Sign in with
Your question

Core 2 Duo running at 70C?!

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
May 29, 2007 8:18:14 PM

Just today, I installed the new Speedfan. I noticed it now registers temperatures for the two cores in Core 2 Duos, and both were up at 65C+, which struck me as abnormally high. Could it be that I haven't set the (stock) cooler properly on the mainboard?

System:
Asus P5W DH Deluxe
C2D E6600
2 GB Corsair Dominator RAM
Geforce 7950GT
Thermaltake Armor case

More about : core duo running 70c

May 29, 2007 8:31:49 PM

Errr.. Ummm, Speed fan even shows usually 15C lower temps.

I'd reseat the HSF ASAP. Be sure the 4 pins are going all the way through by looking at the back of the MB. (if your using the stock HSF)

I'd use Core Temp or TAT for the Tjuction temps (cores 0/1)
May 29, 2007 8:35:36 PM

Well the thing is, I'd never noticed a problem as previous versions of Speedfan always reported the temperature as 'CPU: 38C' or whatever. Using Core Temp, I get this:

Tjunction: 85C
Core#0: 63C
Core#1: 59C
Related resources
May 29, 2007 8:39:36 PM

If that's idle temps.. I'd recheck the HSF, and reapply the thermal grease properly.

I had my dad's E4300 OC to your stock speed, and if I remember correctly:

core 0 - 43C
core 1 - 44C

but the Tcase or other CPU temp was:

CPU - 23-26C
a b à CPUs
May 29, 2007 8:42:07 PM

Quote:
Just today, I installed the new Speedfan. I noticed it now registers temperatures for the two cores in Core 2 Duos, and both were up at 65C+, which struck me as abnormally high. Could it be that I haven't set the (stock) cooler properly on the mainboard?

System:
Asus P5W DH Deluxe
C2D E6600
2 GB Corsair Dominator RAM
Geforce 7950GT
Thermaltake Armor case

If you open your case and press down firmly and hold down your heatsink/fan flush against the CPU, your temps will probably drop sharply. Do what grimmy suggested and reseat the HSF ASAP.
May 29, 2007 8:43:48 PM

That wasn't idle temperature, I was playing WoW at the same time (so I guess one core maxed out). By re-seat, you mean take it off, apply new thermal paste and put it back on the motherboard again?
May 29, 2007 8:47:22 PM

Reseat - take the HSF off, clean off thermal grease on both the CPU and HSF. Then reapply the thermal grease, and put the HSF back on ensuring it is on properly.

But if those are load temps, that might be okay, but on the high side for some other reason perhaps.

What are your idle temps?
May 29, 2007 8:51:48 PM

A major contributing factor actually -- I checked the Nvidia control panel for the card's temperature, and it's running at 60C idle which again, seems oddly high to me. Considering the card is just below the processor, the heat radiating up might be being caught into the processor's fan.

Temperatures at idle:
Tjunction 85C
Core#0 53C
Core#1 48C

With the Nvidia card idling at 57C right now.
May 29, 2007 8:55:58 PM

Dude, the temps difference story between apps is old news. Make sure you get Intels Thermal Analysis Tool. Thats the most accurate. Run load on both cores using the program, and see what your temps are. You can export the details to a Excel file for analysis.

Check my sig, 70 load is pushing it but not the end of the world.

Speedfan under-records temps, so I think yours is probably WAY too high (maybe in the low-70s). The chip cuts out at 75.

You need to reseat the HS. Get some actic silver 5. Honestly, the Thermalright Ultra Extreme is the way forward (not sure, maybe $50). Then OC that baby. You cant go wrong.

Good luck.
May 29, 2007 9:00:49 PM

Heh... dewd... a game should not run the CPU as hot as TAT. I believe TAT is to really test the CPU's thermal limits. I don't even think it really tests for any hardware errors like prime95 or orthos.

For example, with Prime95 I get higher temps, then running a game, even though it registers 100 percent CPU usage.

This is based on a P4, but same principle in what I'm trying to say:

Prime95 load temp - 55-57C

Quake 4 load temp - 52C

Though, I don't play WoW, but I would imagine the CPU really shouldn't run that hot.
May 29, 2007 9:06:46 PM

Taking into account the fact the graphics card is hot enough to make Satan say 'my word, it's warm in here, can someone open a window?' as well as the possibly wrongly-seated heatsink, no wonder it's getting hot. Running that TAT with one core maxed out (the usual scenario -- it's rare for both cores to be at 100%) temperatures are in the mid-60s.

I'll have to sort out a new super-elite fan, I just hate the hassle of having to take the motherboard out, etc. As for a stop gap solution, there's always the ghetto favourite, taking the side panel off and putting a household fan to point at the components.
May 29, 2007 9:19:42 PM

Using the highly scientific method of putting a fan in place of the case, the processor is now running at mid-40C. Thank you, modern science!
May 29, 2007 9:21:30 PM

I can understand it can be a pain to take everything apart, especially when you do all that work, and find the temps to be the same.

The 4 pin HS setup really sucks IMHO. I remember that part was where I spent the most time in putting it together, making sure I saw the 4 pins on the other side. :lol: 

But I guess the things to watch out on, is if the game starts to studder or get choppy, which may indicate the CPU is throttling back. If your PC does shut down without warning, it hit the thermal trip, which should be around 85C.

