Cooling ideas for Sonata III and E6600 - first build/OC

bgstewar

Distinguished
May 16, 2007
Hey guys-

This is my first build, and my first overclock. Sonata III case with a rear 120 mm fan, option for another in the front (intake I assume). Getting an E6600, Gigabyte DS4 SLI mobo, 2 gig RAM, 7900GS GPU, 550 W Antec Earthwatts PSU.

Any advice on a case fan and cooling ideas (cheap)? Admittedly I don't know much about cooling, and don't know what I REALLY need to do a mild overclock. Is a new heatsink/fan necessary for the E6600 or can stock be ok? TIA for any advice!

Stock is ok for a mild OC. If you do the OC and find that the fan on the HSF is getting too loud for your taste, then consider an aftermarket HSF. You can stick with the stock Antec fans. Set them on low and if your temps get too high, then you can kick them up to med. If you want to replace them fans, then I would recommend something like the Yate Loon D12SL-12 fans.

gloppppp

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
:arrow:I have same case,get another 120mm for the front,stock Intel is ok for E6600,it runs nice and cool,mild overclock is fine.

Willie1961

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
The ANTEC Earthwatts that comes with the Sonata III is only rated at 500w (not 550w).

I am presently throwing together a similar system.

I got a silent video card though (with a large heatsink). Also I got a Artic Freezer 7 CPU cooler.

I will see how my temps go, I may get a front fan.

I am shooting for a 3.2 to 3.6 overclock (It will probably be more towards 3.2).

Good luck!!!

ss_blake

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
I too am planning a similar system - the Sonata III is an excellent solution combining silence and asthetics. It isnt as fancy as the P182, but I am tired of huge towers with extra space and drive bays I never use.

For OC the CPU I am thinking the Thermalright HR-01 with fan duct - better cooling than most HS WITH fans. This unit uses a fan duct which attaches to the rear 120mm case fan, so no added noise and phenomenal cooling. Thermalright HR-01

I plan to replace the rear antec tricool fan with a Noctua NF-S12 120mm fan and add a second Noctua for front intake. This is the highest ratest fan for performance and quietness(Silent PC Fan Review).

Havent decided what to do with the evga 8800 GTS.. I dont think I will overclock it, so I will probably leave the stock cooling system (hopefully it is quiet)?