Just Got My TR 120 Extreme (Convex and all)

bh626pro

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
Convex? Yes
I just got back from a local shop that has these in stock - they just rec'd a shipment from Thermalright yesterday. True to what everyone has said, the base is convex in one direction. I would surmise it is due to a manufacturing caused defect. Here's what it looks like;
ultra120x.jpg

Manufacturing
As an engineer, this is what I believe happens.
1. The base is machined flat by itself (looks nice)
2. The pipes are soldered into the grooves which run parallel to the green arrow in the picture.
3. A top plate is riveted to the bottom plate as indicated by the blue downwarding pointing arrow.
4. The force of the rivet operation bends the base plate along the red arrow/red line. This dimension is the weakest for the base plate as it has the grooves cut into it.

The high point of the convexity is in the center of the plate parallel to the pipe grooves (the contact point is over the core). I checked a few 120's and they all had the convexity; they were pretty much identical.

Installation Tip
The 120 does tend to move around. To eliminate that, I took a 1" long piece of 1/2" wide double sided foam tape and stuck it between the heatsink and the bracket (where the tip of the blue arrow is pointing in the pic). This stops any movement and also adds a bit of padding, which allows the bracket to be somewhat tighter. Just make sure to stick the bracket down on the center of the heatsink. Also, if your case is tight, put the fan clips in the fins first.

How does it perform?
My system - e6600 o/c to 3.0ghz, 1.35 Vcore, P5B-E, Scythe SFLex 1200 rpm.
PCFan measurements (CPU, Core1/Core2)
18C ambient

Stock heatsink
Idle_________24c, 32/31
TAT Load_____50c, 60/59

U120x
Idle_________18c, 25/24
TAT Load_____38c, 47/46

Conclusions
The 120 took 13C off my core temps using a near silent fan. My goal is a compromise between o/c performance and quietness. Once the TIM compound sets I may even see a few more degrees. Perhaps a lapped base would be better, but I cannot be bothered to do that since my TAT load temps are fine and are much more intense than any normal process I might run.

:?: Hmmm... I wonder what temp Anand's Far Cry River demo would run at?

Raviolissimo

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Appendix to ThermalRight manufacturing procedure -

fly-cut the base AFTER soldering.

this might expose some plating layers ... but it's not that hard to machine a metal surface flat. to machine the base after the whole thing has been assembled might require a specialized fixture.

oh well, maybe it's an opportunity for Noctua or Zalman.

bigblack

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
How does it perform?
My system - e6600 o/c to 3.0ghz, 1.35 Vcore, P5B-E, Scythe SFLex 1200 rpm.
PCFan measurements (CPU, Core1/Core2)
18C ambient
You will see much better temps if you lower your Vcore to 1.25. Most e6600s are able to do 3.0 Ghz even on 1.20-1.22V. You are looking at a temperature drop of about 6-10C! Test with Orthos of course after that...

bh626pro

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
You will see much better temps if you lower your Vcore to 1.25. Most e6600s are able to do 3.0 Ghz even on 1.20-1.22V. You are looking at a temperature drop of about 6-10C! Test with Orthos of course after that...

I wish that was true. If I lower my voltage the PC will hang up in Orthos. My chip is a L710, meaning it's pretty new. The ones from mid 2006 overclocked pretty well...

bigblack

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
I'm sorry to hear that. A friend just received his e6600 and we pushed it @3.2 on 1.275V. I guess he just got lucky and received an older part... You still have a great cpu, maybe a little hotter, but also a lot cheaper than the older models :)

erocker

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2006
I would lap it. However, it looks like the area that is convex is the area that makes contact with the two cores vertically. That would explain the very good temps you are getting! :D I deffinately agree with your assesment of the manufacturing defect. Obviously the holes drilled for the heatpipes in the base weaken it too much! I think an easy remedy for them would be to drill the holes across the grain of the aluminum and not with it.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Well said.

My 120 Extreme keeps my E4300 at 40c load @ 1.45vcore. It is amazing, of course I do have ducted cold air going to a 125CFM fan so that helps.

You are right the base was fairly convex, but I immediately lapped it so it wasn't a big deal.

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
I think a lot of C2D chips have a slightly concave IHS. I had an E4300 that was concave (didn't lapp it). I even have an AMD X2 4200+ that was concave (I did lapp it) So, the heatsink being convex in the middle probably doesn't hurt. It may even help. So lapping just the heatsink may not result in much improvement. Of course if you lapped both, you'd see the best results.