Encrypt file attribute

In Explorer, if I highlight a file->Properties->Advanced Button.

The check-box "Encrypt contents to secure data" is disabled. Why?

More details -
OS = XP Home, SP2.
Account type = Administrator

Drive (where file resides) -
File System = NTFS
Not compressed
Not a network drive

File I want to encrypt -
Not compressed.
Not in use by another application
None of the directories/folders above are compressed (I've walked up the
entire tree to the root - is that a contradition in terms? :) )

Anyone?

Thanks.

--
Jooster aka
Matt Pickering

Home can't encrypt.
"Jooster" <mattp@peps.com.joostersaysnotospam> wrote in message
> In Explorer, if I highlight a file->Properties->Advanced Button.
>
> The check-box "Encrypt contents to secure data" is disabled. Why?
>
> More details -
> OS = XP Home, SP2.
> Account type = Administrator
>
> Drive (where file resides) -
> File System = NTFS
> Not compressed
> Not a network drive
>
> File I want to encrypt -
> Not compressed.
> Not in use by another application
> None of the directories/folders above are compressed (I've walked up the
> entire tree to the root - is that a contradition in terms? :) )
>
> Anyone?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Jooster aka
> Matt Pickering
> Wednesbury
> West Midlands
> UK

Home? Does that mean the root directory (eg c:\ )? If so, I'm not trying to
encrypt a file in the root directory or the directory itself.

I use Explorer to navigate to the folder where my file is. I then access the
properties for a file within that folder. The Encrypt button is disabled....

c:\
|------ some directory
| |------- FileA.txt
| |------- FileB.txt <--- Rt-click this (or any)
file->Properties
| |------- FileC.txt

|------ some other directory
etc

Cheers,
--
Jooster aka
Matt Pickering

Jooster wrote:
> Home? Does that mean the root directory (eg c:\ )? If so, I'm not
> trying to encrypt a file in the root directory or the directory
> itself.
>
> I use Explorer to navigate to the folder where my file is. I then
> access the properties for a file within that folder. The Encrypt
> button is disabled....
>
> c:\
> |------ some directory
> | |------- FileA.txt
> | |------- FileB.txt <--- Rt-click this (or any)
> file->Properties
> | |------- FileC.txt
> |
> |------ some other directory
> etc
>
> Cheers,
>
>> Home can't encrypt.

No. It means that Windows XP HOME edition does not have File Encryption! You
need to get the Pro version if you want to use the encryption feature.
--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

http://www.dts-l.org/

OS = XP Home, SP2
> Home? Does that mean the root directory (eg c:\ )? If so, I'm not trying
> encrypt a file in the root directory or the directory itself.
>
> I use Explorer to navigate to the folder where my file is. I then access
the
> properties for a file within that folder. The Encrypt button is
disabled....

> c:\
> |------ some directory
> | |------- FileA.txt
> | |------- FileB.txt <--- Rt-click this (or any)
> file->Properties
> | |------- FileC.txt
> |
> |------ some other directory
> etc
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Jooster aka
> Matt Pickering
> Wednesbury
> West Midlands
> UK
>

> "David Candy" wrote:
>
> > Home can't encrypt.
> > "Jooster" <mattp@peps.com.joostersaysnotospam> wrote in message
> > > In Explorer, if I highlight a file->Properties->Advanced Button.
> > >
> > > The check-box "Encrypt contents to secure data" is disabled. Why?
> > >
> > > More details -
> > > OS = XP Home, SP2.
> > > Account type = Administrator
> > >
> > > Drive (where file resides) -
> > > File System = NTFS
> > > Not compressed
> > > Not a network drive
> > >
> > > File I want to encrypt -
> > > Not compressed.
> > > Not in use by another application
> > > None of the directories/folders above are compressed (I've walked up
the
> > > entire tree to the root - is that a contradition in terms? :) )
> > >
> > > Anyone?
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Jooster aka
> > > Matt Pickering
> > > Wednesbury
> > > West Midlands
> > > UK

Ronny, David,

Thanks for that. OK, so I can't do it. I'll stop looking now.

David - "Home" - duuuuh! How can I be so stupid at times.

Thanks again,

Matt

--
Jooster aka