Sign in with
Your question

Vista start up issues (CD drive)

Last response: in Windows Vista
May 13, 2009 3:49:15 PM

Hi.

So after a LOT of bull@#~$ I finally got my new build PC to work (a slightly bent pin under the CPU ment that the triple memory RAAM didn't work).

The only real issues I have at the moment (that I can be bothered to sort right now) is with Vista loading.

I'm running Vista Home Premium 64bit. When I start my PC windows starts to load just fine but stops and will not start if there is a disk in the DVD drive. If I remove the disk Vista opens almost straight away. If I leave the disk in the DVD drive just keeps spinning up as if its trying to read the disk.

I don't know if this is a related to a setting in the BIOS or in Vista itself. I would appreciate any assitance that can be offered.
May 13, 2009 4:40:29 PM

once the system starts can the drive read a disk quickly or does it still hang?

Be sure the BIOS is set to boot from your hard drive first and not the DVD drive first.
m
l
May 13, 2009 7:27:01 PM

When you say "once the system starts...." do you mean once windows starts? If so once windows is loaded then yes I can read the disk. Windows does seem to be a bit slow though and the disc is a bit slow to be read as well (but that could be the difference between Vista and XP).

The boot priorities are set as; HDD, Floppy (don't even have one!) and then the DVD drive.
m
l
Related resources
May 13, 2009 9:22:22 PM

grandad1982 said:
When you say "once the system starts...." do you mean once windows starts? If so once windows is loaded then yes I can read the disk. Windows does seem to be a bit slow though and the disc is a bit slow to be read as well (but that could be the difference between Vista and XP).

The boot priorities are set as; HDD, Floppy (don't even have one!) and then the DVD drive.

All I can suggest is that Vista may have an issue with your particular DVD drive, either that or else it's something about that particular disk in the drive. If the system is hanging while ANY disk is the the drive then I would try another DVD drive. Once Windows has started there really shouldn't be a noticeable delay between Vista and XP. If you have one then it sounds like there is an issue with the drive itself, perhaps vis a vis Vista. But it's really hard to speculate. If you have another drive I would try that first before looking into other possibilities.
m
l
May 14, 2009 6:56:55 PM

Sadly I don't have an alternate drive to try.

Its not just one disk either. I did notice that it only seems to program disks though. When its a data disk it the drive it spins up like windows might not respond but then starts ok.

I guess I need to try another drive.
m
l
!