krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
Hey everyone,

This is what I have:

Linksys WRT150N router
Dell Notebook with Intel AGN adapter
Desktop with Encore USB Wireless N adapter

On G-only mode, both adapters get about 6Mbps download speed.

On Mixed or N-only, the laptop gets about 9Mbps download but the Encore USB goes down to 3Mbps.

Why would switching to N create almost twice as much bandwidth for my laptop and cut the bandwidth in half for my desktop? I'd like to keep it on N for transferring files between computers but I don't want to take such a big hit on the internet on my desktop. YES it makes a difference. I tried downloading nVidia drivers and the laptop downloads around 500Kps while the desktop downloads around 150kps. Switch back to G-only and they both download the file around 250kps.

FYI: I bought the Encore USB N adapter because Newegg had a deal on Black Friday for $20 and free shipping.

Could it be a driver issue on the USB?

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
wait, what? you mean set the network up as N-only? I've done that and I get the same results as "Mixed". I just don't understand why switching to "mixed" or "n-only" from G benefits my laptop N adapter but cripples my desktop N adapter. Do some adapters just play more nicely with different routers?

brw02005

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
Sorry for misunderstanding your question Draft N is kinda a user beta test. Is it a draft N 2.0 router and network card? I try to keep everything the same chipset to eliminate problems like this. Your router is linksys so that is probably a broadcom chipset your dell is intel and encore usually uses atheros chipsets. Some of your chipsets were also made at different times during the draft n too. It's a pain but you really have to do your homework to make this **** work. Also make sure your using WPA2 encryption. WPA and WEP will slow them down. The sure bet is to look up the adapters linksys pairs with your router they are more expensive but will always work together well.

For my stuff I stay all atheros so I usually buy d-link, encore, zyxel, or apple. Just look up what chipsets are in what your buying.

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
good to know, and, thanks. I couldn't pass up the Encore N adapter. $20? It actually works better on G than my Netgear WG111 usb adapter did. I was just hoping to get better results with the N. It's odd. I got great speeds with both last night before bed (8Mbps+) but today it's back to the same bizarre stuff. I'm using WPA2 security. Found out about that a while ago. All 3 are N 2.0 spec (firmware updates) so I guess it just comes down to the chipsets. I'm not gonna stress it too much. At least I'm getting better G out of my $20. Who knows? Maybe a new driver/firmware update will improve things. Thanks mate!

brw02005

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
Hmm might want to use other channels like 1 or 11 if your neighbor is interfering with you. Typically you either get good throughput or no and it doesn't change without interference.