On a side note about the graphics card, it can increase the temp, but if you for some reason don't have good air flow, (with that case, you shouldn't) that would affect cooling for the CPU itself. It would be caught in a loop hole of trying to cool off with heated air. Also room temps would be the major factor.
May 29, 2007 9:27:41 PM

Well I've had this PC since last November-ish, and I've only recently noticed WoW can sometimes get a little juddery (which would make sense as summer is hotter obviously). I remember I didn't set the headsink right at all, first time round, so the PC would crash after like...ten seconds. How hard is it to remove the pins again? I was afraid of the motherboard snapping from putting them into it the first time round.
May 29, 2007 9:32:26 PM

Quote:
Heh... dewd... a game should not run the CPU as hot as TAT. I believe TAT is to really test the CPU's thermal limits. I don't even think it really tests for any hardware errors like prime95 or orthos.

For example, with Prime95 I get higher temps, then running a game, even though it registers 100 percent CPU usage.

This is based on a P4, but same principle in what I'm trying to say:

Prime95 load temp - 55-57C

Quake 4 load temp - 52C

Though, I don't play WoW, but I would imagine the CPU really shouldn't run that hot.

I really agree. I've logged to Excel results over a period of hours, and the temps average in the low 60s when I'm hammering away at games and running a virus scan. You can easily sort according to value to find the max temp, and mine sometimes topped out at 73/74. It does spike to that high as some stages.

Must say, over time my AS5 kicked in and the temps dropped around 5-7, with a 5C drop instantly when I changed the stock thermal paste. That stuff is really good.

Burn baby burn!
May 29, 2007 9:44:24 PM

Also a very good point. Do you know what the estimated lifespan is for a E6600 running in the 60-70s at load?

I think by the time this chip fails, I will be ready to upgrade anyway. If I can get 2-3 years out of it, I'll be happy. As long as it doesnt go before that and/or takes my mobo with it, it will be fine. Im sure other hardware nut jobs will agree.
May 29, 2007 10:30:44 PM

My C2D was running 80c+ on stock HSF because of poor ventilation in my desk. Then I got a new HSF and made some adjustments to my desk and added a 120mm exhaust in the back and now I get about 55c under load at 2.8ghz
May 29, 2007 10:51:45 PM

I wouldn't worry too much unless that's at stock speed which would suggest something may be wrong with your cooling setup. I am running C2D at 3.3GHz & 1.38V and get about the same temps as you. OK, I have turned all my fans down as the PC is in my bedroom; so inside the case it’s about 30°C. It’s been stable 24/7 with 2 copies of Folding@Home for about a 3/4year.

As a side note, there seems to be a lot of confusion on these forums about Tcase etc. For C2D Tjunction = 85°C (Die digital thermal sensor reference and also the throttle target temp) and Tcase = 60°C. However, Tcase is meaningless unless you want to start drilling holes in the top of your heat-spreader and soldering thermocouples to it. The motherboard utilities usually report the temperature of the old on-die thermal diode; however, they often mistakenly refer to it at Tcase. When I forced my CPU temp higher by decreasing the fan speed (because I could) TAT didn't even show throttling kicking in till about 83°C. Intel’s own documentation for the Core based Xeons suggest the fan controller on the motherboard should aim for a target of 5°C below the Tjunction, i.e. 80°C! That way the fans don't spin up until there is a risk of throttling (which lowers performance) and if Intel doesn’t see a problem with it then I don't see why we should. Admittedly, I am over-clocking but 3.3GHz is only 10% higher than the extreme edition so I am personnally not too worried by electro-migration. In any case, by the time this chip could be expected to fail I will have probably shoved it into the attic.

As far as speedfan is concerned, the new version probably just started using the correct Tjunction reference value to calculate the temperature, the old one definitely under read.

Hope this saves some sleepless nights :lol: 
May 30, 2007 3:03:58 AM

Quote:
Taking into account the fact the graphics card is hot enough to make Satan say 'my word, it's warm in here, can someone open a window?' as well as the possibly wrongly-seated heatsink, no wonder it's getting hot. Running that TAT with one core maxed out (the usual scenario -- it's rare for both cores to be at 100%) temperatures are in the mid-60s.

I'll have to sort out a new super-elite fan, I just hate the hassle of having to take the motherboard out, etc. As for a stop gap solution, there's always the ghetto favourite, taking the side panel off and putting a household fan to point at the components.

Decided to show you the temps on my dad's system, running a game. In this case, the game is Cell Factor. I did run Quake 3 just for kicks, and it did run 50C/47-49C. But here's a screen cap on Cell Factor:

The video card I run on that system is a Asus 7300GT. It has no fan, and uses a big passive HS. You can see the the card is up there, 64C, but yet the CPU is just at 52C/54C. I guess that game may have dual support since both cores did have a load.

Also, the system doesn't use the stock HSF. Instead a clone (by Sunbeam) type of HS like the Arctic Freezer Pro. The room temp was around 76F.

Edit:

Side note, the game ran around 15 mins before the screen cap. And no, it doesn't have physX card. :lol:  . o O (FPS around 15-20 when nothing much happening on the screen)
!