FLOGGING A DEAD HORSE!!!!

jlsd1972

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
Could some one please give me a answer to this question.

The X1950 PRO is similar to the X1900 GT, the main difference being that it is not based on the X1900 XT, but a whole new and less power-hungry core. The card's main competition is the 7900 GS, which it beats in almost every benchmark. But the 7900 GS isn't available in AGP flavor, which makes the X1950 PRO the fastest AGP card available*

*The Gainward BLISS+ 7800 GS, which actually have 7900 GT and 7900GS GPUs, are also fast AGP cards on par with the X1950 PRO. These are far more expensive and can only be purchased in Europe, however.

which one is faster???

I have the Gainward bliss+ and indeed it is a 7900 on a agp card, but reading the spec sheet for the X1950 pro this should be faster, is this true or am i talking out my nose.

the reason i ask is i want to play, stalker with everthing turned up to the max, (and before you say i need to up grade my whole pc. I KNOW)

my specs are pentium p4 at 3.4ghz 1mb cache
Gainward bliss+ 512mb 7800+
2.0 gig cosair xl 2.2.2.5
250gig hard drive diamond max 10
and windows xp.
msi 875 neo motherboard

thank you :roll: :roll: :roll:

cleeve

Illustrious
Gainward has made things more complex because the new Bliss+ is 20 pipelines (a 7900 GS) and the old bliss was 24 pipelines (a 7900 GT).

The X1950 PRO is generally stronger than the 20-pipe 7900 GS, but is generally weaker than the 24-pipe 7900 GT.

Basically, find out if ther Bliss you want to buy is the old 24-pipe or new 20-pipe version, then find stalker benches comparing the X1950 PRO vs a 7900 GS and 7900 GT, and go from there...

...in any case, STALKER is almost impossible to play at max settings (dynamic shadows) with ANY videocard setup. Even an X1950 XT AGP (the best AGP card available) might not take you there...

Farhang

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2007
...in any case, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is almost impossible to play at max settings (dynamic shadows) with ANY videocard setup.
WHAAAAAAAAAAT? 8O
Damn man, i didn't expect this at least from a high-end-pro guy you!
I play the damn game with Full-Dynamic-Lighting at 1600x1200 with every single detail to max(except AA as the game doesn't support it) & my average FPS is 30~45(min=25,Max=80).
I can send some screen shot if you wish my friend!

jlsd1972

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
thanks for the very fast answers guys, looking from your answers i think i have bottomed out as the card i have is the 24pipeline version, looks like i will have to spend £2500 now on a new specced system. damm the bank managers not gooing to be happy.

seriously thanks youve saved me spending more money. :roll: :roll:

Don't expect much improvevement from the HD2600, it's going to be the non-Xt version in AGP, which means that it will preform at or below the level of the card you currently have. It will add some features, but raw performance, especially in a game like Stalker will not be as good, and for DX10 games it will only be acceptable as a go forward card. This may be the tipping point for you with regards to upgrades, because while technically you could go higher with the rare X1900XT in AGP, it's not going to make a difference, and the same will be true of the AGP HD2K series, other than adding what amounts to low-option DX10 effects on those 600 series cards. IMO better off with a GTS-320 or 640 and a new PCIe setup. Or actually by the time some AGP DX10 cards would come out likely you'll be facing appealing refreshes or new model from AMD and nV, so an HD2900XL or GF8800GTS refresh may be the way to go by that time frame anyway.

Consider all the options carefuly because while some upgrade paths are attactive on the surface, you may find the end results aren't worth considering simply to stay with AGP.

There are compeling reasons for new AGP cards, but if your upgrade point is a GF7900GT equipped GTS likely the only thing to offer improved performance or value would be an X1900XT and it's not worth the money as an upgrade, only as a swap out for the difference, so I can't see you upgrading from where you are without a complete overhaul.

PS, the bold is a little unnecessary, you had it engaged there for a while, glad you caught it, made you look like a senior driving down the road with the blinker on though. :tongue:

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
...in any case, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is almost impossible to play at max settings (dynamic shadows) with ANY videocard setup.
WHAAAAAAAAAAT? 8O
Damn man, i didn't expect this at least from a high-end-pro guy you!
I play the damn game with Full-Dynamic-Lighting at 1600x1200 with every single detail to max(except AA as the game doesn't support it) & my average FPS is 30~45(min=25,Max=80).
I can send some screen shot if you wish my friend!

ill take some screenshots.... my new GF7600GT seems to put out pretty good graphics in F.E.A.R., id love to see what a GTS could do in S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
PS, the bold is a little unnecessary, you had it engaged there for a while, glad you caught it, made you look like a senior driving down the road with the blinker on though. :tongue:
That is the best dang analogy I've heard in a while. :lol: :lol:

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
This is off-topic, but I don't mind thread-jacking. ;)

Is S.T.A.L.K.E.R any good? I have read such mixed reviews I haven't even bothered trying it. But, the story line sounds interesting enough.

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
This is off-topic, but I don't mind thread-jacking. ;)

Is S.T.A.L.K.E.R any good? I have read such mixed reviews I haven't even bothered trying it. But, the story line sounds interesting enough.

i remember reading about it 4 years ago in PC Gamer.... back then I had a Nvidia GeForce Go4... 64mb.. in a Dell Inspiron 8200....

I played BF1942 and MOH Allied Assault... oh and C&C Generals....

BF1942 was a Freakin slideshow... literally, I couldnt fly planes.... it was sad...

Stalker looked cool then.... four years later I was wondering what happened to it... I thought it came out then, I just never heard if it was good or anything... then I heard the sad sad news that it hadnt come out yet, but they were thinking about it... damn its almost as bad as Duke nukem Forever... or is that the title?

jlsd1972

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
thanks for the photos of stalker they do look good dont they!!!

i can get my hands on a gecube x1950xt for £139 would this be a better upgrade than the h2400 and the h2600 cards soon to arrive??? :lol: :lol:

Farhang

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2007
Is S.T.A.L.K.E.R. any good? I have read such mixed reviews I haven't even bothered trying it. But, the story line sounds interesting enough.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is an awesome in my opinion! 8)
The game (stuck) is has lots of bug & poor Graphic/Performance ratio but with the patches & some mini mod(better graphic+better performance), i believe you are going to miss one awesome FPS if you don't wish to play it!
Here is the link for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. patches and modes!
The game is a some kinda a mix of FarCry,DOOM 3 & Half-Life2.
Now, time for a
67s261f.gif

11AcidReign11

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Hey dudes. Nice thread. Currently running old AMD Athlon XP 3200+ @2.2ghz with a now measly BFG 7600 GS OC 512mb, getting bad bad bad monkey brain gut spewing hard drive crunching slideshow in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. at max details 1600x1200, noAA. Am getting an X 1950 XT on Monday. Will let you know what difference it's made.

:D :!: