Comp Locks up when I open Nvidia Monitor

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Monitors
  • Nvidia
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 29, 2007 11:04:26 PM

Just got the 8800gts superclocked. Downloaded and installed the latest drivers and then went to get the nvidia monitor and nvidia control pannel. When I go to open any nvidia program my computer just locks up and i have to use the restet button.... Any ideas?

Thanks,
Anthony

More about : comp locks open nvidia monitor

May 29, 2007 11:07:03 PM

rest of your system specs please :) 
May 29, 2007 11:47:28 PM

Did you completely remove your previous drivers ?

Id unistall any video drivers you have then use something like drivecleaner pro to make sure they have been completely removed then reinstall the drivers.

This should at the very least elimenate driver conflict as a possible error I had this same problem once when I went from a 6600 to a 7600GT and this solution worked then.

P.S make sure you are installing the correct drivers sounds stupid but people have installed the wrong ones before.

Good luck
Related resources
May 30, 2007 3:02:47 AM

that happnd to me.. uninstall drivers, reboot into safe mode, drivercleaner clean older drivers, reboot n reinstall latest NVIDIA drivers
May 30, 2007 8:34:29 PM

Is drivercleaner free or not? I can only find if for 10$. I dont want to pay anything for this type of fix...
May 30, 2007 10:33:43 PM

i just ordered a GTS-320 myself. Everytime i buy a new vid card, (not many) ive just used the cd that comes with the card. should i not use it and install the drivers from internet? or those in the cd allready updated?

Ive seen that the drivers play an important role in terms of performance and i would want to get all i can from em :lol: 

oh well..
May 30, 2007 10:41:09 PM

The drives online are newer than those on the cd. By all means use the latest drivers that NVIDIA offers online.

As for my original problem that driver clearer program did the trick. Thanks!
May 30, 2007 10:41:44 PM

get the ones from the internet and your welcome :D 
May 31, 2007 3:59:08 AM

should i not use the cd at all then? so.. i just switch cards, uninstall the old drivers, and look for the new GTS-320 ones.

Where can i find these, btw?
May 31, 2007 4:22:05 AM

no worries its stupid that new driver versions dont uninstall old driver versions if you ask me.

But well you know life sucks.

have fun.
May 31, 2007 4:31:39 AM

Quote:
no worries its stupid that new driver versions dont uninstall old driver versions if you ask me.

But well you know life sucks.

have fun.

actually, yeah.. ill use the CD and then look for the new drivers.
!