Zalman VF900-Cu LED...is it worth it?

andytg7

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the VF900-Cu LED VGA cooler? Or any other VGA cooler for that matter? Is it worth it?

I have an ASUS X1900XTX graphics card. The stock cooler that comes with it does it's job well, but I'm always looking to improve.

(1)The stock cooler runs quiet when my card is idle. But when I start playing a game or get to parts within games that are heavy on graphics, it gets a good buzz noise going. So getting a cooling that will have a lower noise level while gaming would be nice.

(2)I'm not complaining about how hot my card gets. It's nothing compared to my last system. However, one of the biggest sources of heat, if not the biggest, in my system is the graphics card. The stock cooler does a good job in venting the heat out of the back of my case through a second pci card slot that my graphics card takes up.
See image: http://compumaster.be/images/X1900XTX.jpg
However, if a VGA cooler will effectively help it to run cooler, I'm all for it.

My only concern is using a cooler like the VF900-Cu LED, which is not encased and directed to vent out the rear of the case, going to make a good difference in terms of cooling? Or is it just going to cool my card slightly and heat up my case some more?

Any information regarding the VF900-Cu LED and any other opinions/recommendations are welcomed. :)

Thanks,
Andy

dokk

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
Take a gander at the Vantec6 pro,it exhausts the heat out the back of your case,mine has dropped the GPU's temp by nearly 20f from 120f...:))

andytg7

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
Do you know of any reviews or sites that compare the vantec 6 with the VF900-Cu? Or that test the performance of the vantec 6 on the x1900xtx? (cooling and noise tests)

I've tried looking and I can't find much. I found some reviews of it working with the 7900 series, but nothing ATI.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'm definitely interested. I just want to compare the performance.

Or is it just going to cool my card slightly and heat up my case some more?

Correct. See quote (or link) below.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/zalman_vf900-cu/page7.asp

The Zalman VF900 won’t help your case temps; it actually does the opposite. However if you’re looking for a cooler to silence your existing graphics card while running cooler to boot the Zalman VF900 would certainly be a good choice.

I couldn't find a review for Vantec 6...

andytg7

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
Thank you very much aevm for the info. That review you linked was the one I was looking for from the beginning, but couldn't find.

I found some information on the vantec 6, but not enough to justify getting it, let alone pick it over the VF900-Cu. I couldn't find any good reviews on it.

I guess now that I have the facts, my only question is for advice/opinion. What would you do?

Would you get the VF900-Cu knowing that it will better cool your VGA and run much quieter than your stock cooler, yet at the same time it will raise your case temperature?

When it comes to case cooling, I have one 120mm fan at the front blowing in. One 120mm fan at the back blowing out. And one 90mm on the side panel blowing in. I assume the air flow is good, because I've never had a problem with case temperature in the past. Knowing that, would the rise from the switch in VGA coolers be cause for concern, let alone noticeable?

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
I own a VF900 and it does a great job of keeping my GF7600GT cool, but it's not a super hot card. I have the factory overclocked model (580) and I have overclocked it further to 630 and I have been staying under 60c under load (and this is with current weather which is somewhat hot lately in Oregon and I don't use AC). But, as I mentioned, the 7600 isn't an insanely hot card. :D

That being said, I would go with a Thermalright HR-03 based on what I've read:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/11/14/thermalrights_the_hr-03_is_a_vga_cooler_gorilla/

As you can see it blasts the VF900 when used with a hotter card.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Just one more thing I needed to add in there: installation of the VF900 is so bloody easy it's insane. They even have big thumb screws so you don't have to use a screwdriver. Great stuff!

Also, the VF900 really is a quiet solution. Even with the fan on max it doesn't make enough noise for me to hear it over my PSU fan unless I put my ear up next to it.

andytg7

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
mpilchfamily and dean7, how were your case temperatures affected by the switch from your stock coolers to the VF900?

That's mainly the only other thing I'm curious about, since my x1900xtx stock cooler vents the heat out the back of the case. Where if I switch to the VF900, the heat will be vented around in the case.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
I didn't notice any decrease in cooling or anything, but I didn't monitor case temp before and after unfortunately. But, I believe mpilch is correct. :D

andytg7

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
Thank you both for your helpful posts. :)

Thanks to you guys, I think I found out everything I wanted to know.

I really appreciate it.

Now, I'm off to get myself a VGA cooler.

Take care!