ADSL Wireless Networking?

Confused_Andy

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007
Hi im new.

I getting a new laptop soon and its got a built in wireless card.
What i have at the moment is just this computer (tiny something) which connects to a Tiscali Speedtouch DSL Modem.
That then goes into the USB port.

sagems300.gif

1.Is there a router that i can get which has a USB port for the modem to plug into?
Or.
2.A Router which will replace the modem completely?
Will 2 not work because of MAC addresses and tiscali wont allow different hardware on their connections?

I was thinking of getting this:
http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Netgear-Wireless-Firewall-Router-WGT624/version.asp

But would it be better to get a router via tiscali which i think replaces the modem.

Please Help

Cheers

MarkG

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004
That router is apparently for cable, not DSL. If Tiscali will sell you a router that's guaranteed to work on their DSL system, it may be worth going for that so long as it's not hugely expensive... it should just work and if it doesn't they'll have to figure out why.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
That router should work with either DSL or Cable. If your modem uses can use a a lan cable to connect to the computer, then you should be able to just plug it into the router and set it up.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
That should work but something to think about. Couple of weeks ago there was a post from someone that had and integrated DSL modem/router and I believe it was the modem that died. Because of the way it was constructed couldn't use just the router. While it might cost you more if your ISP doesn't give you a fre modem, would be worth thinking about getting a separate modem with a CAT 5 connection and router. If one part heads south, you still have the other and in my experience routers last a long time, have replaced more modems than routers. Also if you have a problem, it's much easier to troubleshoot separate components than integrated.

gse1

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
Tiscali do not restrict what routers you can connect to your DSL connection so you can buy any old ADSL router and as long as it supports the connection type (which I would be surprised if it doesn't as long as you buy a known brand) it will work.

Personally I haver a Zyxel router connected to my Tiscali DSL connection. :)