Any thoughts on these TVs ?

Last response: in Home Theatre
January 15, 2005 11:42:01 PM

Hello all,

I have decided to bite the bullet and jump into the HDTV pool.
Can't wait.

I've been going to stores and checking out some TVs.
I have basically narrowed my selection down to 3 sets.

Mitsubishi WD-62725
Samsung HLP6163W
Sony KDF-55XS955

I like the pictures and input capabilities of these TVs.
I have been reading many reviews, with little to no negative data on any of
these TVs.
(but for .. I don't like the remote too much, type of remarks)

I guess most people changing over to HD are just blown away by the
difference. Its hard to find anything wrong.

Anyone have any opinions on any or all of these TVs ?
Anything would help greatly.

Thank you
Jon

More about : thoughts tvs

Anonymous
January 16, 2005 12:17:33 AM

"Jon Delano" <jd31068@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I have decided to bite the bullet and jump into the HDTV pool.
> Can't wait.
>
> I've been going to stores and checking out some TVs.
> I have basically narrowed my selection down to 3 sets.
>
> Mitsubishi WD-62725
> Samsung HLP6163W
> Sony KDF-55XS955

I would strongly suggest adding a fourth one, the JVC HD-61Z575. Same price
range, with a basic technology that in spite of being new and hence still
being shaken out, is the best available, IMO.
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 2:28:53 PM

And possibly dropping the second, due to reliability and service related
problems.
"Dave Gower" <davegow.removethis@magma.ca> wrote in message

> "Jon Delano" <jd31068@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I have decided to bite the bullet and jump into the HDTV pool.
>> Can't wait.
>>
>> I've been going to stores and checking out some TVs.
>> I have basically narrowed my selection down to 3 sets.
>>
>> Mitsubishi WD-62725
>> Samsung HLP6163W
>> Sony KDF-55XS955
>
> I would strongly suggest adding a fourth one, the JVC HD-61Z575. Same
> price range, with a basic technology that in spite of being new and hence
> still being shaken out, is the best available, IMO.

January 16, 2005 2:35:22 PM

"Art" <plotsligt@comcast.net> wrote in message
> And possibly dropping the second, due to reliability and service related
> problems.

Yes, the more I read the more negative comments I see about Sammy RPTV
products. That's kind of surprising, since right now I'm staring at a 10
year-old Samsung 17 inch CRT monitor that just refuses to quit. It was
photo-quality clear when I bought it and is still that way. Kind of annoying
actually, since I'd love to get one of those 19 or 21 inch LCD monitors but
can't justify discarding my old faithful friend.
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 2:58:39 PM

I bought a WD-62725 right before Christmas and the picture quality is
excellent BUT, and this is a big one: my set has a problem with the picture
being bowed, for lack of a better word, at the bottom 1/4 or so of the
screen. On movies you don't really notice it but for sports (ESPN
particularly because of the bottom line) or any program (or PS2 game or PC
screen) with a horizontal line near the bottom of the picture it's very
obvious and quite annoying. I paid more and bought from a local retailer,
HHGregg, so that I would be in better shape if something went wrong - bad
choice again! They've sent two techs out, they can't fix it with the
adjustments and now they're telling me that Mitsubishi is claiming it's
within spec, of course I've demanded to see that spec in writing but they
are just dicking me around at this point. So, given the way I've been
treated I would say stay away from the Mits. as they obviously think that
someone will accept a defect of nearly 1/2 inch out of level on a $4K dollar
television.

BTW - I've told the manager at HHGregg that if I don't have an answer from
them (that's acceptable to me) by Monday afternoon I'm bringing the set back
to their door along with a letter from an attorney informing them that I
will in no terms be paying for their bill. Then I'll go spend my money
elsewhere and on a different type of television!

"Jon Delano" <jd31068@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I have decided to bite the bullet and jump into the HDTV pool.
> Can't wait.
>
> I've been going to stores and checking out some TVs.
> I have basically narrowed my selection down to 3 sets.
>
> Mitsubishi WD-62725
> Samsung HLP6163W
> Sony KDF-55XS955
>
> I like the pictures and input capabilities of these TVs.
> I have been reading many reviews, with little to no negative data on any
of
> these TVs.
> (but for .. I don't like the remote too much, type of remarks)
>
> I guess most people changing over to HD are just blown away by the
> difference. Its hard to find anything wrong.
>
> Anyone have any opinions on any or all of these TVs ?
> Anything would help greatly.
>
> Thank you
> Jon

Anonymous
January 16, 2005 3:31:32 PM

Well you're going through the same "hunt" I just completed...after 3 months.
I'd add the JVC as suggested. My OPINION I just didn't see a Hitachi I
liked during my search. I also had "problems" with the Toshiba 62hm84,
although I've read it's a great set as well. The Tosh was the set I
actually went out to buy first...so YOUR hunt my change directions at any
point in time.

No other LCD/DLP-LCOS was as good as the Mits 725 to MY eye.
The pq of the JVC wasn't up to par with the sony or mits and the colors were
almost TOO bright/runny/saturated. But I almost bought it anyway because of
the price(about $800 bucks cheaper than the mits, 300 cheaper than the
sony). It was that close.

The Sony is a FABULOUS tv for the price/features and had the best styling of
any set I looked at. I almost bought it as well. I only had one problem
with it and that was the "screen/grid" pattern of the LCD screen and it's
clarity when viewing analog content. At around 10' or so, It was
acceptable, but still noticable to ME. Had the salesman come down 300 bucks
that night, it would be sitting in my living room. I would sway you to the
60xs955 since you're looking at the larger TV's. I also didn't like the
memory card slot being proprietary(sony memory stick only) as I take a lot
of digital camera shots and the mits has like 3 of them!! The sony has 2
HDMI ports and the mits, only one. However, since I've elected to use cable
card I only need one port for the dvd player anyway so this advantage
"cancelled". The mits is TON more money than the sony...well, it was in my
area anyway. So that's another big advantage for the Sony.

So what did I buy? I went with the mits 62725 based on one thing. It just
looked best to me when viewing HD AND analog tv AND I never saw a rainbow on
any DLP while shopping and still haven't seen one in my living room either.
But they DO exist...so you MUST do your own shopping/viewing. The mits also
has a "glossy" type screen cover that can produce a "glare". The screen is
removeable however. Glare wasn't a concern due to my viewing situation.

Also, the sony and mits have a built-in tuner and cable card. The JVC has
neither...well the old model doesn't. The new JVC coming out does. You
might want to check that. The cable card apparently has a better
quality/less signal loss than the stb/converter...as reported in several
fourms. I do NOT have the cable card, so I can't vouch for it. But come
Wednesday, I'll let you know:-)

My advice would be to go look at the new JVC, Sony and Mits and take another
month to decide. I'd buy the one that looks best to YOU based on
HD/DVD/analog viewing....and let the "deal" you get help you with that
decision. If I hadn't got a great deal on my mits, I'd be watching the Sony
right now. That's some good leverage to have. I shopped at 4 different
stores, REPEATEDLY!!! hehe. So I got a good sample rate of varying
setups/cable/satellite/OTA. Also, don't forget to check out the warranty's
too....that's another decision for you to make.

Bang for the buck? I don't think you can beat the Sony. If you've got a
couple extra to spare, the mits is a good choice.

Good luck
Don

"Jon Delano" <jd31068@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 10:49:59 AM

Dave Gower wrote:
> "Art" <plotsligt@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>>And possibly dropping the second, due to reliability and service related
>>problems.
>
> Yes, the more I read the more negative comments I see about Sammy RPTV
> products. That's kind of surprising, since right now I'm staring at a 10
> year-old Samsung 17 inch CRT monitor that just refuses to quit. It was
> photo-quality clear when I bought it and is still that way. Kind of annoying
> actually, since I'd love to get one of those 19 or 21 inch LCD monitors but
> can't justify discarding my old faithful friend.

Not everything that gets posted here about Samsung is based on actual
owner experience. Best bet is to take a look at actual owner reports on
AVS Forum. You'll find some problem reports to be sure, but you'll also
find a lot of happy owners and a company that stands behind their products.

My Samsung DLP is just over a year old, and I remain delighted with it.
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 4:28:35 PM

Jon Delano wrote:
> Wow, thanks to everyone for all the great info.
> I will certianly checkout the JVC for sure.
>
> The prices are all pretty much in the same ballpark ... with the
Samsung
> being the cheapest and the Mits the most expensive.
> Of course the sony 60 might be right with the Mits. Frye Electronics
didn't
> have one there when I was there last.
>
> Again, I greatly appreciate all the time and info.
>
> Take care
> Jon

The Jan/Feb issue of The Perfect Vision has a review of the Sony which
is available for download.....actually download the entire issue for
$10. They also review another Mitsu DLP. FYI, they like both sets.

Interesting that when they reviewed the Sony and compared it to a
Panasonic DLP they remarked how similar the pictures appeared side by
side. It's true that you often don't see bad reviews but I'd say it's
likely that there will be something about the TVs that will bug you
once you get to live with them.....any of the technologies. It's just
a matter of tolerance level and your viewing preferences. In fact, I'm
reminded of the whole rainbow issue. Right now in the AVS forum there
is another 'rainbow poll' where it appears that half of the respondents
see them. Take it for what it's worth to you. Ideally you'll have a
liberal return policy....just in case.
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 7:00:31 PM

Wow, thanks to everyone for all the great info.
I will certianly checkout the JVC for sure.

The prices are all pretty much in the same ballpark ... with the Samsung
being the cheapest and the Mits the most expensive.
Of course the sony 60 might be right with the Mits. Frye Electronics didn't
have one there when I was there last.

Again, I greatly appreciate all the time and info.

