Microsoft finish the job properly...a year after beginning to sell the software. I wish they could get it right the first time.
May 29, 2007 6:31:35 PM

Quote:

I challenge you to read the first post again. Then, once that amazingly hard task is done, I challenge you to locate where OS X is listed.
...man, I hate internet trolls.

Ok, back on topic. I say that for now, XP is better... I wouldn't adopt Vista until SP1, for all the reasons that m25 already listed.

I challenge him/her to use spell checking.
May 29, 2007 6:35:06 PM

Quote:
And i think we'll see a SP3 soon, to finish the job on XP.

I heard that MS announced that it will be out in 2008.
May 29, 2007 6:51:21 PM

Quote:

this is Ssoulrunner and I did not write "and i think we'll see SP3 soon, to finish the job on XP." :roll:
May 29, 2007 6:52:50 PM

Quote:
If you're know enough about Windows, you know exactly all you need to do to protect yourself. Apple does not have a product for me; I cannot run OS X on my own homebuild machines, and gaming on a Mac is a total joke. Maybe I'd use their OS if they didn't refuse to allow open hardware support, and had game support as well.
May 29, 2007 7:04:25 PM

Quote:
Actually, Yeah, I was confused. I appologize all over the place for not being familliar with the way to post posts in this form, for as you can see the date I joined was 2 days ago. So please, please find it in the bottom of you hardware to forgive someone like me that post posts in the wronf posting section. And as for the Lovers Spats, I trust you will inform them of your disappointment for arguing in the wrong post. Once again great one I apologize. To everyone else, hey **** happens. I trust all you will forgive me.. NOT

Doesn't matter to me if you joined a few days ago, or decided to open another account under a different name. You seem familiar in making your text red, and getting attention.

As far as lover spats, I never labeled anyone anything. I didn't even call you a noob, and only provided a suggestion.

And after the comment of forgiveness, I guess your just out looking for trouble, and seemed mentally disturbed...

Anyhoo... have fun pissing people off.
a c 99 à CPUs
May 29, 2007 7:26:07 PM

The best Windows OS in my opinion is Windows 2000. It has less bloat than Windows XP or Vista and can run all of the same programs*. It also has no ridiculous and PITA activation or validation like XP or Vista. This means that you can upgrade your box or reinstall at will and without permission from Microsoft. The only downside to Windows 2000 is that there is no 64-bit version, but currently no 64-bit Windows version is even close to being a replacement for a 32-bit Windows (lack of programs and drivers.)

*There are some programs that will not run on Windows 2000, such as Office 2007, but those programs don't require something that Win2K doesn't have. The reason they don't run is that MS or the vendor doesn't want them to so that the user will downgrade to a newer version of Windows. This has been proven in the fact that many of the XP-only apps have been cracked to work on 2000.

Windows XP is a better OS that Vista because it's less bloated than Vista is and has less DRM. It's still a bloated OS with DRM and activation bullcrap in it, but there's less of it. Comparing XP to Vista is simply like asking which crap smells less worse. At the end of the day, it's still crap. I'd recommend that you use Windows 2000, Linux, BSD, or Solaris.

EDIT: Leave it up to Tom's nanny content filters to ruin a good saying- it didn't originally say "crap." Grumble, grumble.
May 29, 2007 7:30:40 PM

Best OS is Vista
May 29, 2007 7:55:02 PM

I've been running Vista for a few months. So far, I haven't really had any issues with any drivers or anything of that sort. IMHO, it feels more stable than XP. But stability can only be determine by the type of user. I game on my machine, which is top notch.... just not in Vista. But that's due to drivers. Majority of my games don't have issues. The only game that gives me issues is F.E.A.R. from time to time. I'll get 30-60 fps and than after 10 minutes, you'll drop down to 10. Other games like BF2142, Far Cry, WoW, and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. run just fine on my computer. The other thing that affects my gaming is the fact that I game on a widescreen monitor.

Other than that, I really don't know any software that I use or need that does not work under Vista.

If anything, i just wished that the graphics drivers were better optimized, but oh well.

If you game, stick with XP. Otherwise, Vista isn't that bad.

To others, this is my opinion

*senses flames around him*
BRING IT! :twisted:
May 29, 2007 8:08:05 PM

Quote:

this is Ssoulrunner and I did not write "and i think we'll see SP3 soon, to finish the job on XP." :roll:

Sorry, I just searched for sp3 and did a quote on the post that came up.
a b à CPUs
May 29, 2007 8:10:08 PM

I have Vista Enterprise and XP sp2 on dual-boot. I much prefer to use and look at Vista. I was simply ready for a change. Some games I have seem to prefer XP so I fire up XP for them.

Of course I am tech savy so I can deal eith the odd bug and I also have a brand new PC with plenty of horsepower for Vista. My home system is also not a critical system. If I were running a business on multiple PCs I would hang on to XP for a year or longer.

BTW Vista seems to snap about more quickly than XP for me. And seems stabler, more tolerant. I'm glad I switched over and have very few complaints.
!