help with Wireless/ethernet router filesharing?

Applejoint

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007
Hi there, I'm currently trying to share a portable hard drive attached to my laptop (With Vista :( ) (320gb, LaCie, not sure what exact model) across a wireless network to a computer (with XP) that is connected to the wireless router via Ethernet Cable. Is this even possible? If so, there seems to be a problem either sharing the drive over the network (the computer it's attached to is able to recognise it as a networked drive), or with the network itself (the ethernet cable'd computer, when searching "Entire Network" in windows returns an error when searching in the workgroup "WORKGROUP" (the workgroup of both computers). Thanks a lot for your help, and sorry if this is in the wrong place :)

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
At least with my external drive every time I want to share it through the network I have to right click on it and set it to Share, for what ever reason it won't maintain the Share setting. It's why I got an extra drive in the computer it's usually connected to and save everything to that drive and then copy it to the external drive. Ultimately a lot easier

Applejoint

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007
Unfortunately, that's not the problem, it (the wireless-connected laptop) never recognises any other computers
even in the first place. I would just like to know if it's possible to share files from a computer connected wirelessly to a router to a computer connected to the same router via wiring. Thanks a lot for your help anyway :)

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Sharing files across a network regardless of how the computers are connected, hardwired or wirelss, should not be a problem. If the laptop doesn't recognize any of the computers on the network, start with making sure it has the same Workgroup name as all the others

MarkG

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004

Yes; that's exactly what I do here.

Note that even if you give read access to everyone you probably need to ensure that you have the same accounts on both machines with the same passwords; my Windows 98 machine couldn't see the files on the XP machines until I discovered that and created the appropriate login.

ged325

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
It's possible to setup a read only for everyone without using the same account info.

Apple: We need a bit more information:

OS for desktop & laptop?
Workgroup names for both?

It definately IS possible to share the external hard drive.

gse1

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
Have your got any third party firewalls or network monitoring software running on any of the PCs in question? If you have try temporarily turning them off and seeing if this resolves any issues.

TRENDING THREADS