Take care
Jon
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 8:42:28 PM

My suggestion is check consmer reports.
"Jon Delano" <jd31068@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I have decided to bite the bullet and jump into the HDTV pool.
> Can't wait.
>
> I've been going to stores and checking out some TVs.
> I have basically narrowed my selection down to 3 sets.
>
> Mitsubishi WD-62725
> Samsung HLP6163W
> Sony KDF-55XS955
>
> I like the pictures and input capabilities of these TVs.
> I have been reading many reviews, with little to no negative data on any
> of these TVs.
> (but for .. I don't like the remote too much, type of remarks)
>
> I guess most people changing over to HD are just blown away by the
> difference. Its hard to find anything wrong.
>
> Anyone have any opinions on any or all of these TVs ?
> Anything would help greatly.
>
> Thank you
> Jon

January 19, 2005 12:32:31 AM

In article <-uednfEzxp_nKXbcRVn-oQ@adelphia.com>,
usemylastname@cheerful.com says...
> Dave Gower wrote:
> > "Art" <plotsligt@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >
> >>And possibly dropping the second, due to reliability and service related
> >>problems.
> >
> > Yes, the more I read the more negative comments I see about Sammy RPTV
> > products. That's kind of surprising, since right now I'm staring at a 10
> > year-old Samsung 17 inch CRT monitor that just refuses to quit. It was
> > photo-quality clear when I bought it and is still that way. Kind of annoying
> > actually, since I'd love to get one of those 19 or 21 inch LCD monitors but
> > can't justify discarding my old faithful friend.
>
> Not everything that gets posted here about Samsung is based on actual
> owner experience. Best bet is to take a look at actual owner reports on
> AVS Forum. You'll find some problem reports to be sure, but you'll also
> find a lot of happy owners and a company that stands behind their products.

Yeah, conversely you can find horror stories about every HDTV and
manufacturer (heck right now there is an active thread here about some
weird issue with a Mits that Mits is refusing to properly service.) If
you can find more threads about Samsung, that fact needs to be tempered
by the fact that Samsung has been -very- successful, and has sold a lot
more units than Mits.

> My Samsung DLP is just over a year old, and I remain delighted with it.

Yeah. Me too. :)

They're a victim of their own success, to an extent.

A number of years ago our service techs observed that *all* they ever
worked on were Motorola phones, thus concluding they had significant
'service and reliability issues'... of course this was at a time when 9
out 10 phones we were selling were Motorola.

You've got to look at the whole picture.

That's not to say they haven't had their share of problems, but by and
large that's all they've had: *their share*
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 12:14:02 AM

I have a Samsung 50 inch Pedestal HDTV...Love It.

"Art" <plotsligt@comcast.net> wrote in message
> And possibly dropping the second, due to reliability and service related
> problems.
> "Dave Gower" <davegow.removethis@magma.ca> wrote in message
>>
>> "Jon Delano" <jd31068@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I have decided to bite the bullet and jump into the HDTV pool.
>>> Can't wait.
>>>
>>> I've been going to stores and checking out some TVs.
>>> I have basically narrowed my selection down to 3 sets.
>>>
>>> Mitsubishi WD-62725
>>> Samsung HLP6163W
>>> Sony KDF-55XS955
>>
>> I would strongly suggest adding a fourth one, the JVC HD-61Z575. Same
>> price range, with a basic technology that in spite of being new and hence
>> still being shaken out, is the best available, IMO.

Anonymous
January 22, 2005 1:07:00 AM

In article <u4AHd.4009$zr4.364@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>,
"Joan and Alan" <jraynes@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

> I have a Samsung 50 inch Pedestal HDTV...Love It.

I have had the 56" version for three days and I love it too.

January 24, 2005 10:05:19 PM

Somewhere around Fri, 21 Jan 2005 22:07:00 -0700, while reading
alt.tv.tech.hdtv, I think I thought I saw this post from Michelle Steiner
<michelle@michelle.org>:

>In article <u4AHd.4009$zr4.364@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>,
> "Joan and Alan" <jraynes@cfl.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> I have a Samsung 50 inch Pedestal HDTV...Love It.
>
>I have had the 56" version for three days and I love it too.
I've had a 46 inch for a couple of months, and it's been great. I see no
problems, no rainbows, very good SD. Looks great, and it's only 70 lbs.

Marty - mjf at leftcoast-usa.com
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...
well, I have others." - Groucho Marx
January 25, 2005 8:07:21 PM

Somewhere around Tue, 18 Jan 2005 17:42:28 -0500, while reading
alt.tv.tech.hdtv, I think I thought I saw this post from "Philip B
Kirschner" <philk02nospam@optonline.net>:

>My suggestion is check consmer reports.
Did you? Last I looked (a month or so ago), they had almost nothing except
promises to get to it someday. Maybe they finally did?

Marty - mjf at leftcoast-usa.com
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...
well, I have others." - Groucho Marx
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 2:38:01 PM

Well thank you for all the input.
I finally pulled the trigger and got the 62" Mitsubishi 62725 ... the
superbowl was brilliant (plus I'm a Pats fan)

HD it truly outstanding.

Here is another question, I have gamecube and xbox. I connected them using
the standard RCA cables.
Tried to play HomeRun Kings on Gamecube and there was a noticible lag in
response time.

Is this because I am using the RCA cables ? If I change over to composite,
will this go away ?

Thanks
Jon

!