cross18

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
So I installed SP2 on my old desktop because the wireless card i bought for it required it to work. After the install the computer worked fine for about a week and now it just sits asleep and wont wake up. When you restart it nothing comes up on the monitor the monitor will just say going to sleep and then stay black.

I could care less about how i get it to work i just want the pictures off of the hard drive then i dont need to use it at all. Ive pulled the battery out of the mb to reset it but that didnt do anything. Ive removed all the ram and reinstalled that and made sure everything is connected properly. Another old computer i installed sp2 on for the wireless card is doing the same thing so im not sure what went wrong. Ive hooked both up to another monitor and they do the same thing. So right now im confused on how to fix the issue, anyhelp to get the pics off of the hard drive would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

fishstick919

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
It could possibly be bad RAM or your processor or maybe even the motherboard...
If you can i suggest just taking the drive out of the computer and putting it into another one to get the data off of it.

cross18

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
I dont think its any of that because it happened to 2 different computers after i installed sp2 on them. They are completely different, but yet do the same exact thing now when starting up.

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
maybe this will work, go to start/control panel/ add remove programs/ remove SP2, install EFRC it's free, clean the registry and get the data off the computer, then reinstall SP2, FWIW XP without SP2 is really not a good idea, too easy to hack