Sign in with
Your question

Fixing an unstable OC: Only one solution?

Last response: in Overclocking
May 29, 2007 3:42:18 PM

I recently discovered the world of OCing forums and purchased a new computer. I've mucked about a bit and managed to get my E6420 upto 3.2ghz however I need 1.5/1.47v (idle/load cpuz) to get this baby stable, when others are reporting 3.6ghz on fewer volts. I needed a similar amount of volts whether I approach 3.2ghz under a 8x or 7x multiplier.

As I encountered stability problems that I knew were non-RAM based my approach was bump up Vcore which, after adding more volts (1.53 bios) than I'm comfortable with 24/7, led to an 8hr orthos stable OC profile.

so my question. Given that there are a lot of other chipset/NB/SB/FSBterm/BIOS options that also affect stability, is bumping up the Vcore the ONLY way to fix stability issues, or are there alternate ways to deal with an unstable CPU in addition to cranking Vcore? Basically, do you think I could get this rig stable at lower Vcore with the right BIOS tweaks?

My deets are:
E6420 L644G452 (may be a bad batch)
P5b-deluxe
HyperX PC2-7200
Noctua UF-12
temps are great, at 1.5v fully loaded ~63Tcase 51 Tjct
OC profiles 450x7 and 400x8
June 7, 2007 8:59:47 AM

YIKES! Those voltages are scary! I don't have any experience with that MB, but on my board I overvolted the FSB and NB +.1, try that out too. I wouldn't run the chip with those voltages for too long, not if you want this computer for the next few years. Incidently, I have an E4300 at 3.2 (405x8) with 1.395v, so that does seem very high.
!